Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Third Time in Europe - Where to go? (2 weeks 2013)

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 20th, 2012, 07:46 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi! I'm planning a 2-week trip to Europe next year around April or August and have no idea where to go.I was initially thinking of going to Scotland + Ireland or just Scotland..but I'm not sure if its the best place for me to go particularly because apart from the cliffs of moher and the army tattoo parade I've really yet to find anything that really draws me to the place. (Which I believe is mostly due to my lack of research skills, or filtering skills , quite sure these places have more to offer than these 2 things I've mentioned)

Also thinking of doing a Scandinavia tour but I am not really sure where to go, and mostly just curious as I've never been there before.

Basically, I've seen a little of the "essentials" before, been to Paris,Versailles,Fussen, Jungfrau, Zurich, Lucerne, Madrid on my first time.
Lived/Stayed in Brussels for about 6 months on my second time and visited quite a number of the "essentials" again - Brussels,Munich, did the Romantic Road tour ,Vienna,Rome,Venice, Salzburg, Innsbruck, Lux, Amsterdam, London- Stonehenge, Oxford.

Just in case some info on my would help to trim down the choices, I am a foodie, open to some outdoor/sports activity suggestions (though probably would keep it to a minimal as I would not want my entire two weeks focused on trekking or hiking), mid 20s female solo traveller (suggestions on where not to go would be great as well).

This will only be my second time traveling solo in Europe, all my previous trips were with family or friends apart from my 1 week solo trip to London.

Thanks a lot!
Old Jul 20th, 2012, 08:00 AM

If you're a foodie, you haven't been to Italy enough.

Florence isn't on the list of places you've visited? I just went for 2 weeks and had a car so visited Florence, Siena and other Tuscan hill towns (Volterra, Montepulciano, Pienza, San Gimignano, etc.) and then Emilia-Romagna (foodie havens like Bologna but also architecture in Ravenna and Modena) as well as Venice.

Was my second or third time to some of these towns and first time to Emilia-Romagna. I'm not a foodie but Italian food is great, whether at foodie prices or not.

No I don't speak Italian at all, other than a few phrases and I've been about half a dozen times.

Italy has plenty of hiking opportunities. Cinque Terre isn't too far away from Florence and I logged over 15 miles one day just walking around, eventually hiking up to Piazzale Michaelangelo and San Miniato from centro storico.

If you do choose Italy, I'd try to go around May or June. August will be brutally hot and April may be too wet in some areas like Cinque Terre.
Old Jul 20th, 2012, 08:07 AM

This will only be my second time traveling solo in Europ>

well for a solo gal in Europe I'd recommend taking the train - and for anyone if going mainly to cities also the train is the best way (in UK buses can be viable but on the Continent trains are my far the best option for long-distance travel.

check out the following superb IMO sites for deciding where to go on a rail trip and learning all about the fantastic European rail system - www.ricksteves.com; www.seat61.com and www.budgeteuropetravel.com - download the latter's free and superb IMO European Planning & Rail guide for lots of suggested rail itineraries in each country (http://www.budgeteuropetravel.com/si...s/rg011210.pdf).

Even for solo women IME of decades of European rail travel trains are very safe so do not worry about taking to the rails alone - many other women travel solo on trains.
Old Jul 20th, 2012, 08:12 AM

scrb11 beat me to the Italy suggestion. so how about an Iberian adventure?

Spain and Portugal: Lisbon, Porto, Madrid, Barcelona, Seville are possible cities. Spanish cuisine was quite different from anything i had ever had w/ particular emphasis on ham. great wines in both countries
Old Jul 20th, 2012, 08:15 AM

You've only mentioned cities. Have you visited the countryside in any of the European countries, and/or do you have any interest in doing so?

Are you planning to use only public transportation, or are you open to renting a car?

A couple of suggestions for a foodies who wants some outdoor activities: Andalusia, in Spain (April would probably be a great time of year to visit Spain). Dordogne or Provence, in France. In Italy, almost anywhere, including Florence, as previously mentioned, and/or rural Tuscany.
Old Jul 20th, 2012, 08:19 AM

Ditto Italy. Maybe something of the seacoast. What about the Cinque Terre? You can walk/hike the path between the five towns. And over the Portofino peninsula. Or the Amalfi Coast. From there you can daytrip to Pompeii, Capri, Mt. Vesuvius, Naples. Or the Italian lakes or the Dolomites.

Another thought: Sicily. The food's interesting and there's lots to see.

Farther afield, have you considered Turkey? The food's amazing. Or Greece?
Old Jul 20th, 2012, 08:22 AM

I would vote for Spain (Barcelona and Andalucia!) or Scandinavia (you can add Berlin and/or Prague to Copenhagen and Stockholm, with easy train travel between) or as others have mentioned Italy (Tuscany and Liguria)...oh it's a difficult choice! Also, what about Istanbul and Athens with some Greek Isles? Wow so many great choices.
Old Jul 20th, 2012, 08:30 AM
Original Poster

Italy sounds great scrb11! I've always wanted to go to Tuscany but most of the time end up with travel companions who don't drive (just like myselF).

By the way, how long did you stay in each place? Or you just stayed on one place as your based location and just drive out during the day?

By any chance did you notice if there was alternate transpo for those who don't drive?

(Will try to look into the places you mentioned and check if there are any suggestions on how to go about traveling without a car.)

I am just wondering if I can see as much without having a car of my own. I did see some "day tour" packages to Tuscany from Florence but not really sure if that's really the "REAL" experience. I've been to some tours where you end up spending more time inside a bus looking out than interacting with the folks outside.

Thanks again!
Old Jul 20th, 2012, 08:33 AM
Original Poster

Sorry everyone, I forgot to mention that very important detail that I don't drive so I would be using public transportation for the rest of my trip.
Old Jul 20th, 2012, 08:35 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
If you get to Scotland, go to the Orkneys, 2 or 3 days will be enough but the fish is so fresh.

Italy gets a vote,

also Brittany, Normandy, Bordeaux, Alsace, Burgundy, the Jura, Provence each with a car hired locally after using TGV to get you there.
Old Jul 20th, 2012, 11:48 PM

I flew into Florence, stayed 3 nights, rented a car to drive to Siena, another 3 nights.

From Siena, took day trips to Val d'Orcia and also drove to Perugia and Assisi. Also drove to Volterra and San Gimignano.

Then drove to Bologna for another 3 nights, taking day trips to Ravenna, Modena, Ferrara.

Then drove to Venice where I dropped off the car, stopping by Padova on the way.

There are buses between most of these cities but you don't have the same flexibility that you'd have with a car. Especially the hill towns in Tuscany, you'd have to be at the mercy of bus schedules.

There are drivers you could hire for a day at a time to take you around but that would obviously be more expensive than buses or driving yourself.
Old Jul 21st, 2012, 02:38 AM

I hope you will reconsider Scotland. For quality seafood and great (ordinary, not starred) restaurants, it can't be beat, especially if you like seafood.

Have a look at Calmac's website, and see if an islands tour appeals. The links from ferry terminal to ferry terminal are easy by public transport if you're not in a hurry, and there's masses of outdoorsy stuff too do, only the least of it hiking.
Old Jul 21st, 2012, 08:36 AM

ttt
Old Jul 27th, 2012, 12:46 AM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone for the response, been awhile since I last checked this, have been very busy trying to earn a living for this trip :b Anyway, i am seriously considering Italy + South of France. Will keep you posted for any developments. By the way any ideas on safety of single female travelers for a Turkey+Greece trip, also came across some itineraries for this and they too seem interesting.

Thanks again!
Old Jul 27th, 2012, 06:31 AM

Given that you don't want to drive, the French Riviera makes a good destination. You could base in Nice and do daytrips along the coast by bus or train. There are lots of options from Nice: Cannes, Antibes, Monaco, Eze, St. Paul de Vence, and so on. There are also boat trips and the little Train des Pignes inland: www.provencebeyond.com/travel/railpignes.html.

August is very busy there; book early or you might prefer April.
Old Jul 27th, 2012, 07:09 AM

As you are a foodie, I suggest Italy or Spain (Barcelona and Andalucia). I would go in April. If you decide to go to Ireland, Scotland or Scandinavia, I would go in August.
Old Jul 27th, 2012, 08:24 AM

I am just wondering if I can see as much without having a car of my own. I did see some "day tour" packages to Tuscany from Florence but not really sure if that's really the "REAL" experience. I've been to some tours where you end up spending more time inside a bus looking out than interacting with the folks outside.>

You can easily get around Tuscany and adjacent Umbria sans car - the bus service from Florence and between the iconic hill towns is superb - very frequent and also dirt cheap - buses take you to the tops of the hill towns and of course thru the countryside.

Tour buses often pack in a lot into their day's itinerary to entice customers and often have a reveille of 5-6am or so IME and yes more time on the bus than off. with the public SITA type buses you set your own pace.

I have visited most of the famous hill towns of tuscany and Umbria by bus - I based once in Perugia and found it a wonderful hub - Florence is as well. Never a problem getting on a bus - just show up at the bus station (remember usually have to buy your ticket before boarding the bus - from a kiosk at the station or from a tabiacchi (sp?) near the station.