Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Ireland Itinary Help (Dublin, Galway, Killarney, Cork)

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 27th, 2017, 03:08 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello,
My husband & I will be traveling to Ireland September 2018 and we have a general Itinerary but would like to get some feedback & opinion on what we think will work. We don't want a jam packed trip, we want to be able to enjoy the Pubs and Local Culture but also want to make sure we don't spend 10 days in a Pub... Would like to see a Castle or two, Cliffs of Moher, and Ring of Kerry, Husband wants to Kiss the Blarney Stone and possibly 1 day of golf. We have 9 nights in total and this is what we where thinking:
Day/Night 1, Arrive Dublin AM—no plans
Day/Night 2, Hop On/Off Bus & Sites
Day/Night 3, Guinness & Jameson Whiskey Class
Day/Night 4, Depart Dublin drive to Galway (~2.5 hrs)—spend afternoon/evening seeing Town of Galway
Day/Night 5, Tour Cliffs of Moher (thinking of Full Day Tour from Galway to Cliffs of Moher)
Day/Night 6, Depart Galway drive to Killanrey (~2.5 hrs)— Drive Ring of Kerry (not sure how much time to allow would also like to check and the town.
Day/Night 7, Golf in Killanrey – possibly @ Killanrey Golf & Fishing Club
Day/Night 8, Depart Killanrey to Cork (~1.5 hrs)
Day/Night 9, Spend in Cork—Blarney Castle & Kiss the Blarney Stone (I know cheesy but Husband wants to do this)
Day 10 depart Cork for Edinburgh, Scotland (early AM flight--heading to Scotland/St Andrews for Golf)

Any feedback would be appreciated, we haven't booked anything yet just trying to get a plan together.
Thanks in advance, Jennifer
Old Nov 28th, 2017, 03:33 AM

Can only address Dublin: I felt Dublin very compact and walkable but then no matter where I am I never do HOHO. Don't know how long your class will take but we LOVED Malahide Castle a 1/2 hour bus ride outside Dublin. Started as a 12th century bastion and continually built upon, so we move through the centuries. I believe original family left only in 1975.
Old Nov 28th, 2017, 11:42 AM

I think day 6 is way too tight. I would not recommend driving from Galway to Killarney and then doing the Ring of Kerry. We usually allow a full day for the ring either from Killarney or Kenmare.
Perhaps depart Galway in the morning, golf in the afternoon. On day 7 do the Ring of Kerry. I'm not sure where to put in the town of Killarney itself with Muckross House and the National Park. There is alot to see there. Maybe add a night to Killarney and depart for Blarney on Day 9 - do the castle and kiss the stone on the afternoon of day 9.
Note spelling - Killarney, not Killanrey.
Old Nov 28th, 2017, 10:09 PM

Received 26 Likes on 5 Posts
We had 2.5 days in Dublin in February, and found that with careful planning (online ticket purchases) we were able to see the main sights in 2 days just by walking or taking the local bus, as well as spending a half day in lovely Howth, walking along the cliffs and beachcombing.

The Jameson Whisky factory was under renovation so we could not tour. Even with advance purchase tickets for the Guinness Factory, though the queues for the Pouring Academy were prohibitively long. The two are a little more than a kilometer apart in terms of walking. Just something to keep in mind.