thoughts on city to visit after prague?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 28th, 2003, 12:53 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

will be in prague early Aug and i'm wanting to extend 3 days in another city in germany, austria, hungary or poland. any thoughts?
Old Apr 28th, 2003, 01:06 PM

Well...

I love Munich. It's very civil, spotlessly clean, feels German. It has tons of great shops and department stores. The restaurants are yummy filled with great meats, breads, soft pretzels, sausages and lots of delicious beer (it just tastes better here). There are plenty of good tourist sights, palaces and museums but not overwhelming. Hotels are very modern and clean with reasonable prices. The best part is that the Munich people are the friendliest I have ever met in all of Europe. 3 days will give you a good impression.

I have a feeling that Vienna is good stop to but I haven't been there. Actually that is where I am going on vacation in June.

Regardless with just 3 days, I would pick Munich.
Old Apr 28th, 2003, 01:15 PM
rex

Wehre do you need to go/be after these three days?

We are struggling with this same question, and wondering if we are making the right decision driving to (near actually) Jelenia Gora and Wroclaw (a pensjonat near Podgorzyn/Sosnowka and the Palace "Krobielowice" near Katy Wroclawskie). Then one night at Olomouc before heading back to Graz for our flight out of Austria (our rental car starts and returns in Austria).

We're wondering if we are allocating too much time to driving (about 12 hours over 4 days), and not enough time to seeing/doing. May reconsider taking Poland out of our itinerary. Adding a night back in Austria (Graz in Particular as it is the cultural Capital of Europe for 2003) might be a good idea. We already ruled out Krakow (with some regret) because it would have added even 4 more hours to this short side semi-circle.

If you can wait a few more weeks for a report back, we'll be returning May 23.

Best wishes,

Rex
Old Apr 28th, 2003, 01:45 PM

There are so many good choices, it's hard to say without knowing how you plan to get there and where you need to be afterwards. It can take up an entire day to get to some of these places, so if you need to go back to Prague, you may spend 2 of those 3 days traveling. For example, Krakow is wonderful if you are flying, otherwise it will take all day by train to get there.

Germany sounds good; I haven't been there but it does sound like a good idea. Vienna is also, of course, and I think is quicker from Prague by train than Krakow and 3 days might be about right there.

I've been to Olomouc -- nice small town, I recommend Hotel Gemo.

Old Apr 28th, 2003, 02:12 PM
AR

Budapest.
Don't go to Bratislava, that's all!
Old Apr 28th, 2003, 03:04 PM

I agree with AR. Go to Vienna and Budapest. Both delightful cities you will probably want to pay another visit when you have more time. Lots to see and the food is super!
Old Apr 28th, 2003, 03:55 PM

gcw - Dresden Germany!! It is only 3 hrs from Prague. It is a magnificent Baroque city and is compact and small enough to see in 1 to 2 days. It is not yet a tourist mecca for American tourists because I think it was in East Germany and thus does not have a tourism history and Americans think it will be dingy and run-down. Not so! Though it was almost completely destroyed by the firebombing at the end of the war it is now almost completely restored except for the magnificent Frauenkirche which should reopen in 2005. Check out "dresden.de" to get some idea of what it has to offer!
Old Apr 28th, 2003, 05:37 PM

A couple of totally different suggestions than the typically visited large cities.

Czesky Krumlov about 2 hours south of Prague. If you like doing more than just they typical tourist stuff you would be in the area in peak vacation season and there is lots to do there.

Karlovy Vary, Czech Republic--about 2-3 hours west of Prague.

Bamburg--an absolutely marvelous German city. (This could be combined with Karlovy Vary).

Passau and Regensburg, Germany--delightful cities on the Danube.

A major determinant should be which city you leave from. Do you have to return to Prague, or will you be leaving from another city?
Old Apr 29th, 2003, 03:46 AM
Bootman4U

After Prague, even Dresden might pale in comparison, although I think both are wonderful. Budapest would be a somewhat different and interesting experience although not as sumptuous as is Vienna. We've decided, thanks to the folks here to do a day trip to Bamberg while we are in Munich next month since everybody raves about the place. And then there's always.....Berlin..an easy 5 1/2 hour train ride from Prague and oh, soooo different...a city that is absolutely racing to forget WWII but has many many things and sites to recommend it..palaces, modern steel and glass, great shopping and churches...
What a choice you have to make...but I envy you because I've been to all these places except Bamberg so wherever you choose it should turn out great.