Three days Surrey drive tour-need feedback please

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 26th, 2018, 06:12 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi—Please review and advise----Three days' itinerary in need of editing?We've got three Surrey trip finale June days on this particular return tour. The first allows fewer options coming early from Wales. Days two and three are based daily in round trips (aka return) involving Bramley. Our Heathrow car drop follows on the fourth and final early afternoon headed on a return flight to New York.

As usual, I've overloaded an itinerary with the hope that kindly others familiar with the area, might help with some judicious pruning ideas.Generally we're aimed at avoiding larger environments (for the most part) and seeking advice cutting back a bit on haste. Please excuse the format as presented, but each day's taken precisely from the maps as drawn up thus far. Drive times are allegedly based on a few sites' generous averages, independent of unforeseen but likely complications.

~ Day 1 Head out early from Trecastle, Wales. We'll head directly to our first stop, hoping to tour commencing early afternoon. Our Surrey start-up agenda is currently listed as follows:
Worplesdon/ Godalming/ Milford/ Chiddingfold/ Dorking/ Brockham/ Blackheath Village/ arriving in Bramley dinner and sleep. 234 mi about 6 hours consensus drive time. I've a feeling this one might need the most trimming.

~ Bramley Day 2 West Clandon/ Oxted (tempting but too big for inclusion in terms of time?)/ Limpsfield/ Buckland/ Leigh/ Abinger/ Peaslake/ Shere/ Ripley/ ShamleyGreen/ Wonersh/ return to Bramley
96.1 mi three hours+ drive time average consensus

~ Bramley Day 3 with - or probably without - time for a charming but clock demanding busy Farnham, and whatever else:
Shalford/ Farnham?/ Bagshot/ Chobham/ Shepperton/ Weybridge/ Cobham/ Nat Trust Great Lacey/ West Clandon /Guidford/ Artington/ Shalford/ return to Bramley
75.9 mlles about 3+ hours drive time consensus

All editing feedback and alternate thoughts are most appreciated.
Old Feb 26th, 2018, 10:57 AM

What exactly are you wanting to do? Just drive around without any stops, or were there specific things you wanted to do in these places?
Old Feb 27th, 2018, 11:15 AM
Original Poster

We've collected multiple options for each site but I'm trying to keep this brief enough for readers . Efforts are aimed at seeking advice about our best options in each day and cutting back or replacing where more effective if need be.
Old Feb 28th, 2018, 02:58 AM

there is https://www.nationaltrust.org.uk/polesden-lacey close to dorking as well.. lovely property to visit.

Last edited by nikidi; Feb 28th, 2018 at 03:00 AM.
Old Feb 28th, 2018, 11:05 AM

You do have quite a lot packed in there. You will need to cut down a bi if it's not just a drivearoundt. What kinds of things appeal most in the various spots?
Old Feb 28th, 2018, 01:14 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
I have no idea what you are asking for. You have laid out a long list of towns - we have no idea why you chose them or what you want to see/do in the areas.
Old Feb 28th, 2018, 02:47 PM

You’ve done the research so you’re really the best-placed person to make the decision. As Janis says, it’s just a list of towns. Why do you think you want to go to these places? Here’s a thought: why not play it by ear once you get there?
Old Feb 28th, 2018, 03:29 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Your other thread puts a significanty different spin on things. 3 days finale after 7 week UK Tour Surrey or Wiltshire?

So now I'm wondering are you looking for a pretty full 3 day driving tour . . . or a place to sit and veg out for 3 days?
Old Mar 2nd, 2018, 05:52 AM
Original Poster

The first thread was designed for seeking editing and trimming ideas relative to each day. Those three were never meant to stand as a complete itinerary as structured.

This second one asks the question about which of the two areas might be more conducive for a winding down finale focused on pretty villages, countryside drives with the occasional interruption of a solid National Trust or English heritage inclusion. I hope that clarifies a bit.
Old Mar 2nd, 2018, 07:06 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
<<~ Bramley Day 2 West Clandon/ Oxted (tempting but too big for inclusion in terms of time?)/ Limpsfield/ Buckland/ Leigh/ Abinger/ Peaslake/ Shere/ Ripley/ ShamleyGreen/ Wonersh/ return to Bramley
96.1 mi three hours+ drive time average consensus..>>

well, I can certainly help you out with this day as I used to live about 3 miles from Oxted and 2 miles from Limpsfield so I can definitely tell you to bypass Oxted as there is absolutely nothing there to tempt anyone. That's not to say it's not a good place to live but I can see anything there to interest a tourist or even a casual visitor. Limpsfield is a pretty little village and was where the cello and the nightingale broadcasts were made in the 1920s and WW2 but apart from that and the church it won't delay you very long. Much more attractive is Westerham [keep going through Oxted along the A25, you can't miss it] where as well as Chartwell, [NT] you have statues of Churchill and General Wolf and the very attractive village green and Quebec House [NT, childhood home of General Wolf]. However a nicer route just after you leave Oxted is to turn right off the A25 onto the B269. which takes you across Limpsfield Chart [a beautiful wooded area] and after about a mile or so gives way to a stunning view over the Weald of Kent. [one of the best I've ever seen and one of the things I miss most after leaving the area 20 years ago]. Follow the road for another mile or so and just before you come to the village of Crockham Hill [pretty church, where Octavia Hill one of the founders of the NT is buried] turn left onto pretty Hosey Common road [B2026] and follow it into Westerham, where it comes out opposite Quebec House.

If you are interested in seeing more of the Weald, a very short diversion will take you to Toy's Hill and Ide Hill, both with nice country pubs. Toy's Hill in particular has great walks and wonderful views over the Weald, which helped to inspire Octavia Hill to found the NT:

https://www.nationaltrust.org.uk/toy...g-at-toys-hill

Nearby Emmett's Garden [NT] is lovely.

You could easily spend a very nice day [or longer] exploring this beautiful area.
Old Mar 2nd, 2018, 07:07 AM

I'm not sure about some of the places and whether they are worth driving through, for instance, Dorking, Oxted, Guildford (one way system & parking can be tricky but I guess you are going to Guildford to get to the other places), Bagshot, Weybridge, Shepperton (not sure studios are open to the public -lower Sunbury on Thames is a nice drive, short though), Cobham has the mill by the river to see and is close to Painshill Park, Silvermere is close by. Maybe you've already been to Richmond, Hampton Court, Bushy Park and Kingston upon Thames (busy town with nice riverfront/restaurants/market). Shamley Green/Shere/Ripley are really nice and the A281 south of Guildford.
Old Mar 3rd, 2018, 12:48 AM

Westerham's lovely but it's into Kent.
Old Mar 3rd, 2018, 06:19 AM

does it matter, nonconformist, which side of the county border a place is if it's worth seeing?

What this thread highlights is the difficulty of helping people when you only have half of the story. I'm sure it's not deliberate but it would have been really useful to know where else the OP was planning to go, though to my mind it would be odd to include Oxted in a Surrey itinerary, but to reject Westerham and the Weald because it's just over the border.
Old Mar 3rd, 2018, 07:52 AM

Fair enough It just seems a bit far from Bramley to me. There are other charming spots in Sussex and Hampshire which are easier to reach. Petworth for instance would be a great option - nice house and charming old village, and lots of other pretty villages in the South Downs area.

If OP's interested in gardens, there's Wisley.
Old Mar 3rd, 2018, 08:01 AM

Oh, and the Watts Gallery in Compton is worth a stop.
Old Mar 3rd, 2018, 12:39 PM

Fair enough It just seems a bit far from Bramley to me.>>

I don't disagree with that, but as the OP was planning to go to Oxted and Limpsfield, which I frankly wouldn't drive all that way to see, I thought that it was worth mentioning places that are within only a few minutes drive of them which are definitely very worth driving all that way [and IMO even further] to see.