Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Time between Landing in Madrid & Puerta De Atocha?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 3rd, 2022, 10:55 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are schedule to arrive Madrid on a trans-Atlantic Iberian flight at 7:55 am on a Saturday morning and are trying to decide what train we can realistically make reservations for.

Our choices are 9:35 am and 11:35 am. I've researched travel times between the airport and train station via metro, private car, etc, but I'm not sure how much time to allow for passport control, deplaning, etc.

Would the 9:35 be a reckless choice? I hate to spend more time at the train station than I need to, but nor do I want to feel stressed on our arrival.

Thanks so much for a reality check!
Old Mar 3rd, 2022, 11:23 AM

For an estimated time you'll be out of the airport and at the taxi rank and on your way to Puerta de Atocha, there are many variables.
It depends on-
...how far the walk is from your gate to the underground automated people mover that will transport you from T4S, the satellite terminal, to T4, the main terminal used by One World carriers,
...how many flights are landing at a similar time, which can determine the wait to pass through passport control & immigration
...how much time it takes to collect your luggage, if you have checked bags. Luggage reclaim can be a very slow process, very stop and go.
...but before picking up any checked bags, you'll also need to pass through the health screening area where your QR code will be scanned and your vaccination certificates checked. Make sure you have your documents in order, as they do check thoroughly.
....then make your way to the taxi rank to catch a taxi to Puerta de Atocha (flat 30 euro fare).

The 9:35 am train just won't be realistic. I now give myself amply cushion, allowing 3 hours for the whole process from landing at T4S to reaching Atocha, passing through security there where luggage is screened and waiting for my train track to be announced.

Hope this helps.
Old Mar 4th, 2022, 06:53 AM
Original Poster

Thank you Maribel ! This is incredibly helpful and--sigh--confirmed what I was afraid of.

We aren't checking luggage, which will save 1 step, but you've convinced me it makes 100% sense to book the later train.

We have our fingers and toes crossed this trip to Spain happens, though in this time of Covid I'm not sure I'll believe it until we are actually in the air.

Thanks again!

Old Mar 4th, 2022, 09:56 AM

You're welcome. Hope you have a great and uneventful trip!
Old May 15th, 2022, 12:09 PM
Original Poster

Thanks again for the input, Maribel . You were exactly right. I'd guess the whole thing took 2 to 2.5 hours, including time spent tidying up in the bathrooms at the airport, locating the train from T4 to Atocha (a great way to get into the city) and then finding our platform for our train from Atocha to Malaga.

We were able to use the time to buy sandwiches to eat on the train, and it was nice not to be have to rush when feeling bleary-eyed from a transatlantic flight.

Spain was fantastic. I can't wait to find a way to return.
Old May 15th, 2022, 12:24 PM

Glad you enjoyed your trip to Málaga, one of my favorite Southern cities and to Nerja and Frigiliana!