Reload this Page >

Thomas the Tank Engine Museum

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 24th, 2001, 05:10 PM
Tania

My son is a big fan of the "Thomas the Tank Engine" books. I heard there was a "Thomas" museum somewhere in England, but I haven't been able to find information on this. Can anyone help? Thanks!

Old Jul 24th, 2001, 05:26 PM
Rex

My brother and his wife recently took their son to a "Thomas the Tank Engine" event in Connecticut, just a week or so ago. More details on the schedule of these events on http://www.rrgifts.com/rrinfo.html - - but these are in the US, not in England. <BR> <BR>Best wishes, <BR> <BR>Rex <BR>

Old Jul 24th, 2001, 05:30 PM
Linda

When I lived in England, I heard about this too, but can't, for the life of me remember where it was! Peterborough or environs? Can somebody help Tania.

Old Jul 24th, 2001, 05:31 PM
Ed

Perhaps its the Port Dock Station Railway Museum? See <BR>http://www.railpage.org.au/pdrms/common/a03_m05.html <BR> <BR>Actually, if you go to Google and enter Thomas Tank Museum you'll get quite a few references to check out. <BR> <BR>twenj

Old Jul 24th, 2001, 05:49 PM
Linda

There was, at least temporarily, an exhibit of Thomas in the York Railway Museum. But I don't know if it was temporary or not. Does anybody else? If nothing else, any child who is young enough to love Thomas should be interested in this museum.

Old Jul 25th, 2001, 02:15 AM
JJR

I also haven't heard of a Thomas museum as such but have visited the National Railway Museum in York where they often hold Thomas activity days in the school holidays. There is lots to see and do at this museum for children. Also many steam railway lines hold Thomas the Tank engine days where you can ride on the line and see the different characters acting out the stories. We visted a good one one on The Bluebell Railway and have also been on one on the Watercress line. It seems to me that most steam railways provide these days, and they are to be found all over the country - I wonder if anyone else has names. There is definitely one near Peterborough and also Oxford. <BR>Hope you manage to find what you want as my children thoroughly enjoyed these days out. <BR>

Old Jul 25th, 2001, 03:44 AM
Dave

Yes, it's Peterborough.

Old Jul 25th, 2001, 03:51 AM
Dave

Just did a search at yahoo.com for "Thomas the Tank Engine" and "Peterborough". Thomas is located at the Nene Valley Railway, which is also the station for a scenic steam railroad. <BR> <BR>They don't list a website, but here's some info: <BR> <BR>------------------------------ <BR>Nene Valley Railway <BR>Wansford Station, Stibbington, Peterborough, PE8 6LR <BR>Tel: 01780 784444 <BR> <BR>Talking Timetable: 01780 784404 <BR> <BR>Restored Steam trains running from Wansford through to Peterborough. See Thomas the Tank engine, a good day out for the children. <BR> <BR>Opening Times: Timetable available <BR> <BR>--------------------------- <BR> <BR>Peterborough also has an impressive cathedral, with some interesting and unusual (for England) painted wooden ceilings. Other than a couple of indoor shopping centers, that's about all there is. But it is conveniently located on a major railway line between London and York.

Old Jul 25th, 2001, 04:04 AM
Dave

<BR>Finally found the official website: <BR>http://www.nenevalleyrailway.co.uk/

Old Jul 25th, 2001, 04:27 AM
Tania

Thanks so much to everyone for all your help. I really appreciate the time you've taken over this!

Old Jul 25th, 2001, 11:57 AM
Linda

Now that I know for sure, I can give you directions to Nene Valley Railway Museum. (Thought it might be that but wasn't sure since I haven't visited it.) Leave Peterborough heading west till you get to the A-1 (London Road). Turn North. Go about 5 miles and you will see a sign for it on your right. It will "out in the middle of nowhere", next to a small collection of buildings. (By the way, if the construction mess is cleaned up--and it should be completed by now--this is a pretty drive, through stands of tall trees.) Turn right at the sign and you should have no problems finding the museum.