Reload this Page >

Time between flights - switching airports in London

Old May 15th, 2016, 03:57 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello!

I'm flying into Heathrow on a Friday - landing at 11:40am and I'm taking a flight out of Gatwick that same day to fly to Faro, Portugal. How much time do you think I need to leave between flights? Arrival, customs, transfer and then checking in at a new airport? Can I make a 4pm or a 6pm flight? Thanks in advance!
Old May 15th, 2016, 04:53 PM

Could take an hour or so for immigration and customs. Then I remember the bus ride was about an hour. And - I think - the bus only runs once an hour for that could be about two hours total. Then check in and security. Maybe for 4 pm but I would do the 6 pm just to be safe.
Old May 15th, 2016, 05:08 PM

I agree, I wouldn't go for the 4pm. I'd try the 6pm but either way you could have a problem if there's a delay.
Old May 16th, 2016, 05:35 PM
Original Poster

Awesome! Thanks for the advice! We booked the 6pm flight. Fingers crossed we don't get delayed!
Old May 16th, 2016, 09:27 PM

Buses are around every 10 minutes. Travel time varies according to which bit of Heathrow you start from and which Gatwick terminal you want to get to, and according to the time of day. From LHR T5 to Gatwick North is 45 minutes at best: from T2/3 to Gatwick South during a busy peak time, it's not unheard of (though unusual) to take 2 hours.

The killer, though, isn't the journey time: even at the busiest times, the buses do keep moving, though often imperceptibly. It's the uncertainty of when you actually emerge from Heathrow airside, baggage in hand and - especially if using a low-cost carrier to Faro - the non-negotiable timetable for advance luggage check and presenting yourself, security-cleared, at the Gatwick gate.

Even if this is a one-ticket journey on BA and you've got boarding cards before leaving home, they'll throw you off the flight if you're not at the gate by however many years prior they specify.