Search

Thoughts on My August Spain Trip?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 15th, 2007, 04:22 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thoughts on My August Spain Trip?

Hi all--

I have read so many postings here and gathered such great advice that I thought I would post my upcoming itny. for my August Spain visit for suggestions, thoughts, etc.

My husband and I are visiting and want to do as much as we can without overdoing it. (Late 20s, active and okay with some bouncing around but don't want to do so much that we never really get to experience any of the towns).

Here it is...would love any and all tips/advice!

Tuesday, 8/21: Barcelona
(need a hotel here. After reading reviews I really hoped to try Hotel Banys Orientals but it is full...other suggestions?)

Wednesday: Barcelona

Thursday: Barcelona

Friday: Leave Barcelona, arrive Cadaque. Planning to stay at Llane Petit.

Saturday: Cadaque

Sunday: Leave Cadaque for Cardona Parador (hopefully, we can do a one night stay on a sunday)

Monday: Leave Parador for Madrid. Staying at Westing Palace.

Tuesday: Madrid

Wednesday: Madrid

Thursday AM depart

I am very excited for the trip but trying not to wish away the summer!

Looking forward to everyone's thoughts....

Old Jun 15th, 2007, 04:34 PM

This looks good to me, not too rushed. We just did a similar trip, thought didn't get to Cadaque (suggest you stop in Pals on the way there--you won't regret it.) Also, We stayed at the Parador in Cardona and enjoyed it, especially the wonderful restaurant. We stopped at Montserrat on the way down and heard the boys' choir (at 1 every day) (great) and went to the museum (good), and think it was well worth stopping, but if you do, park in the lot and take the funicular to the top, unless you like scary driving.

Have a great time. (My trip report has recommendations for some GREAT restaurants in Barcelona.)
Old Jun 15th, 2007, 04:38 PM
Original Poster

artlover--Thanks for the note! I am breathing a sigh of relief. So much time planning and deciding, it is good to know that we have made some solid selections.

Thanks for the tips, too! We'll explore those ideas. And, will check out your food recs for Barcelona. For me, it is the food that really makes the trip!

Also--since you did some driving, any thoughts on that? I think driving might be a worthwhile venture but my husband strongly disagrees....
Old Jun 15th, 2007, 08:48 PM

That trip sounds nice. I too am planning on a visit to Spain and have been doing hotel research for Barcelona and am up for suggestions.

I'll take a look at hotels too, thanks for the suggestions.
Old Jun 16th, 2007, 05:48 PM

travelgirl,
Do you have a specific reason for going to Cadaque? I ask because we didn't go there partly because I understand the driving can be "challenging" and DH drives like an Italian, if you get the picture, which scares me, but he thinks is fine. The rest of the driving we did in Costa Brava was fine--good roads, hilly, but not mountainous for the most part. But we were glad we had a car, as several people here suggested, it would have been very difficult without one. You could stay in the Parador in Begur and have less driving and still see some great sights in Costa Brava.
Old Jun 17th, 2007, 02:42 AM

I agree about the driving, especially on a weekend in August -- it will be VERY slow going -- make sure you have reserved parking at the hotel since even finding a place to turn around can be difficult (for us in November).

The good side to this is that you will have lots of time to see the views while stuck in slow traffic =)
Old Jun 17th, 2007, 01:02 PM
Original Poster

hmmm...thanks for the perspective. We don't have a strong reason for going to Cadaque. I heard it is beautiful there, small town, and great to see Dali's place. It was meant to be provide two low-key days. I'll have to look into the route to Cadaque a bit more. We live in Boston so traffic and such isn't an issue but hills, tight turns and such could be a bit much!

I didn't realize traffic was such an issue. This is very good insight. Maybe we can rent a car for just a few days to go from Barcelona, to Cadaque and Parador then drop the car off and fly to Madrid. I think the views that we would get to see while driving could be worth it but maybe trains are a safer bet (albeit, I think the routes would be a bit chaotic).
Old Jun 17th, 2007, 02:03 PM

We drove from Barcelona in one day, through Vic, Rupit, Pals and a few other towns en route to Cadaques. We stayed at Llane Petit in Cadaques. Cadaques is a fantastic place so I would go ahead with your plan..

The driving is not too bad; you really do need a car to do this route. If you do not already have reservations for the parador and Llane Petit, I would make them asap. Ask for a room with water view. Let me know if you want any further information based on our trip...I see you are not planning a visit to Figueres' Dali Museum..
Old Jun 17th, 2007, 02:38 PM

friday p.m after 3, leaving and sunday returning to barcelona can be gridlock..

imagine labor day weekend the worst hours coming and going.

that is costa brava summer traffic all summer long.
Old Jun 17th, 2007, 10:32 PM

I think Cadaque is beautiful and yes you should go; just time your drive, I'd go really early in the am. It won't be a relaxing drive due to traffic. Again the good side of the traffic is catching the first views of the water, the scrub and you will not even notice the curvy road

If you are interested in Dali, you need to go to Figueres to see the museum.

I agree with the OP to try to stop in Vic; there's also a parador there though we stayed in Cardona. Sunday is usually slow but do reserve now.
Old Jun 18th, 2007, 07:21 AM

Just a small note that the town is Cadaques (put an "s" at the end..)
Old Jun 18th, 2007, 08:29 AM

To continue with the theme, Cadaques is a good idea. You don't have to go all the way up the coast to get there, though. If you do, it's true that you might end up vomiting. There are straighter roads and then you can cut over. Stopping in Girona (north of Barcelona) is an excellent idea as well. Once you cross the river and head into the oldest parts, you are in for a TREAT!! It is gorgeous and amazing. And while in Barcelona there are about a thousand million gabillion great things to do. Learn about the city before you roll by hitting up bcnweek.com
Old Jun 18th, 2007, 09:23 AM

You may want to try to H10 hotels in barcelona - they are well located and well priced. also - are you staying at the westin palace in madrid? its beautiful and centrally located to everything.
Old Jun 18th, 2007, 10:49 AM
Original Poster

Such great advice from all...thanks!

ekscrunchy: We are booked to stay at Llane Petit in Cadaques, with a sea view. I am glad to hear that it is as great as it seems. Any thoughts on must-dos and eats in Cadaques? (thanks for the s clarification, too! whoops!)

Depending on how the days go, we would like to stop in Figures and/or Girona for a short visit. I guess it really depends on the drive. Maybe we will do one on the way there and one on the way out. I need to revisit a map...

All of the traffic/drive advice is fantastic. I truly had no idea traffic was such an issue. I think we will go ahead and rent a car for a few days and plan to do driving in the early morning to avoid traffic.

Moxie: We are now booked for one night at the Parador in Cardona. It looks amazing!

cmeyer54: thanks for the hotel tips. I think i have peeked at H10 but should revisit. I am really hoping for something small, cozy and quaint. But, August is getting close and I should probably just book something. And, yes--we are staying at the Westin Palace in Madrid. Seems like an amzing place. Normally, beyond what I like to spend but we found a great deal through Travel Zoo. For anyone else out there looking at it, Starwood's site has a 3nights for price of 2 if you stay on the weekend...and that is offered at the lowest available price!

yosoyyo and lincasanova: thank you both also. I am not a great passenger in the car so your thoughts/tips are much appreciated. And, the Girona stop is a great idea.

Old Jun 18th, 2007, 12:42 PM

for barcelona, in april we found the 2 year old H10 Universitat, 2 blocks from Pl Catalunya, 3 to the ramblas, metro around the corner, bus in front, exterior room, 6th floor, modern, quiet, decent sized room (double rooms vary in size depending on location at this hotel) pleasant, central, and reasonably priced.
Old Jun 18th, 2007, 04:34 PM

have tea in the westin's bar area below the amazing stained glass ceiling. also - even tho its spendy, have breakfast in the dining room. wonderful food. We were there during semana santa and were able to watch the processions from the hotel steps. Its walking distance to Prado, easy to the train station and Palace. enjoy!
Old Jun 19th, 2007, 10:41 AM

Great that you got the parador! It was lovely. You can only visit the church on site with a guide and we squeaked in at 4.30 when he was getting ready to go. I cannot remember when they open but I would guess late since it was not an option for us.

We were first given an adequate room on an inner courtyard but I wanted a view so returned to the desk and got a lovely room -- it pays to ask/complain nicely.

Be sure to sign up to become an amigos =)