Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Family trip Cairo-London-paris-belgium-amsterdam-cairo

May 31st, 2019, 12:40 AM
Original Poster

Hi everyone first time to post
am planing a family trip to visit these countries but dont know how to start and which to begin or end with.
any help? Planning to stay 1 week in each country, however would love to visit different t cities if possible.
any help?
May 31st, 2019, 04:39 AM

How many in family? Kids, teens, seniors? Ages and number of people matter.
When? Time of year? Weather will matter.
Have you traveled in Europe before? Where?
Exactly how many Nights will you have on the ground in Europe, not counting travel time to get there? Two nights in a place give you one day, three nights give you two days, etc. You must allow plenty of time getting from city to city, including time getting to and from hotels, plus train, bus, etc.
Different cities will require different amounts of time. A day is enough in some, a week is not enough in others.
Are you interested mostly in cities or want some small towns or countryside?
Any particular major sights you want to see or interests? Art, architecture, history, parks, food?

Advice for now. You will probably want multi-citi airfare, into one city, out of another.
Do Not Buy airfare until you have an itinerary completely firmed up!!! Do not let a travel agent sell you a crazy itinerary that has you backtracking all over the place, using up precious time.

Being new, you won’t be able to post much soon, so try to think of specific questions to get the most help right away.
May 31st, 2019, 04:45 AM
Original Poster

Sorry i guess i was bit vague ok its 2 adults, 2 seniors and 2 kids ages 7 and 8 flying from Cairo Egypt
we are planning for 20 to 25 days mainly activities for kids which includes interesting museums, natural parks, sightseeing amusement and aqua parks, zoo etc and during night time while they go to sleep would love to discover the countries and night life me and my husband
1 last thing we wont stay in belgium a lot would rather stay more in London
May 31st, 2019, 05:17 AM

When?
May 31st, 2019, 07:21 AM

You can start by picking up a few guidebooks, going to the official websites of the cities you want to visit, and learning about train systems in the respective countries.
May 31st, 2019, 07:36 AM

Welcome to Fodors . . .

I am so frustrated -- I was in the middle of a detailed response and it reloaded and I lost everything. grrr

Anyway - first you need to nail down exactly how much time you have. The difference between 20 and 25 days is significant. 2o days will net you just 17.5 days free on the ground to see and do things. 25 days will equal about 22.5 days. So you really don't have time for a week in your three main and a few days in Belgium. Plus on a three generation trip, things will take longer just to get around and acclimate.

Both London and Paris have just tons of things for families -- even without Disneyland Paris if that was in your plans. Maybe consider a full week in both Londn and Paris with maybe a day trip out of each (Legoland, Hampton Court Palace, Disneyland, Parc Asterix), and split the other approx week between Netherlands and Belgium.

It would be best to fly into one major city and home from another to save a lost day of travel.

But . . . you are a brand new member here, so you are limited to how much you can post for a few days. I 'think' you can't post again until tomorrow - so in the meantime, maybe look at a guidebook or two and decide if there are any 'musts' or places you really dream of visiting.
May 31st, 2019, 07:49 AM

To learn lots about trains check www.seat61.com; BETS-European Rail Experts and www.ricksteves.com. book tickets early yourselves and maybe get nice discounted fares.
May 31st, 2019, 09:36 AM

There are lots of ways you could do that trip, I'd probably check airfares to decide.

London is going to have to be beginning or end, though.

I guess I'd probably do Amsterdam-Belgium-Paris-London OR the reverse. I don't think it makes any difference which way you start except for airfare and flight choices. I prefer the least stops possible when going home as I'm kind of running out of steam by that point, so I'd suggest that idea if it does make a difference. Maybe not to/from Cairo.

Checking skyscanner, it appears there are nonstops from London and Paris and Amsterdam to Cairo on Egyptair or BA, or Air France which codeshares with them, I guess. I didn't realize it's only a 5 hr flight from there to Cairo, that's not too bad. I'd still want to fly nonstop. So I guess it's just your choice London or AMS at the end.