Time at wineries

Search

Time at wineries

Search this Thread

Old Sep 27th, 2004, 07:55 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Time at wineries

Will be going to burgundy area next month and plan to visit a number of wineries in a 3 day period of time. I am trying to get an idea of how many can be visited in a day. Approximately how much time should be allotted to enjoy the tastings of a winery, with and without a tour included.
Old Sep 27th, 2004, 08:32 AM

Depends on the winery. Burgundy is not like Napa, where you have these huge tasting rooms for each producer. In Beaune and some of the larger towns there are large tasting rooms, which I found to serve fairly mediocre stuff. We searched out some of the more independent producers - we actually knocked on the door of their homes. As for larger tastings I recommend Pommard, Chateau des Lambrays (the winemaker was a really nice person - took us into the gardens of the owners home), and Philip LeClerc.
Old Sep 27th, 2004, 08:33 AM

Frankly, I wouldn't try to see more than two a day--three at the absolute tops.

My husband is in the wine business and so we often have to cram our days with appointments. Things start to blur together (even though we usually spit, not swallow) and we find that we have to be much more diligent about notetaking.

If you can, you may find it more enjoyable to split your days between wine tasting and other activities. Although for three days, you might be fine. But I find that even the most devoted oenophile needs a break after five or six days of tasting.
Old Sep 27th, 2004, 08:33 AM

Sorry, really didn't answer your question. We spent about an hour at Chateau des Lambrays, and about 20 minutes at Philip LeClerc. It all depends on how many people are already there, and if you can engage the pourer into a conversation about the wines. Some are fairly knowledgable, some are not - they just pour.
Old Sep 29th, 2004, 11:01 AM

Billruth:

You may need to make reservations to get into some of these wineries in France for tours etc. Do a search and plot out the wineries that you really want to go to.

How many you can visit in a day depends on you, your pace, your goals and objectives...and your appointments where needed.

You can not accurately pin a time allotment on every winery because every winery has a variety of wines, vintages, policies, people etc.

If you want to enjoy then go with the flow. Do you plan for a lunch in between visits? That changes things too.

In France...enjoying the various wine regions that my hubby and I visit...we average about 6 wineries a day. Sometimes more sometimes less.

IMHO two wineries a day is a complete waste of travel time and travel money UNLESS one of the two wineries is hosting a 5 course sit down winemaker luncheon and the other winery for that day is hosting a 7 course winemaker dinner...We have enjoyed such days in France, Spain, Australia, and throughout Argentina and Chile...and throughout North America too!

We are winno's and have family in the business. If you do 1 or 10 a day you will be just fine. Be responsible, spit lots and buy!

Check with your airlines on what you can and can not carry back with you or tuck in your luggage with out battling them, TSA or customs...they all have different policies and October is going to be a VERY difficult travel month because of the USA election.

You will probably see more red, yellow, orange, purple, blue, green and pink alerts than you can stomach.

Happy Tasting!