Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

This Is Why You Don't Leave Things to the Last Minute Before You Travel!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 6th, 2005, 11:33 AM
dln

Fellow Fodorite Marcy and I will be off to Paris in less than 24 hours. I've packed, repacked and packed again.

Clothing that is.

Today I went into my handbag to remove all the items I don't need to bring. I also got my credit cards out so as to call the companies and let them know I'll be charging from Paris for a week. When I looked for my ATM card, <i>it wasn't there!</i> We had a house burglery two months ago and I guess my ATM card was in the wallet that was stolen. I never noticed because I never use the thing. I'm a strictly credit kind of gal.

Today, however, I did need it! I called my bank and told them I'd be using my husband's card and it really wasn't the disaster it could have been. Now I can get euros in France (you know I haven't a single one of them on me!).

I thought I'd pass on this cautionary tale though. Don't be like me and worry about all the goofy things like what pair of pants to bring and forget about the important things like, uh, how am I going to get cash to pay the bus driver to get out of the airport and into the city???

Old Jan 6th, 2005, 11:43 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
dln, last year on the morning we were leaving we did the 'check the wallet' thing and my partner realized his ATM card was missing. He had used it just the evening before and realized he must have left it in the machine. We called the bank from the airport (as soon as it opened). Fortunately, although we were on the way to Europe we were spending two nights in New York enroute. The bank sent him a new card overnight to our hotel in New York. What's more when I said, thank goodness we weren't already in Europe she said they could have sent us one within 2 days to a hotel in Europe. That's Bank of America, and it was good to know. By the way, they issue the new card with the same pin, but make the old card invalid, so there's no problem of having to &quot;re-register&quot; it or worry about someone having the old card. Now my question is when is my bank going to install those machines that shoot the card back at you right away and instead of requiring you to stick around after you get your receipt and cash and then punching in that you don't want another transaction before you can get your card back. They admitted that dozens of people leave their cards in the machine every day.
Old Jan 6th, 2005, 11:48 AM

Thanks for the reminder! How about your passport, did you stick in in your purse? Good!

Have a wonderful trip and take lots of notes so we can enjoy it with you later, here.
Old Jan 6th, 2005, 11:57 AM

We travel to Europe each year.

Years ago I prepared a &quot;Packing List&quot; that I now use religiously each year. Unless an item is crossed out as packed I know it is still an open item.

In addition I pin a buckslip on the door of the bedroom with the following in red:

Do you have your:

Passport
Credit cards
Driver's license
Airline tickets.

Simple idea I recommend to you.
Old Jan 6th, 2005, 12:03 PM

I once had a client who had been shunted off to far less glamorous job after he'd realized that he'd left his passport in his other suitcase. Unfortunately for him, he didn't realize this until his company's private jet arrived in London - while he was sheparding his firms very high profile (think 1980's auto industry icon) CEO to a series of investor meetings. British immigration wouldn't allow him in which required a very, very expensive flight for him back to Detroit, with an equally expensive flight back to London the next day.

One thing I'll never forget is my passport.
Old Jan 6th, 2005, 12:07 PM

Oh dln, thank goodness you noticed that! I get to caught up in the clothing packing situation too and forget the real important stuff until the last minute.

Like the time the credit card I wanted to use (for FF miles) expired while I was in Italy. Fortunatly had other credit cards with me but still - good to check the expiration date of any card you really want to use.

You two have a fantastic trip
Old Jan 6th, 2005, 12:26 PM
OO

dln and Marcy, Bon voyage. Take good notes--can't wait to read <i>this</i> trip report! Watch out for that Eiffel Tower...ahem!

Do you have your drivers license with you too? DH was asked for his as we were leaving this time. I had a panicky moment wondering if they would ask for mine next...but no. Heck, maybe I could have stayed?
Old Jan 6th, 2005, 12:40 PM

A co-worker got all the way to the airport (about 90 minutes away) for his honeymoon and had forgotten his passport. This was pre-9/11 and he was just arriving a few minutes before the plane was scheduled to depart. Oops. Honeymoon totally messed up (a cruise - they missed the boat!).

My brother left his wallet (drivers license, credit cards, etc.) in his car at the airport in Detroit once (again, pre-9/11) and only had his passport when we all arrived in London. He couldn't drive the rental car and had to depend on the rest of us to buy everything, provide cash, etc. Hmmm, now that I re-read that, maybe it was pretty smart after all!

Like someone else mentioned, I actually have a list on my computer and it includes the most mundane things - sunglasses, kleenex, all confirmations for hotel/car/etc., and my essentials - passport, driver's license, cash, cc, and so forth.

Gayle
Old Jan 6th, 2005, 12:46 PM

I guess I have &quot;Travel OCD&quot; ...I will check my passport, wallet and tickets in my bag 100 times on the way to and inside the airport like they will magically disappear somewhow...
Old Jan 6th, 2005, 12:47 PM

I';ve got a 'master packing list' too, it has everything on it from bathing suit to warm sweaters, I just cross off what doesn't apply to the trip.
It also includes tasks like 'stop newspaper', 'notify banks', 'arrange for pet care and leave keys', etc.
Very efficient and comprehensive,
that is, if only I can remember to take out the list at least a week before the trip.
Old Jan 6th, 2005, 12:50 PM

OMG ! dln, so glad that you found out when you did!
I worry about Everything way in advance but in the car on the way to the airport or even on the runway IN the plane, my husband will start asking me things like...did you lock the door, is the garage door closed..do you have the tickets..making me doubt myself and get crazy
Old Jan 6th, 2005, 12:59 PM

Losing an ATM card is a huge hassle - you might be able to get a new card, but my bank also sends separately a new pin number. This turned into a major time mess as I pay things online and couldn't with first new number and then new pin. Fortunately, I wasn't travelling.
Another handy tip, make sure your bills are paid automatically, at least tad above the minimum, while you are gone. I leave my auto-pay on to make sure I don't get late fees in case I am forgetful. They are always happy to take a second payment during the month when you have the time or money. I detest late fees and they mess up your credit.
Old Jan 6th, 2005, 01:00 PM
pariswasfab

Managing travel and the details is really part of the fun of going, and the more you do it, the easier it gets, as Elaine explains. Having a list is key for many people, one you can drag out and use each time. We use a domestic list and an international version, and it's successful every time.

Old Jan 6th, 2005, 01:09 PM

I have a recurring dream that we are at the airport and I have forgotten my passport. Needless to say, whatever else I may forget, I never forget my passport.

We look forward to a great trip report!
Old Jan 6th, 2005, 01:13 PM

That is funny, Wednesday, I must have travel ocd too. I check and recheck my purse the whole time I am at the airports between flights. People must think I have a strange tic that makes me open and shut my purse.

I have a special VIP wallet in my purse that holds the passport, credit cards, tickets. I stick in in my Inner Sanctum area of my purse but I still keep looking at it.

One time I had to call a neighbor because someone asked me at the airport if I had locked my front door. Of course I had, but when I thought back I couldn't remember doing it, so seconds before boarding I asked her to run over and check the door! I didn't have time to wait for her to come back to the phone but she emailed me in Europe.
Old Jan 6th, 2005, 01:20 PM

If you're driving yourself to the airport, you might also want to check your car before you head out.

As we were leaving home for the airport last summer (suitcases already in trunk, house locked up, etc.), it wasn't until we actually pulled the car out of the garage that we realized we had a flat tire!
Old Jan 6th, 2005, 01:24 PM

dln you and marcy_ have a blast!

Have you decided how you're going to write the trip report? Alternating days? Two perspectives of the same events?
Old Jan 6th, 2005, 01:30 PM

I'm another one who puts passport, tickets, credit cards, etc. in my purse a couple days ahead and then I have to recheck it a half dozen more times before we leave. Never know when those gremlins will come along and remove it from the purse!

dln and marcy, have a great trip!
Old Jan 6th, 2005, 01:34 PM
KT

I know I have travel OCD. As well as having a packing list, I have a last-minute list that includes making sure that the windows are closed, the lights are turned off, the stove &amp; oven are turned off, etc. I started doing this after once calling a friend from the airport to ask her to check that my windows were closed. I know the list sounds OCD, but it beats suddenly thinking &quot;What if I left the iron on?&quot; when I'm over the Atlantic.

I've also taken to checking the expiration date of my passport before I put it away after returning from a trip, because I've read too many stories here of people taking theirs out of the drawer before travelling only to discover that it's about to expire.
Old Jan 6th, 2005, 01:42 PM

Yea, I love when my DH turns to me and asks &quot;Did you turn the iron off?&quot; while we're flying 50,000 feet in the air!

Have a great trip dln and don't forget to pack your paris destination cards!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -