Search

Napa Winery Tours

Search this Thread

Old Jan 11th, 2005, 06:56 AM
vannevka

Napa Winery Tours

hi! we are headed to napa in april for a few days and i've gotten a lot of great information from searching previous posts. so thanks!

if we plan to visit 4-6 wineries each day, how many tours should we plan on doing? i assume they become overkill at some point but a lot of the reviews of the different wineries say that the tour was great.

thanks!
kari

Old Jan 11th, 2005, 06:58 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
We did 2 per day so we could take our time. I'd recommend Cakebread Cellars and Schramsberg (they have caves where they keep their champagne).
Old Jan 11th, 2005, 07:57 AM

I've been on 4-5 tours of wineries in my life, some in Napa Valley and two in Italy, and I'd say one would have been enough. As background, I enjoy wine drinking, but seem to have a genetic inability to distinguish between almost all wines! I'm about as bored at a winery as my husband is in a bookstore (I could spend all day in a bookstore).

IMO, the process is pretty much the same everywhere to make wine. If you're interested in the actual process (as opposed to the wine itself), then you may be more interested than I was at seeing what kind of wood, for example, is used for their aging casks, or which caves the various wines are aged in.

My husband is majorly into wine, but even he isn't interested in all the tours. He has much more fun chatting with the people who pour the wine at the wine tastings. By the way, if you want more individual attention and want to talk to those people, go early in the day (though it's not so good a time of day to drink wine!).
Old Jan 11th, 2005, 08:09 AM

If you don't know the winemaking process, I would agree to do one winery tour of vineyards, caves, etc. The process is basically the same for all the rest with regard to crushing, fermenting, pressing, racking, and bottling, although some of the techniques may differ.

After you've done your one wine tour, the rest should just be plain old wine tasting. Everyone's taste is different, Find something you really like and buy a few bottles. Get a designated driver if you plan to indulge.
Old Jan 11th, 2005, 11:00 AM

I would add a sparkling wine-champagne-
tour in addition to one winery tour.
Since you are in Napa-try Mumm.
The process is a bit different.
As previously said-that's enough
for tours. 4-6 wineries a day ????
How many days ??
I think that's alot(and I live in the region)-when are you going to eat lunch or just enjoy the place?
(The very idea of wine tasting at
10AM makes me quesey!) Definetly have a designated driver!
R5

Old Jan 11th, 2005, 11:21 AM

I had my fill of tours after about 2-after that I was interested in the wineries and their "extras" i.e. Sterling has a lift that you take to the top of a hill and the grounds are gorgeous. Coppola has a beautiful building and his movie memorabilia, V. Sattui has a deli on grounds where you can get lunch and picnic on the grounds, and as someone else mentions Schramsburg, also gorgeous grounds.