Search

Time Estimates for Clearing Customs/Immigration/Passport Control

Search this Thread

Old Mar 15th, 2015, 07:30 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Time Estimates for Clearing Customs/Immigration/Passport Control

Hello!

My husband and I are US citizens with global entry flying to/from NYC, but I'm curious about the estimated times to get through the various international airports we're visiting for our trip in September. I'm trying to figure out as I plan my itinerary approx what time we'll be arriving at our hotels to see if we need to plan for killing time before we can check in (or try to negotiate with the hotel for an earlier check in). We'll be checking bags on each leg, and taking cabs from the airports to the hotels, so I'm factoring that in too. It's been a number of years since either of us have travelled internationally, so I don't remember how long anything took.

*US to Heathrow --> At Heathrow, how much time approx to get through all security check points (customs/immigration/passport control)? We're flying Virgin Atlantic if the terminal matters.
*Gatwick direct to Santorini --> same question, flying Easy Jet.
*Santorini direct to Barcelona --> same question, flying Vueling.

Thank you in advance!
Old Mar 15th, 2015, 07:42 AM

Heathrow's always up in the air, but it shouldn't take that long. Depends on where you're sitting on the plane and how many people are ahead of you in line at passport control. Customs is nothing, go through the "nothing to declare line".

Santorini should be a breeze and you will not be passing through passport control or customs flying into Barcelona since Greece is still a member of the EU.
Old Mar 15th, 2015, 07:46 AM

When flying from Santorini to Barcelona there will be no Customs/Immigration/Passport Control, only ticket and luggage check-in. If you're at the airport 1-1.5 hours before departure you'll be fine. When you land in Barcelona there will be no Customs/Immigration/Passport Control there either, just luggage retrieval.
Old Mar 15th, 2015, 07:56 AM
Original Poster

Okay, sounds like we'll definitely have to kill time in Barcelona.

Our flight leaves Santorini at the crack of dawn (3:50am), so I think I'll have a hard time convincing the hotel to let us check in that early.

Thanks all!
Old Mar 15th, 2015, 08:06 AM

Being EU members has nothing to do with there being no passport controls for the Santorini - Barcelona leg. Britain is also EU, but not a member of Schengen, whilst Greece and Spain are.
Even if Greece were to leave the EU (which is unlikely any time soon) it could remain a member of the Schengen area, just as Norway is.
There will be security to go through of course as well as check-in at your departure airports.
Old Mar 15th, 2015, 08:27 AM

With your schedule, I recommend you book the hotel one extra night so that you can check in that morning instead of having to wait until mid-afternoon. Most hotels will accommodate you. It beats walking the streets for endless hours with nowhere to rest.
Old Mar 15th, 2015, 08:29 AM
Original Poster

@robert2533, yes I was thinking the same thing. Probably will be zombies at that point given the time we have to wake up.
Old Mar 15th, 2015, 08:41 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
>>taking cabs from the airports to the hotels<<

Taking a taxi makes no sense at all for LHR. Where is your hotel? A pre-booked car service is door-to-door just like a taxi -- and even better since the driver meets you as you exit Arrivals -- and much cheaper

justairports.com is one of the best.

As for arriving at your hotel early -- most London Hotels don't offer a pre-paid early check in option. If your room is available they will let you check in, if not you leave your bags w/ the bell captain.

Passport control and Immigration are the same thing, and 'Customs' is practically non-existant -- assuming you have nothing to declare you simply walk through the green door.

The main variables are 1) IF you land on time, 2) IF your plane gets a gate immediately or has to wait, 3) how far back you are sitting and the time it takes to deplane, 4) how far out the gate is/how long the walk to Passport Control (often (VERY long), 5) the queues at Passport control (could be short, could be loooooong partly depending on how many long haul flight land around the same time 6) how long it takes for the luggage to come out . . . so long story short - you have no idea how long it will take. Could take 1 hour at the airport and another hour into the city . . . or it could take 2+ hours at the airport plus transport (If you are flying up front in a premium cabin some of the above is expedited)

(Global entry will help when arriving back at JFK but doesn't apply to immigration in the UK/Europe)
Old Mar 15th, 2015, 08:43 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Given the threats Greece made last week to "open the doors to all immigrants and let them into Europe" they may not be in Schengen for ever. ;-)
Old Mar 15th, 2015, 08:48 AM

Received 22 Likes on 4 Posts
It all depends on how many other flights land when your does. It took us an hour to clear passport control at LHR in September, but whizEd through Athens airport.