Reload this Page >

Tight Connection...Can We Do It?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 11th, 1998, 08:24 PM
Dayle

<BR>My friends and I are wondering if we could make it between Orly and de Gaulle airports on a Saturday morning? The flight from Nice would arrive at 9:00 am and our flight back to LAX leaves deGaulle at 12:50 pm? Enough time by taxi, for customs, etc.? Your advice is appreciated!

Old Sep 11th, 1998, 10:00 PM
Martha

Dayle-- If you decide to do this, the fastest way would be to take the RER rail line (no traffic tie-ups.) If you were going the other way, I'd say, no problem. But, since you're talking about the possibility of missing an international flight, with, probably, huge penalties for missing the flight, not to mention frantic relatives at LAX.... There are worse places to spend a night than Paris! Have a good trip, whatever you decide. Martha

Old Sep 13th, 1998, 11:47 AM
Louis

You might make it or miss the flight to LAX. This depends on when you arrive in Orly. If you can check your luggage to LAX from Nice, this will be a big plus. While they require two hours for checkin on international flights you might get by with 1 1/2 hours. That means you have to be in line at the checkin counter by 11:20 am giving you 2 hours and 20 minutes to get to CDG from Orly. It is not unusual to be late and you need time to get luggage if it can't be checked through. Allow 50 minutes for both items. This leaves 1 1/2 hours to get to CDG. If you go by rail you have to take Oryval to Anthony which runs every 2-4 minutes and allow about 15 minutes for this leg including getting to the oryval platform and getting to the RER platform. Then you will take RER B to CDG and I believe its has to be a B3 train. These leaves every 20 minutes. If you just miss one you have to allow 20 minutes more. I don't know how long it takes to get to CDG but allow 20 minutes which I believe to be on the low side and it could be at least 30 minutes. This says that you have used up a minimum of 55 minutes or more if you take the RER. The average time on the Air France bus between the two airports is 50 minutes. I am certain that a taxi would be faster than the bus and you would start sooner and get to the right ailine sooner regardless of the travel time due to less time spent getting to and from departure and arrival areas. <BR> <BR>Without question, I would take a taxi and it will cost around 300F plus tip and luggage. <BR> <BR>I would not take the RER. One wrong move finding Oryval and finding the right train at Anthony would assure failure and then you have to run around with the luggage. <BR> <BR>It you take a taxi, with reasonable luck you should get to your counter with at least 2 hours to spare. Start worrying if you are not in a taxi by 10 am. If you are not on your way by 11 am you most likely will miss the flight as a no show. If you do make it by luck your luggage may not. <BR> <BR>If you have a though ticket from Nice to LAX your risks are a great deal less.

Old Sep 13th, 1998, 06:28 PM
Dayle

Thank you for the advice! We are trying to change our hotels and return flight to spend the last night in Paris rather than possibly blow the whole thing! That you be an expensive mistake! <BR>

Old Sep 13th, 1998, 07:57 PM
Donna

You are most wise to reconsider. I would recommend either spending the night before your return flight in Paris or near the airport. We seasoned travelers (as outlined in detail above) have learned to plan to contingencies! If you do stay in Paris, be advised that it is smart to arrange for a taxi (via the concierge, someone at the front desk, or call a taxi company) the night before, if not several days before. Also, you should find out from your airline what their "check-in" policy happens to be. Some are very strict. It is essential to arrive at the airport with plenty of time to spare and check in right away.

Old Sep 14th, 1998, 10:25 AM
kam

I think you have two good choices here. First to try to get back to Paris the night before, and as stated above, book a taxi the night before just to be sure. Or, can you find a flight from Nice to Charles De Gaulle? Air France does some domestic flights into CDG. For instance next month we will fly UA to CDG and Air France to Toulouse also from CDG. I would never risk the running around Paris on trains with luggage trying to get from one airport to the other. If you must stick with your current itinerary, check your luggage through to LAX (it's only dirty clothes, after all at that point!) and take a taxi. Good luck. <BR>

Old Sep 14th, 1998, 08:12 PM
Dayle

Thanks everyone. Out of our group of 4, 3 are pretty experienced, and LIGHT, travelers so luggage is not a major issue. We will stay in Paris and have a last night on the town! Thanks again, all! <BR>