Search

Thistle hotels in London?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 27th, 2003, 04:40 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thistle hotels in London?

Hello,
I am planning a trip to London and would like to find out whether the chain of Thistle hotels would be reasonable places to stay. Can anyone tell me what U.S. chain they might compare to? I am looking for a nice but reasonably priced hotel for a few nights. I am considering the location at Trafalgar Square. Is this a relatively safe location but still close to tube stops, and things to see and do?

Thanks for any input!
Old Nov 27th, 2003, 06:22 PM

Hi
if you use the text box above to search for Thistle Hotel, you will find many comments, including recent positive ones for the T. Trafalgar.
Also check www.tripadvisor.com for positive comments.
The location is great.
Old Nov 28th, 2003, 02:09 AM

I hope you're booking through Londontown.com, which gives great deals on Thistles.

They're characterless, clean, respectable, big. Some are a lot posher than others, but
all are dependable, reliable, with tolerable
room service. They're really fine - but not excitingly quirky. The best location is the Selfridges Thistle, in my opinion. Trafalgar
Square is completely dead central, completely safe, and is a wonderful place to stay, near the National Gallery and just over the river from the National Theatre - the bridges over the Thames near there give dazzlingly beautiful night views of the city. Selfridges is in the middle of a shopping street, and is a very nice Thistle - I don't know the Trafalgar Thistle and can't compare it to an American chain, I'm afraid, but I hope that helps some.
Old Nov 28th, 2003, 03:34 AM

There is no good comparison with an American hotel chain. Each Thistle is somewhat different from the others -- not "cookie cutter." Some probably can be thought of as "characterless"; however, others are are pleasantly unique. In London we have stayed frequently at White's Hotel (now called Thistle at Hyde Park). It is a relatively small hotel with each room nicely and uniquely furnished -- out of the really busy areas, but with good bus stops that get you to Oxford Street or Knightsbridge (which is also a walk across Hyde Park) right in front. We have stayed in Thistle's in many parts of the UK and have generally been satisfied.
Old Nov 28th, 2003, 09:55 AM

I second the londontown.com recommendation. I got a 33 GBP per night rate at the Thistle Lancaster Gate earlier this month thru that site.
Old Nov 28th, 2003, 11:41 AM

From what I've seen at the current time, Londontown doesn't offer anything better than the Thistle website itself, plus Thistle seems to have a "best price" guaranty, promising a further 10% off if you find a better price. Correct me if I'm wrong!
Old Nov 29th, 2003, 09:21 AM

I stayed at the London Ryan a few years ago. It is just a few minutes away from Kings Cross Station. I enjoyed my stay there.
You can check out the hotels at their website: www.thistlehotels.com