Time frames for Central Europe trip

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 18th, 2004, 07:43 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are in the early very early planning stages for our trip to central Europe, hopefully, next year.
We'd like to visit Prague, Budapest, Krakow and Warsaw (?).Is this too ambitious for 2 weeks? I know the tour buses do this and more and include Berlin and Vienna, but do realize this is not the thing to do. We don't want to be racing around, but do want to see as much as we can. Any advice on time frames and how many cities we can comforabely visit in two weeks would be greatly appreciated.
Old Jan 18th, 2004, 07:50 AM

We've been to the 1st 3 on your list and spent 4 nights each place. that's 12 nights right there and then you have travel time. Plus, there are some other marvelous places to visit in between. You'd be stupid not to take advantage of the Danube bend area between Vienna and Budapest. Eger in more norther Hungary is lso enjoyable. For a different flavor of Poland ther are some small mountain rsorts west of Krakow. My opinion is that Warsaw is adding way too much. In the Czech Republic we also enjoyed the smaller towns of Trebon, Telc, Cesky Krumlov and Kutna Hora. This last trip we went out of our way to visit Treblinka. I wouldn't spent my time doing that if you are planning to visit Auschwitz when you go to Krakow. I guess I should also add that I have been to Krakow twice and Budapest twice so that tells you that you can fill your time there easily. We have found that there is alot more than just the large capital cities everyone visits.
Old Jan 18th, 2004, 08:43 AM
Original Poster

Thank you Julies. That's exactly the kind of info I was looking for.
We want to have an enjoyable trip, and packing in too much would spoil it. We also are not intent on spending only time in the big cities. So recommendations for smaller areas are appreciated.
We'll cut out Warsaw and go from there.
Thanks again.
Old Jan 18th, 2004, 06:23 PM
Original Poster

ttt. Any more ideas? I'd appreciate any help.
Old Jan 7th, 2005, 03:30 PM

Last may we went to Prague, Budapest and Vienna for ten days. A highlight of our trip was a trip to a gypsy camp in the forest outside of Budapest. It was somewhat commercial but the head of the gypsys and their dance and food was a great evening and it is what we all talk about first when we think about Budapest. We arranged the tour through Gate1 Travel but I am sure any travel agent there could help. The outfits, music, dancing and food was outstanding. Plan some unusual events it has worked for us. You will have a wonderful time in all of the cities you mentioned!
Old Jan 24th, 2005, 07:26 AM

I can recommend some town in the Czech repblic. I´m from CZ. If you want see the best, visite Prague, Kutna Hora, Cesky Krumlov, Telc and main city of wine in the Czech Republic - Mikulov. It´s on the border CZ - Austria convenient to Viena (50 miles). There is unique Viticultural Exhibition in the Chateau. The display also includes a remarkable vat from 1643 in the Chateau cellar. When we tell you that a craftsman and his three assistants worked on it for 38 weeks to finish it, you will not be surprised by its noteworthy capacity - 101,400 litres. Very seductive is chance to explore viticulture and wine in small wine-cellars of mikulover wine-growers, taste local wines, listen and see cymbalo. The cellar of Mrs. Solarikk is very unusual. It is located in a cave. From Viena you can go to Bratislava and Budapest by boat. More information www.mikulov.cz
Old Jan 24th, 2005, 08:21 AM
MaureenB

We went in early June, for 12 nights to Vienna, Prague and Munich. We don't like to pack up, travel and check-in/out of hotels everyday-- we're a family with two older teens-- so four nights in each place was ideal. We liked having the time to soak up the atmosphere of each place, plus make day-trips into the countryside.

Early June was perfect-- not very crowded with tourists yet, and flowers blooming everywhere with clear weather except for one morning of rain in Salzburg.

You will love it. Have fun planning.