Three Weeks in Europe - Help!!!

Old Jun 6th, 2024, 04:42 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Three Weeks in Europe - Help!!!

First, I am a solo traveler. I love exploring on my own, but fractured my spine a few months ago. While I'm mobile again, there are a few issues with too much climbing or heavy exertion. I'm going to be spending three weeks in Europe. I'd like to go to Andalusia (not sure where) with a side trip to Morocco. Is Morocco a day trip or do I extend that to a night or two? I'd like to then do two parts of Italy, Berlin, and possibly fit in Instanbul. Is that too much?
I have been to Paris and Barcelona, but am open to any other places or itineraries. I've always gotten amazing tips from my Fodor's travelers, so if my ask isn't too much, could you please help me form this trip. Also, If a fourth week is needed, I could do that.

Thank you!!
Old Jun 6th, 2024, 06:45 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
yes, this is way too much, really there is a lot of Europe and just darting around is crazy.

Now what would be useful is roughly when is this 3 or 4 week trip?

Last edited by bilboburgler; Jun 6th, 2024 at 07:33 AM.
Old Jun 6th, 2024, 06:51 AM

That is like saying I want to do California but am not sure where, with a day trip to Mexico, and then I want to go to two parts of Florida and to New York, maybe with a side helping of Canada too, all in three to four weeks.
You are trying to do way to much.
As bilbo asks when are you planning this insane marathon?
Old Jun 6th, 2024, 07:41 AM
Original Poster

Well, I wasn't planning on just darting around. I was looking at starting off in Andalusia with an excursion to Morocco, just not sure how long to plan for Morocco. My hope is to do a week in Spain. From Spain I'd like to go to Berlin which I'd use as a base for a week with an excursion to Manheim. For the third week I'd like to go to Italy, probably Venice and maybe Naples. I was very interested in going to Instanbul and thought of adding a fourth week to travel towards there. Also, I am looking at going in July through August.
Old Jun 6th, 2024, 07:46 AM
Original Poster

I'm sorry you think it is an insane marathon. No disrespect, but I came for help. I mentioned a specific area in Spain and in Germany. I was less specific in Italy because I was interested in ideas. And while I am open to comments that think I'm trying to do too much, I was looking for ideas or direction. If you'd like to contribute some, great. If not, I understand, but I have been on forums before where people were helpful without mocking.
Old Jun 6th, 2024, 08:06 AM

I wasn't mocking you.
When are you travelling?
Old Jun 6th, 2024, 08:20 AM

no one mocking, you came for advice and received it.

Morocco, it depends where you go, if you catch the ferry I'd stay for a night, but Tangiers is very European. I prefer Marrakech even though it has a European quarter, or Rabat.

June into August is not just very hot but when all the European tourists come out to play. During that period I tend to go to Germany, and northern Europe and even then there may be very hot days. Going to Naples in August is close to bonkers, and getting bookings with a pool will be hard but go for it.

An easy and more comfortable holiday would be to focus on the north of Spain and look at Bilbao, Santander, then into France before heading up to Paris (after the Olympics) and heading through Netherlands up to Denmark.
Old Jun 6th, 2024, 08:21 AM
Original Poster

I am looking to go in July. Leave early July. And I appreciate it!
Old Jun 6th, 2024, 08:29 AM
Original Poster

Thank you! Funny, but Bilbao was originally my starting point. Now that you're mentioning that, I think I'm going to include it. Maybe Bilbao to Andalusia, Morocco, and maybe Germany, save Italy for another time?
Old Jun 6th, 2024, 08:37 AM

Originally Posted by writealiving
Thank you! Funny, but Bilbao was originally my starting point. Now that you're mentioning that, I think I'm going to include it. Maybe Bilbao to Andalusia, Morocco, and maybe Germany, save Italy for another time?
You see that is what we call darting about. Remember climate change. Travel responsably and go see some interesting places, like Toulouse, Bordeaux, Paris etc
Andalusia in July will be dry, hot and probably on fire
Old Jun 6th, 2024, 09:03 AM

VERY SHORT VISIT OF MOROCCO
Ryanair has 3 weekly fllights from Malaga to Marrakech. so you could do for example:
Day 1:
Malaga dp 14.00 (check in 12.00) - Marrakech. Afternoon and evening at Marrakech
Day 2:
Morning at Marrkech, dp by train 14.50 by train to Meknes ar 20.30
Day 3:
Visit Meknes and Volubilis. Sleep at Fes
Day 4:
short visit of Fes. Affternoon bus to Nador and taxi to Melilla, dp 23.59 byovernight ferry
Day 5: Malaga ar 7.30
You would of course need much more time for a visit of the Kasbahs in he Atlas mountains, the sand dunes of the Sahara desert or the beach resots along the Mediterranean Sea and the Atlantic ocean.

Last edited by neckervd; Jun 6th, 2024 at 09:07 AM.
Old Jun 6th, 2024, 09:09 AM
Original Poster

Yes, I can see your point about the darting, lol. My apologies for being offended earlier. I have been to Paris, but will look at your other suggestions. Thank you! Also, thank you neckervd, I appreciate the Morocco itinerary!
Old Jun 6th, 2024, 09:20 AM

Originally Posted by neckervd
VERY SHORT VISIT OF MOROCCO
Ryanair has 3 weekly fllights from Malaga to Marrakech. so you could do for example:
Day 1:
Malaga dp 14.00 (check in 12.00) - Marrakech. Afternoon and evening at Marrakech
Day 2:
Morning at Marrkech, dp by train 14.50 by train to Meknes ar 20.30
Day 3:
Visit Meknes and Volubilis. Sleep at Fes
Day 4:
short visit of Fes. Affternoon bus to Nador and taxi to Melilla, dp 23.59 byovernight ferry
Day 5: Malaga ar 7.30
You would of course need much more time for a visit of the Kasbahs in he Atlas mountains, the sand dunes of the Sahara desert or the beach resots along the Mediterranean Sea and the Atlantic ocean.
neckervd’s short glimpse of Morocco is perfect. I personally found Marrakesh rather glitzy and touristy, much preferred Fès. Volubilis and Meknès are little gems.

Many people go to Tanger, mainly because it’s so close from southern Spain. But it’s a city of little or no interest, same with Casablanca too, which is the main commercial capital.

Ideally you’d need at least 10-12 days to go up country into the Atlas mountains, but this will give you a little taste. You can come back for more another time.
Old Jun 6th, 2024, 10:17 AM

I have been to Andalusia in the summer and enjoyed it immensely. However, I do have to admit that the summer is not the ideal time to go. Walking in Seville and Cordoba in the summer is like walking on the sun. There is more relief on the coast and at higher elevations.

So it depends. When we traveled there our kids were still in school. Summer was the only possibility for our vacations. If you are in that situation, by all means do not hesitate to go.

However, if this is not the case for you, then I can tell you that Prague and Krakow are two of my favorite places in Europe, and do not have that same kind of punishing sun. A trip involving those two cities plus Vienna (and maybe points between) would be a spectacular trip.

Last edited by shelemm; Jun 6th, 2024 at 10:21 AM.
Old Jun 6th, 2024, 10:22 AM
Original Poster

Thank you, shelemm, I am a teacher so it is the best time for me to have an extended period. Prague and Krakow are both on my eventual list. I know my post was overly ambitious and greatly appreciate the advice!
Old Jun 6th, 2024, 11:33 AM
mjs

Can you drive?
Old Jun 6th, 2024, 03:24 PM

No-one has touched on your trip within Germany, Berlin to Mannheim. They are quite a long way apart, so I don't think you would be able to think of Mannheim as an 'excursion' from Berlin. It's 5 hours by train, longer by car - at least 7 hours. I am going to suggest that you fly into Berlin from Spain, go from Berlin to Mannheim to Frankfurt all by train, and fly out of there, either to your next destination (Italy???) or home. Had you thought of a RTW ticket? That might help you get to all these places. Mannheim is a bit of a different choice of destination, it's not really a tourist destination but quite interesting. It's a round city built on a grid and each street on each square has a letter and a number. I don't remember much else about it except I once went there for an art exhibition and saw an 18th-century desk with a map all inlaid in the wood of the desk. I think it was just there for the exhibition, but it was very beautiful and detailed.

Yes, a little crazy - you will spend a lot of time on transport, I think this might be closer to 4 weeks. But if you can get that extra week, I think you might be able to do it, or do it with a few adjustments. Can you do us a plan with destinations and number of days in each location, and a day between each for travel? I think you might want overnights in Berlin and Mannheim.

Lavandula
Old Jun 6th, 2024, 03:44 PM
Original Poster

Thank you Lavandula! My daughter lived in Mannheim when she studied abroad, and loved it. I like the idea of flying from Spain to Germany and then taking a train from Berlin to Mannheim. Thanks to the comments here I have a little bit better sense of things. I'm going to come up with a more organized itinerary and post and see what everyone thinks. I do appreciate all of the advice from everyone.

mjs, I do drive. I was not planning on driving and instead relying on public transportation. I live in NYC and remembered being amazed in Paris at how easy it was to navigate getting around.
Old Jun 6th, 2024, 10:36 PM
mjs

I have not traveled overseas in the northern hemisphere in the months of July and August for many years due to costs, crowding and weather. Parts of Europe, particularly in the south has been hit in recent years with heat waves to the high 30's and forest fires in the south of Spain, France, Greece..... We were in Rhodes in April and saw how destructive the fires can be. This year as my partner is on sabbatical we might go somewhere at the end of July for 2 weeks. Considering Hokkaido, Switzerland the Scandinavia. I personally would not do Morocco and the south of Europe due to weather. I think northern Spain Basque country with Bilbao, San Sebastian and up towards Bordeaux could be a good part of your trip and I think most easily done by car. If you like beautiful scenery driving around Norway is quite easy although you might get some rain and it's not that congested as it seems most tourists seem to do Oslo and cruises as a way to visit Norway. London is always good for a week visit and you could spend some time in the English countryside if you could find decent accommodations during this time in short notice. Ireland (which might be crowded) and Scotland might also work. Would do no more than 3-4 different areas of Europe with four weeks.
Old Jun 7th, 2024, 03:48 AM
Original Poster

Thank you everyone for the great advice. Let me also apologize because I did throw a lot out there because of the ease and convenience of traveling through Europe, as opposed to here in the U.S. But, hetismij2 and bilboburgler were right in calling my plan a little crazy. I have heard about the heat, the crowds, etc. So I am changing plans with great apologies to all of you who took the time to offer guidance. I am going to do a 3 week Spanish immersion program in Spain with Bilbao as my base. I am going to explore local and still keep an eye on going to Morocco for two days. I am going to save Germany and the rest of the gorgeous continent for another trip.

I'd still love suggestions for the Bilbao leg.

Thank you again!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Your Privacy Choices -