Tight Train Transfer Times

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 16th, 2024, 07:16 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Re short train transfer times in Germany and Italy. I did a couple of train trips a long time ago and remember that connection times are often 10 minutes or so and often in distant tracks and up and down steps. We're going in Sept and see that train schedules are still this way. We're packing light. Wondering if the short times are really an issue or does it all usually work out? And I see that cheaper tickets say "Train-Specific Travel". Does that mean you can't ride the next train if you miss the connection?

For instance, I see that the train(s) from Koblenz to Rothenburg have several tight (i.e. 9 and 12 min) transfers. Appreciate any words of wisdom.
Old Mar 16th, 2024, 11:50 AM

In my experience, in Germany, when the second train is going in the same direction, it's waiting right across the track.
Old Mar 16th, 2024, 12:18 PM

Hi stephenjohnson,

You can easily change the transfer time on your search -- just look for the "options" drop-down menu. You can change it from "normal" or something like that to 15, 20, 30, or more minutes. Once I grew older, I began using 15 or 20 minutes for all my transfer times, as the days of running down the tracks and flying up and down stairs with a suitcase have ceased to be fun.

But FYI, if DB sells you a connection, they are saying it is a workable connection for the majority of folks. But if your arriving train is delayed or you miss your connecting train because of their error, you can just catch the next train. The conductor on the new train will be aware of the status of your arriving train.

Oh, also, the DB tells you exactly where the arriving trian & departing train will be located -- the track numbers are given in the schedule info.

Have fun as you plan!

s