Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Thoughts on our Latvia, Lithuania, Estonia itinerary?

Old May 18th, 2019, 01:16 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We will be spending three weeks in the Baltics this summer with our children (ages 6-11). We have planned our itinerary via a combination of blog posts, forums, and guidebooks. Because our kids are fairly young still, we are spending more time in big cities and nature zones, and probably won't do museums unless they're outdoor, living-history style. The list below is just the cities and the order in which we plan to hit them--we stay more than one night in several.

Many thanks in advance for the thoughts of those seasoned travelers who know the Baltics well.

​​​​​​Riga
Jurmala
Kuldiga
Klaipeda
Kaunus
Vilnius
Anyksciai
Daugavpils
Haanja natl park
Setomaa area
Tartu
Lahemaa park
Tallin
Parnu
Kihnu
Salaca lake valley
Sigulda
back to Riga
Old Jul 12th, 2019, 06:08 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi, I've just noticed your thread, and I am sorry to see none has replied with advice. I hope I am not too late.
I've been to Baltics quite a few times and would highly advise you to include Curonian Spit in your itinerary; it's deffo the heaven on earth type of place. Also, The hill of crosses is the kind of open-air attraction that would be interesting to visit for both the parents and the kids.

When are you planning to visit?
Old Jul 12th, 2019, 06:54 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You have seventeen places and, at most. twenty-one days. More likely nineteen if the three weeks includes travel time and jet lag. That is extremely fast for adults traveling on their own, never mind with kids. I wold be inclined to settle for two out of the three countries, or at least use the capital cities as bases and decide what day trips to do after you arrive.

For my visits to Tallinn and Riga (loved Riga, but I'm an Art Nouveau fan) start here (links at hte top of thepage): https://mytimetotravel.wordpress.com...round-tallinn/