Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

3 days finale after 7 week UK Tour Surrey or Wiltshire?

Old Feb 28th, 2018, 02:14 PM
Original Poster

3 days relaxing & rustic villages: Wiltshire or Surrey?
Feb 28, 2018, 5:07 PM
Neither my wife nor my I is tempted to ask which area is "better" as that's not a good or fair question. I've generally done the major big three viilages and a couple of primary towns in each of the two areas over many years, but this is more about a winding down drive tour in late June at the end of yet another extensive seven week UK visit.

I've been studying the merits of each for about a week each, utilizing the internet and guide books and find myslef starting to lean toward one over the other, knowing this is ultimately a matter more about personal taste than science. All we're sure of is we want a low key cosy finale before heading to a car drop-off at Heathrow.

So I come to ask residents of the UK in a bitter position to voice an opinion with decidedly more experience of both. If you won a three nights countryside oriented tour, complete with both National Trust and English Heritage passes for either area, and loved heavy on the loll, charming atmospheric short holidays away from it all, which would you choose (inclusive of a personal choice mix of potential inclusions, please):

Witshire or Surrey?

All good things ~
Old Feb 28th, 2018, 02:24 PM

>>I've generally done the major big three viilages and a couple of primary towns in each of the two areas over many years<<

Since you seem to be already very familiar with both counties, and you know which towns/sites you've already visited -- you are in the best position to choose one.

We don't know where you've been or what you enjoyed/didn't.

Either is a perfectly reasonable area to base. Me personally -- being that familiar with a place -- I'd probably just go by which ever fabulous hotel or B&B I wanted to stay.
Old Mar 1st, 2018, 08:02 AM
Original Poster

You're right of course. However, my familiarity is not intense re either area compared to others and over a lifetime some of those briefer memories are a bit faded. I agree that both would be well suited for a short three night excursion.

I'm just interested in to which of the two people would be either more inclined, (or at least differently incluined) and specifically why. That kind of would be most helpful.
Old Mar 1st, 2018, 09:03 AM

Wiltshire would be my preference, actually Dorset would be higher but if you have to choose.

I'd go off piste with the british footpath's map and go looking over hedges, along ridges, down into dew-ponds and out over barrows.

https://footpathmaps.com/

especially the Warminster/Shaftesbury/Salisbury triangle

just a bit late for https://www.dorsetartweeks.co.uk/ but that would have been good
Old Mar 1st, 2018, 10:57 AM

well I'm leaning towards Surry just because I know it better than Wiltshire but like Bilbo i would choose Kent instead. So much to see and do in a relatively small area, and vey easy to reach from London [fast train to LGW, pick up a hire car at the airport, there you are].
Old Mar 1st, 2018, 11:45 AM

I agree -- for gardens, castles, transport, vineyards/wineries, etc -- I'd choose Kent and/or East Sussex.

The OP has two threads running - this one for 3 easy/relaxed days and another for a much more hectic 3 days.
Old Mar 1st, 2018, 01:47 PM
Original Poster

We have more than a full Kent week among seven others not mentioned in this post and trip. Thus the original question still stands as posed, please.