Thoughts on Itinerary for June 2007

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 23rd, 2006, 12:37 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi, after visiting family I'll rent a car and travel around with my mom. I'm interested in historic sights, castles, etc. Here's my first attempt at an itinerary. I'd appreciate expert feedback.
Day 1 Paderborn, Hameln, Goslar
Day 2 Goslar, Quedlinburg
Day 3 Quedlinburg, Dresden
Day 4 & 5 Dresden
Day 6 Dresden, Bamberg
Day 7 Bamberg
Day 8 Bamberg, Wurzburg
Day 9 Wurzburg
Day 10 Wurzburg, Koln
Day 11 & 12 Koln
Day 13 Koln, Aachen, Trier
Day 14 Trier, Cochem
Day 15 Cochem
Day 16 Cochem, Koblenz, Boppard
Day 17 Boppard, Heidelberg
Day 18 Heidelberg
Day 19 Heidelberg, Dinkelsbuhl
Day 20 Dinkelsbuhl
Day 21 Dinkelsbuhl, Nordlingen, Regensburg
Day 20 Regensburg
Day 21 Regensburg, Prien
Day 22 Prien, Garmisch
Day 23 Garmisch
Day 24 Garmisch, Fussen
Day 25 Fussen, Munich
Day 26, 27, 28 Munich
Old Sep 23rd, 2006, 01:57 PM

Based on a quick review, it seems that fourteen days of your 28 day trip are spent going from location to location.
Old Nov 6th, 2006, 07:01 AM

We plan a trip to Germany also in June 2007. We will be centering a week in the Dresden area and a week in the Mosel Valley. We far prefer locating in a Ferienwohnung and doing day trips over the drive-and-find-a-hotel method. You don't unpack as often, you are not a prisoner of the rigid scheduling of prebooked rooms, and finding hotel rooms as you go can be quite stressful and time-consuming. These apartments need to be booked in advance (ours already are), easy to do online, and many do not require any kind of prepayment. For your itinerary, think in big week-long circles instead of linear, and since apartments usually book Saturday to Saturday, those will be your driving days. We have visited most of the areas you listed and enjoyed every one. Tweak your itinerary a little, and you'll have a splendid time.
Old Nov 6th, 2006, 07:46 AM

2 hours is enough for Cologne IMO. All others, except for Aachen, where i presume you just want to see the famous cathedral are absolute gems IMO. For me an extra day in Dinkelsbuhl or Rothenburg would have moi climbing the walls of those ancient walled towns, but that's probably just me.

Seems like a well thought out great trip.
Old Nov 6th, 2006, 03:52 PM

After reading your itinerary, my head swims and I feel sorry for your Mom!

Much too ambitious. You better cut out one section, such as the Wuerzburg-Heidelberg (i.e. Rheinland) section, or the Regensburg- Prien ( Oberbayern) sections.

You don't tell us when you plan to travel, but even if it is not during peak travel times, you have to allow for traffic backups (Staus, and they can be Lulus in Germany) or simply getting in and out of cities, much leass enjoying the sights.

Why don't you revisit the itinerary, prioritize what yoiu want to see, and then people on this board (incl. myself) will be happy to advise you to make this a an enjoable trip.
Old Nov 6th, 2006, 04:05 PM

What's in Dinkelsbuhl that you've given it so many days? We had lunch there and it was enough.
Have you already visited Rothenberg? I don't see it on your list and it's far more interesting then Dinkelsbuhl.

Germany is beautiful. When will you be going?