Three days in Munich

Search

Three days in Munich

Search this Thread

Old May 17th, 2006, 04:12 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Three days in Munich

There seems to be sooooo much to do in Munich that I don't think we are going to be able to fit it all in in three days. Is this itineary possible or am I just kidding myself?
Day 1 arrive by car and check into hotel fairly early in the day, hopefully by 10:00am. Walk around the Marienplatz and the pedestrian zone, visiting the churches, town halls and Viktualien Markt for lunch. Then I would like to take a Mike's Bike Tour for the afternoon and wrap up our day at a Hofbrauhaus.

Day 2 Spend the morning at all of the Pinakothek's; Alte, Neue and Moderne. Afternoon go to the Residenz or the Nymphenburg Palace. Can't decide which, anyone have comments to help me decide. Once again end the day at a Biergarten.

Day 3 Morning to Dachau. Afternoon we have to decide if we want to go to the Deutsches Museum or either the Residenz or Nymphenburg Palace. Oh yeah, I think we will end up at a Biergarten in the evening again.

I really want to go on the bike ride and my girlfriend really wants to go to all the museums. Everything else besides the biergartens are optional.

Will this work? How would you do three days? Thanks for your comments.
Old May 17th, 2006, 06:58 PM

The museums are quite close so it'll be no problem to visit them. The Residenz is not far from the museums while the Nymphenburg is further out. The Residenz is engaging but I loved the Nyphenburg, the Carriage Museum alone was worth the price of admission. We spent 3 days plus a morning in Munich and had plenty of time for all including beer. We did skip Dachau not because we didn’t have time- it just wasn’t interesting to us.
Old May 17th, 2006, 07:47 PM
Original Poster

L84SKY, thanks for note. I'll definitely be sure to head for the carriage museum.
Old May 18th, 2006, 12:54 AM

We loved Residenz. When we visited it (10 years ago), you could do this in two separate visits, becuae is very big, and there are two separate tours. We took one in the morning, and another in afternoon. Both routes interesting, beautiful rooms, paintings, porcelains, etc.
Old May 18th, 2006, 12:58 AM

I loved the Deutsche Museum, but I'm kind of a techie nerd. If you aren't into technology and science quite as much, it might not be as fascinating. And if you don't read any German, it can be frustrating, because a lot of the exhibits are only in German, or just have an English title with no explanation. If you do go, make sure to ask when they're doing the high-voltage electricity demonstration. Even if you don't understand what they're talking about, 200,000 Volts is pretty impressive.
Old May 18th, 2006, 01:04 AM

For what you actually want to do, besides hitting the beer you should have plenty of time in three days. The Nymphenburg, for example, can be reached by tram from central Munich is a few minutes.

And I doubt you'll have that many "town halls" to actually see.

The Carriage Museum is definitely worht the time IMO. Enjoy Munich.
Old May 18th, 2006, 04:07 AM

You should also take into consideration the opening hours of the Alte and Neue Pinakotheks. Now this also depends on the days you are going to be there. What I mean is the Alte Pinakothek is closed on Mondays and open the rest of the week until 5pm, BUT on Tuesdays it is open until 8pm. Whereas the Neue Pinakothek is closed on Tuesdays, BUT on Wednesdays it is open until 8pm. So you may want to schedule your days and visits around that.
You can always visit the Pinakotheks from 5 or 6 o'clock in the evening, each on a different day, if you happen to be in Munich on a Tuesday and Wednesday. I suppose you can do biergartens after 8pm too.
At least this is how my wife and I will do in Munich this summer.
Old May 18th, 2006, 11:00 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the help. I will have to check the opening times for the Pinakotheck's, sounds like a good idea to go in the evening. So if you could only go to either the Residenz or the Nymphenburg which would you choose?
Old May 18th, 2006, 01:25 PM

If you do the Pinakotheks in the evening, then you'd have time to do both the Residenz and the Nymphenburg Palace, 'cause they're open till 6pm. And maybe even in the same day.
You can say that the visits to the Pinakotheks could be extras to any of your 3 days in Munich, since you can visit them after the regular hours of any other museum or palace.
I think you could easily visit both Nymphenburg and the Residenz. If you couldn't, then maybe I would go to the Residenz.
But couldn't you find 2 or 3 hours to include Nymphenburg?
Old May 18th, 2006, 07:32 PM
Original Poster

I got serious and wrote up a spread sheet with all of the open/close times of the Pinakothek's. We will be in Munich on a Sat/Sun and Mon only to find that none of them are open late those nights, darn. I think I will just have to institute the force march and move my girlfriend through the museums at a bit quicker pace. If all else fails, we can stay one more night and hit up the last site before we board the train to Salzburg. Thanks for the help friends.
Old May 18th, 2006, 07:44 PM

If I had to choose between the Residenz and the Nymphenburg, it'd be the Nymphenburg.
Old May 19th, 2006, 07:26 AM

Remember that Dachau is closed on Mondays.