Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Germany experts - Help me figure out my itinerary

Mar 19th, 2007, 09:05 AM
yk
Original Poster

Planning a short trip to Germany for mid-April. Short = 5 days. I want to visit Nuremberg, Bamberg, Würzburg.

I am flying into Frankfurt, and my plane ticket includes DB ride all the way to Nuremberg. Here's my rough itin:

Day 1:
Arrive in Nuremberg at 11am

Day 2:
Morning at Nuremberg
Afternoon to Bayreuth

Day 3:
Bamberg

Day 4:
Wurzburg

Day 5:
Frankfurt

Q1:
I want to have a rough idea of how much time I'll need in each city (Nuremberg, Bayreuth, Bamberg and Wurzburg)?

Q2:
I will be traveling by public transport. Is there any rail deals that will be cheaper than buying individual tickets? (I am traveling alone.)

Q3:
Any rec's for budget accomodations at these towns (hope to spend < € 70 each night for single room)

I know I am moving around a lot, but given my limited time and my relatively still young body (I'm 33), I think I'll be ok.
Mar 19th, 2007, 09:12 AM

I'd say you'll need 45 mins in each city.
Mar 19th, 2007, 09:22 AM
yk
Original Poster

< I'd say you'll need 45 mins in each city. >

That's probably a true statement for my friend / fellow Fodorite 111op who travels at the speed of light. I tend to be a bit slower than him. I travel at the speed of sound.
Mar 19th, 2007, 09:23 AM

Are you planning to change hotels each day or use Nuremberg as a base and take day trips to the other towns?

We used Nuremberg as a base to visit Ansbach and Rothenberg - we were planning to visit Bamberg too, but decided to spend more time hanging around Nuremberg and didn't make it up there. We found Nuremberg to be a convinient base for day trips since the Altstadt is right across from the main train station and that station is a hub. I don't think Wurzburg is much farther than Rothenberg or Bamberg.

Although we spent more time on the train this way - round trips rather than 1 way - we spent less time packing, checking in and out and unpacking.

For Nuremberg, I think with an afternoon and a morning, you can see a good deal of the Altstadt - enough to get a decent feel for the area.
Mar 19th, 2007, 09:25 AM

My point is - its impossible to say how much time you will need in each city. You are moving round a lot. You will not see much. You will have only one day in each city anyway - unless you cut out somewhere. You won't be able to see much in less time.
Mar 19th, 2007, 09:59 AM

yk,

Make Nürnberg your base. Every location you wish to visit is a very easy train ride. Since you'll be entirely in Bavaria, perhaps the Bayern Karte would work for you, but look at point-to-point prices too as they may be reasonably priced. LarryinColorado will definitely "hook you up" in regards to train travel and the deals.

Look for Gasthof Pillhofer www.pillhofer.net just inside the Altstadt and across from the HauptBahnhof. Looks reasonable to me and a couple of nice reviews at tripadvisor (for what that may be worth). Looks like 54.00 Euro per night for a single room.

MvK
Mar 19th, 2007, 07:30 PM

1.) Are you traveling alone or with someone?
2.) You show being in Würzburg on day and in Frankfurt the next. Are you traveling overnight? Or will all your travel from Würzburg to Frankfurt be in one day? About what time do you have to be in Frankfurt?
Mar 19th, 2007, 07:49 PM
yk
Original Poster

Thanks for everyone's help so far. I apologize I am being kind of disorganized. I went to the library and borrowed some guide books today and started reading, and hopefully I am making more sense now.

Yes, I am traveling alone.

So, here's what I'm thinking now:

Day 1: Arrive in Nürnberg at 11am. Overnight in Nürnberg.
Day 2: Day trip to Bayreuth. Overnight in Nürnberg
Day 3: Day trip to Bamberg. Overnight in Nürnberg
Day 4: Travel to Würzburg, overnight in Würzburg
Day 5: Travel to Frankfurt, overnight in Frankfurt
Day 6: Morning flight out of FRA

This way, at least I don't have to pack and unpack every day.
Mar 19th, 2007, 08:45 PM

Q2: Yes, there are "rail deals that will be cheaper than buying individual tickets?" Go to www.bayern-takt.de, click on Englische Version, then on the red rectangle labeled Bayern Ticket.

The Bayern Ticket is an all day pass valid in 2nd class on all regional trains (RB, RE, IRE) in Bavaria. It is valid from midnight on weekend days or 9 AM on weekdays until 3 AM the following morning. A Bayern Ticket for one person (Bayern Single) costs €19. You can buy it from any blue and white regional rail automat. Select Bayern Single from one of the two columns of buttons on the lower right. It is also available from any of the red/white/blue "Fernverkehr" automats in major stations with express train service. These machines feature touch screen displays and can be made to display in English. There is a touch pad on the opening mask for "Laender Tickets". You can also buy a Bayern Ticket at ticket counters for an additional €2 for personal assistance.

The Bayern Ticket is perfect for you since everywhere you want to go is served by regional trains. Use it for Nürnberg to Bayreuth instead of €15,60 each way for individual tickets and for Nürnberg to Bamberg instead of €10,60 each way for individual tickets. For Nürnberg to Würzburg one way, a €16,60 individual ticket will work better.

When you go from Würzburg to Frankfurt, buy a Bayern Ticket and then go to a ticket window and ask for a ticket from Kahl am Main to Frankfurt or Mainz, wherever you are going. Kahl is the last stop in Bavaria; the Bayern ticket will cover your travel to there, and the individual ticket will take you from there.

For your last night, you might consider one of three hotels (Hammer, Schottenhof, or Königshof) which are just across from the main station in Mainz. Of the three, I would prefer Königshof (www.hotel-koenigshof-mainz.de). In the morning it is a 30 minute S-bahn trip to the regional station at FRA.
Mar 19th, 2007, 08:53 PM
yk
Original Poster

Larryincolorado-

Thanks a bunch for the explanation. I was trying to read the "Länder-Tickets" section on bahn.de and got thoroughly confused.

And also thanks very much for calculating the train ticket prices for me. Looks like the Bayern-Ticket Single is the winner here.
Mar 19th, 2007, 09:06 PM
yk
Original Poster

MvK-

I checked the website for Gasthof Pillhofer. Looks very nice, but how did you figure out the room rate? I clicked around on the site and couldn't pull up anything that looks like room rates.
Mar 20th, 2007, 09:26 PM

yk,

I e-mailed them for an offer and also found on another website for hotel bookings. www.nuremberg.de I think, but not sure.

I booked two doubles there for last day of May. Please report and let me know how it is.

MvK
Mar 21st, 2007, 11:29 AM
mikeycora

I would suggest a visit to the Bishop's Residence and take a taxi from the Residence parking lot to the Fortress. You can get a great picture of the Fortress from the parking lot. You also may want to take a trip to the Kappel right across from the Fortress. Great view but little else IMO. When your finished have a taxi take you back to the rail station. If you need to shop it is right in front of you.

Mar 22nd, 2007, 12:11 PM
yk
Original Poster

Larryincolorado-

One question about buying the Bayern ticket via the ticket machine: Do the machines take foreign (ie US) credit cards? I've had trouble in the past in other European countries using the train ticket machines - some of them ask for a PIN # for my CC, which I don't have one.

MvK-

I did find the €54 rate for Gasthof Pillhofer on the Nurnberg tourism website. Have emailed them, awaiting for reply.