Three quick Engadine questions

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 23rd, 2020, 05:19 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Will be in the Landquart area for a bit (DH biz trip) so am planning a daytrip to Scuol. A few questions:
Is it a pleasant walk to town from the Scuol-Tarasp station or should I take the bus closer in and then explore?
Should I stick to Scuol or get off at Ardez or Guarda instead?
Lunch restaurant recs? Prefer a nice salad or light meal (not a sandwich) to heavy cheese/potato based mountain fare. A really good pizzeria (thin crust) would also be fine, can have a salad with that. Any recs for wine bars that have good Graubunden wines on offer also appreciated.

Thanks
Old Jan 23rd, 2020, 12:02 PM

Received 19 Likes on 4 Posts
I think Mel is still on her road trip, I will just chime in for now.

I really liked Scuol, a great little town, lots of good restaurants (we liked our dinner at Astras on Stradun, Mel has lots of recommendations!) and the town has a couple of lovely plazas with Engadin architecture. I loved the walk to the lower church, and the grund plaza.

Coming from Landquart you change in Susch, we took the bus as the train line was being worked on.
The bus ride is wonderful. Can you do the Guarda to Ardez walk (1 hour), bus back to Scuol, and lunch there. There was nothing open for lunch in Ardez when we arrived, we just missed lunch service, plus there was only 1 place to eat anyway. If you like longer walks, there are lots of trails, as you know. But this is a great way to do an elevated flat mountain walk bookended by charming Engadin villages.

The walk to Scuol from the station is fine, downhill, 10 mins maybe? But the bus links perfectly, as expected
Old Jan 23rd, 2020, 12:22 PM

Scuol: the way down from the railway staton to the scenic village center is nothing to write home about. But it's only some 800 metres.
Buses leave always at the minute 30 (for example 9.30), That's 15 min after the arrival of the train from Landquart.

Guarda is the nicest Engadine village. Guarda railway station is a stop on request of all landquart - Scuol trains. 5 min after the arrival of the train starts a postbus to Guarda village some 200 metres above the railway station. Ther is NO bus at 13.10 and 15.10, however.
Ther is also a always open hiking trail from Ardez do Guarda Village.

Landquart is situated in the vine area of Herrschaft (brands Malanser, Jeninser, Flaescher).
The local vine served at Scuol comes from the Veltlin Valley, south of the Bernina Pass.
Don't know about Pizzerie. But don't forget to try the Tuorta da Nuschs Engiadinaisa (sweet nut cake from Engadin)
Old Jan 23rd, 2020, 12:32 PM

There are again direct trains between Landquart and Scuol (since early December).
There is a hotel restaurant (closed from endf March until end May) at Guarda village.
https://www.hotel-meisser.ch/
Old Jan 23rd, 2020, 02:52 PM

Received 83 Likes on 5 Posts
Guarda is definitely worth a visit, or better yet, walk between villages (sounds like you won't have time for this though). If you do find yourself in Guarda, do call in at Hotel Meisser for coffee and cake or perhaps lunch (if open).

Mund Art is a good spot for coffee and wine (Scuol).

Hotel Bellaval is our favorite eating establishment in Scuol - we love their Capuns and they have really good Bunder Gerstensuppe, as well as lighter fare. You can also get a local glass of grape here (we like Jeninser).

La Collina Hotel and Restaurant is our favorite place for pizza - they have local wine too.

And definitely don't miss the Engadiner Nusstorte mentioned above - our favorite Engadine treat - you can buy it by the slice or whole at places like La Collina (they make a nice one) or at the bakery located next to the COOP. If your accommodation has an oven or microwave, I suggest you take a whole one with you to share with DH - heat it and top with whipped cream. Divine.

As you can see, I think with my stomach

Last edited by Melnq8; Jan 23rd, 2020 at 02:57 PM.
Old Jan 23rd, 2020, 06:13 PM
kja

I loved the Hotel Meisser, where I stayed when in the area, and the walk from Guarda to Ardez is IMO a glorious one. I thought the walk from the castle in Tarasp to Scuol quite lovely, too.

Enjoy!