Tight transfer times - what would you do

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 16th, 2020, 05:09 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am looking at two flights with tight connection times. Both are on a single ticket.
One is Zurich to Boston with a one hour layover in Amsterdam (on KLM)
Other is Zurich to Boston with a two hour layover in CDG (on Air France)

The second one costs $65 more than the first. What would you do?
Old Feb 16th, 2020, 06:16 AM

I'd view them as about equal security, so I wouldn't pay more for the second. But it might depend on other factors also which you don't name, such as the plane, and how much it costs to upgrade to premium economy or economy plus or whatever they call it. I now usually fly United as it is fairly cheap on them compared to Air France/KLM who charge a lot for that. If you aren't even considering that, it doesn't matter but the plane matters to me. I'd prefer Airbus, not a fan of B777s. If one of those flights is an A330, which I think it is, those have 2-4-2 seating which is nice if you want just two seats on the side. I much prefer AF in-cabin service to KLM, but I wouldn't choose a flight based on that.

I presume there is a reason you are doing that since there are nonstop flights on that route on Lufthansa/Swiss.
Old Feb 16th, 2020, 06:26 AM

Received 26 Likes on 4 Posts
Departure time could be the deciding factor for me as I really dislike a morning rush for the airport. I'd pay that little bit extra to avoid it.
Old Feb 16th, 2020, 07:13 AM

There are 3 flights daily from AMS to BOS on KLM, which flight is your option on? If one of the 1st 2, I would take the option via AMS on the basis that if that was missed, there is/are 1 or 2 more flights that day that you could potentially be rebooked on (if available).

2 hour layover in CDG is not a tight connection, AMS is an easy airport to transfer even for 1 hour connection.

There are 4 daily flights from CDG to Boston, same idea as the AMS connection. If it is the last flight of the day and the connection is missed, you'll have to overnight and try for the next day.
Old Feb 16th, 2020, 07:15 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the replies
Both of those have similar departure times - mid afternoon which is perfect for me.

This is the return flight for a trip where the first flight is non stop Boston to Paris which I definitely want. I'd rather have the non stop starting my trip than at the end and don't see any airline that has non stops for both.

I think AMS is a better airport and if the first flight is delayed it will be up to them to get me on another. Just worried that the first flight is on time but I can't get through the airport to the second flight in that one hour.
Old Feb 16th, 2020, 07:35 AM

In either case you will be leaving Schengen at that airport so you will need to go through passport control as well as security. Amsterdam is an easy airport to navigate but the distances between gates can be huge.
If KLM say it is a legal connection time then go for it. Make sure you check-in for the entire trip online asap, and have you boarding passes on your phone. If you have time at Zurich you can probably print them both out there as well, but if not you will have them on the phone in anycase.
Old Feb 16th, 2020, 11:22 AM

I think Odin's consideration is important. If your second flight is the last flight of the day to Boston, and you miss that flight, you'll have to spend the night at the connection city. The airline should give you a hotel voucher, since you're on a single ticket, but if you have a pressing need to be home that day, you might want to consider an earlier flight.

Sometimes they'll give you the option of a flight to a different city if you miss the last flight of the day to your destination. In that case, you might be able to get on a flight to New York and proceed to Boston by train. Another possibility is that they get you to Boston with another connection in the US.
Old Feb 16th, 2020, 03:19 PM
Original Poster

I decided to go with the tight connection. I don't care if I don't get home that day (as long as they pay for the hotel). I'm a pretty fast walker, and I have an aisle seat near the front of the plane, so if the first flight is on time I should be able to make it - according to the information on the airport's web site. The only way I won't make it is if the flight is late and then it's on them. I hope!

Despite the fact that the price jumped $200 during the booking process (and no it was not the seat res, the price just jumped, and I closed everything out and re-started twice and the same thing kept happening - I guess bait and switch) it was still the best deal I could find, other than the tight connection the times were all excellent for me, non-stop on the way over which I wanted, and priced better than any of the 6 other airlines I checked.
Old Feb 16th, 2020, 10:35 PM

Originally Posted by isabel
I decided to go with the tight connection. I don't care if I don't get home that day (as long as they pay for the hotel). I'm a pretty fast walker, and I have an aisle seat near the front of the plane, so if the first flight is on time I should be able to make it - according to the information on the airport's web site. The only way I won't make it is if the flight is late and then it's on them. I hope!

Despite the fact that the price jumped $200 during the booking process (and no it was not the seat res, the price just jumped, and I closed everything out and re-started twice and the same thing kept happening - I guess bait and switch) it was still the best deal I could find, other than the tight connection the times were all excellent for me, non-stop on the way over which I wanted, and priced better than any of the 6 other airlines I checked.
Next time you book online, use a private window, so your earlier activity on the booking site doesn't influence pricing algorithms.
Old Feb 17th, 2020, 03:13 AM

Originally Posted by isabel
I think you'll be fine. A short connection time for me in AMS is 40 mins, I travel thru that airport several times a year, from non Schengen to Schengen etc, have only missed connections 1 or 2 times. It is true that distances between gates can be quite far and you need to walk quickly. KLM is very organised with those who have missed connections, in arranging hotels, meals (set menu), rebooking next available flight. The next available flight is not always the next one. Sometimes the luggage hasn't made it but I have, again that is rare and I have always received it later same day or next day, by courier at home or hotel.