Time management lol

Old Jul 10th, 2015, 07:44 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Time management lol

Hello everyone i have couple questions in regards to my trip to Europe this September. On the second half of my three week vacation i will be flying into Edinburgh Scotland on September the 12th, we will have 15 days of which we are planning on spending 2 days in Edinburgh, from there we are making our way to the lie of Skye where we are planning to spend 4 days, carrying on we are travelling to Inverness on the 20th to catch a flight to Dublin. Once in Ireland we are planning on heading to the South West of the Country . My main Questions are is 4 days enough time to see the ile of skye? what places should i make an effort to see in Edinburgh as well as south west Ireland, it's looking like we will have 6 days to explore Ireland any suggestions on itineraries from Dublin? We fly out on the 27th from Dublin. Thank you for your time

Cheers,

Brad
Old Jul 10th, 2015, 08:03 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
1) more than enough, 2 to 3 is enough
Old Jul 10th, 2015, 08:11 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
You could spend weeks on Skye hiking and climbing. But just for a visit, 4 days is very nice, generous even. (It is 2 or 3 days longer than most itineraries we see on here )

As for Edinburgh -- since you won't be jet lagged 2 is ok-ish. 3 would be better IMO but you can see a lot in 2 days.

Instead of driving straight to Skye ( it is a looooooong haul) I'd break my journey either in the Trossachs or in/near Glencoe. The would break the drive and also let you explore some really gorgeous places enroute.

Inchmahome, Falls of Dochart, lochs and waterfalls in/near the Trossachs and/or Glencoe/Rannoch Moor/Loch Linnhe
Old Jul 10th, 2015, 11:06 AM

Not sure about the Lie or the Ile of Skye but the Isle is great.
Old Jul 10th, 2015, 12:06 PM
ESW

As you have plenty of time to visit the Isle of Skye, consider using the Glenelg ferry for one of the journeys either on or off the island. This is reached down a long winding unclassified road off the A87 at Shiel Bridge (do a detour for the Glenelg brochs)and drops you off at Kylerhea with another long winding road back onto the A87.

The ferry is small and is the last manually operated turntable ferry. It is a step back into the past and is great fun.
http://skyeferry.co.uk/

IRELAND - I’m assuming you will be hiring a car.

Day 1 Arrive Dublin and spend the rest of the day doing the city

Day 2 Visit Newgrange neolithic tombs. Plan on visiting both Newgrange and Nowth. Both are different and it is worth doing both. Make sure you get there early as tours are booked on a first come first served basis and if you arrive later in the day there may not be any spaces left.
http://www.knowth.com/newgrange.htm
Then continue to Trim for the castle. Return to Dublin for an overnight.

Day 3 Drive down through the Wicklow Mountains with a stop at the early Celtic monastic site of Glendalough, possibly one of the loveliest places in Ireland.
http://www.glendalough.ie/
Then drive to Cashel for the Rock of Cashel, a dramatic ruined castle which towers above the town.
http://www.cashel.ie/
Plan on spending the night either in Cashel or nearby Cahir or if you are wanting to push on west think about Mallow.

Day 4 Head to Killarney and do the sites - these include Torc waterfall, Loch Leane, Gap of Dunlow (if intending to drive this, then do later after the jaunting cars have finished) Ross Castle, Muckross House and the traditional farms... Plan to spend the night either in Killarney or Kenmare (smaller and less touristy).

Day 5 Do the Ring of Kerry OR the Ring of Beara and return to your base in either Killarney or Kenmare.

Day 6 Finish doing the sites around Killarney and then head back to Dublin OR if you feel you have done the SW, head towards Athlone and visit the monastic site of Clonmacnoise on the way back to Dublin.
http://www.sacred-destinations.com/ireland/clonmacnoise

If you cut out the Newgrange Day you could add the Dingle Peninsula to your time in Killarney.