Search

Ticino Base

Search this Thread

Old Dec 19th, 2022, 11:22 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ticino Base

Booked a trip in July.

Plan is to take a train after a few days in Rome to Milan, rent a car there, drive to Stresa and stay there for a few days.

Initially I had thought about Locarno and Lugano as bases, 4 nights in each city. But now I've thought more about 5 nights in Stresa and 5 nights in Lugano and do a day trip from one or the other instead.

I wondered whether Locarno would be that different in scenery from Stresa to justify staying there.

Lugano is very expensive, unsurprisingly. But it seems it's near other places which could be great day trips like Monte Bre, San Salvatore, Generoso. Como is only 30 minutes drive and Menaggio is 40 minutes.

Are there other options which I may have missed?

After Lugano, probably will stay a couple of days in Milan before flying out of MXP. Or maybe just 1 night in Milan if adding another night in Lugano would be warranted.

Does Half Fare Card makes sense for a 4-6 night stay in Lugano? Will have a car but I guess it depends on the weather if I will make pricey excursions like Generoso.

Old Dec 19th, 2022, 12:09 PM

Received 19 Likes on 4 Posts
scrb, I had your dilemma, the more I looked the more I found to do in the area, which justified my split of bases between Stresa and Locarno.
We are going in May/ June, so miss a few of the lifts to alpine lake reservoirs like Robiei, but
I found plenty to do with the many valleys and hamlets and waterfalls, charming lakeside towns, and easy to visit Lugano and Bellinzona from Locarno.
I tend to base for 7-9 nights anywhere, and when I started I thought one base would suffice, now I have easily filled both 😎
Old Dec 19th, 2022, 01:45 PM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Adelaidean
scrb, I had your dilemma, the more I looked the more I found to do in the area, which justified my split of bases between Stresa and Locarno.
We are going in May/ June, so miss a few of the lifts to alpine lake reservoirs like Robiei, but
I found plenty to do with the many valleys and hamlets and waterfalls, charming lakeside towns, and easy to visit Lugano and Bellinzona from Locarno.
I tend to base for 7-9 nights anywhere, and when I started I thought one base would suffice, now I have easily filled both 😎
Going mostly by photos in Google Maps, it seems Locarno doesn't have as much scenery over the lake as Lugano. Cardada looked interesting, high above Locarno and looking across the lake. The valleys and hamlets did as well but was looking more for panoramas.

This webpage compares Lugano and Locarno.

https://www.touringswitzerland.com/l...ich-is-better/

Old Dec 19th, 2022, 03:02 PM

Received 83 Likes on 5 Posts
You can get some great lake views above Locarno. Here are a few photos I took in 2021:

We based in Locarno for five nights and visited Lugano, Ascona and Bellinonza from there.

This year we spent five nights in Bellinzona, which I preferred to Locarano.

Last edited by Melnq8; Dec 19th, 2022 at 03:05 PM.
Old Dec 19th, 2022, 03:14 PM
Original Poster

Great pics Melnq8.

Are the first two from Cardada?
Old Dec 19th, 2022, 04:27 PM

scrb - they were taken at Cimetta, which is above Cardada. The third photo was taken above Madonna del Sasso, a detour after the cable car back down to Orselina.

Old Dec 19th, 2022, 04:43 PM
Original Poster

Ah I thought the chair lift went up to Cimetta-Cardada so I assumed it was the same thing.

Old Dec 20th, 2022, 07:17 AM

It's done in three stages.

Funicular from Locarno to Orselina, cable car to Cardada, perpendicular chairlift to Cimetta.

This will take you to the map if you scroll down to #71:

Swiss Sojourn

Last edited by Melnq8; Dec 20th, 2022 at 07:21 AM.
Old Dec 20th, 2022, 07:57 AM
Original Poster

Thanks again Melnq8.

Hmm, Covid funicular. Wonder if there's a way to walk back down for the last stage.

Masking may be less now.
Old Dec 20th, 2022, 08:16 AM

Lugano and Locarno offer much more possibilities than Stresa, all the year round.
The best places to stay are not necessarily downton, but on the slopes above Lugano (Ruvigliana, Suvigliana, Aaldesago, Albonago, Muzzago, Montagnola, etc.) and Locarno (Orselina, Brione sopra Minusio, Monti della Trrinita.
The villagesand hamlets above the lakes are real gems too, llike Carona, Vico Morcote, Cademario. Cimo, Vernate (Lake Lugano) or Ronco sopra Ascona, upper areas of Brissago, Fasano, Piazzogna, Vairano, Roco-Gerra, Saant'Abbondio, Caviano, Vairano (Lake Maggiore).
Locarno is a bit closer to the mountain valleys (with Basodino Glacier and more than 20 mountain lakes) whereas Lugano is a bit closer to Lombardy.
Lake Como (Cernobbio) is a 25 min drive from Lugano (resp. 1 hr from Locarno): all motorway.
Old Dec 20th, 2022, 08:54 AM

No masking when we were there in Sept/Oct this year. Last year a different animal altogether. And I think you probably can walk if so inclined.
Old Dec 20th, 2022, 09:00 AM

Masking was nonexistent in October, though perhaps that has changed. I wish I had worn one--I finally got covid on my trip, and unknowingly spread it to others in a cable car I am sure.
Old Dec 20th, 2022, 09:33 AM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by neckervd
Lugano and Locarno offer much more possibilities than Stresa, all the year round.
The best places to stay are not necessarily downton, but on the slopes above Lugano (Ruvigliana, Suvigliana, Aaldesago, Albonago, Muzzago, Montagnola, etc.) and Locarno (Orselina, Brione sopra Minusio, Monti della Trrinita.
The villagesand hamlets above the lakes are real gems too, llike Carona, Vico Morcote, Cademario. Cimo, Vernate (Lake Lugano) or Ronco sopra Ascona, upper areas of Brissago, Fasano, Piazzogna, Vairano, Roco-Gerra, Saant'Abbondio, Caviano, Vairano (Lake Maggiore).
Locarno is a bit closer to the mountain valleys (with Basodino Glacier and more than 20 mountain lakes) whereas Lugano is a bit closer to Lombardy.
Lake Como (Cernobbio) is a 25 min drive from Lugano (resp. 1 hr from Locarno): all motorway.
Hmm, I will have to research more about Stresa vs. Locarno.

I've already booked the flight and have 10 nights to allocate in Lake Maggiore and Lugano. I think Lugano is pretty much a certainty so I have to see between Stresa and Locarno.

About where to stay in Lugano, are you talking about areas around the train station, so that you can take the funicular up and down to downtown?

Just looking at Google Maps, it seems more dining and lodging options down at the water level. I know a lot of the alpine hotels offer half board options, so I guess that's one option to avoid having to go to the downtown area for meals.

But I'm avoiding indoor dining so I'd prefer places with outdoor tables or will do takeout if I have to.