Need Helps on Greek Island Trip

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 28th, 2008, 06:50 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

About a month ago, I posted a message seeking advices for a trip for a family of three adulds to Greek island. Finally my planned trip is becoming more of a reality.
We will arrive Athens airport at about 11.30 AM on September 6, 2008 and leaving Athens on September 14 at noon time. What we would like to do are follows:
a) spend some time in Athens for visiting few major attractions( Acropolis, meuseum..)
b) Visit two islands (Santorini and Nexos or Santorini and Mykosos OR.).

Here are the things we need your help with:

1) Since we arrive ATH at about 11.AM, can we take the Hydrofoil to one of the island in the afternoon OR should we spend the nigth at Athens and go the island the next day.
2)Are there any ferries or Hydrofoils depart at nigth. Do they provide private cabins with sleeping beds,
3) What is the most pratical mean of going from one island to the other? (Santorini to Naxos or Santorini to Mykosos). Can we buy these ferry/hydrofoil tickets at the islands or do we have to buy them in advance in Athens?
4) Any suggestions for hotel at Athens, Santorini, Naxos, Mykosos - Room for three adults - 100-150 US dollar/night,
5) Any thoughs, suggestions and advices are greatly appreciated.

Regards,

MoreTravel
Old Jul 28th, 2008, 07:48 PM

If that 100/150 USD is for a room for all THREE of you (63-95&euro you cannot afford to go to both Santorini & Mykonos--- they are the two MOST costly islands for accommodations. THus I'd suggest Naxos Sept 6-7-8-9, Santorini 10-11- back in aft of 12 to Athens for 12-13.

TRANSPORT to NAXOS: order your tickets IMMEDIATELY-- you arrive on a saturdayin hi-season so don't delay!
http://www.openseas.gr/OPENSEAS/index_en.vm
shows that Hellenic seaways Highspeed3 leaves from Rafini 16:45 (345pm),arrives Naxos 20:35(8:35).

You can order your ticket ahead via Amphitrion or Pacific ticket agency and arrange to pick the tickets up at the airport -- both agencies have branches there. But DO not DELAY-- this boat has 400 seats and when they're gone, they're gone. A bus every 30-40 minutes outside airport building takes u to Rafina (40 mins).
You can have a bite to eat aboard the ferry -- or buy something ashore to take on board.

TRANSPORT to SANTORINI -- best to take Blue Star regular ferry (not hi- speed)...u get the deck view going into caldera. Buy ticket at Naxos a few days ahead.

TRANSPORT to ATHENS -- Since your trip is so cruelly short!! the ferry trip back to Athens is waaay long (3pm to midnight). I reccommend u INSTANTLY book Aegean Air(45 mins). For 9/12 they have flights at noon, 2:20, 5:05pm, at 81€ (that's about $115 after tax+fueladds). If u can't afford it u shouldn't be going at last minute to GReece in hi-season.

ACCOMMODATIONS -- Naxos has tons of budget hotels in St.George Beach area for 50-60 Euros for triple or apt ... in Santorini you'llhave to look in Fira to get your price. Here are 2 links to lists of budget hotels:
http://www.thegreektravel.com/naxos/hotels.html

http://www.santorini.com/hotels-in-s...ra-hotels1.htm
here's a super budgie in Fira Town WITH pool (but it's hard to find)
http://www.greekhotel.com/cyclades/s...milos/home.htm

In Athens, a triple for 95€ at this late date is probably not do-able. Try Hotel Central, Hotel Metropolis in Plaka area near Syntagma Square. Here is a link to budget hotels:
http://www.eurocheapo.com/athens/hoods/plaka.html

Naxos is great for hiking, beaches sunsets, ruins mellow night-life. Santorini is all about the view, and shopping, and nightclubs (Not beaches). In Athens, the best guide for u is to print out the entire Rick Steves "Destination Athens": it's a great D-I-Y tour for the newcomer:
http://www.ricksteves.com/plan/desti...ece/athens.htm

You haven't allowed enough time in Greece or enough time to plan, but you'll have such a good time you'll come back again! Enjoy!
Old Jul 28th, 2008, 11:11 PM

The previous post was a bit pessimistic, IMO. September 6th is NOT high season, and you shouldn't have any problem getting ferry tickets to the islands on that Saturday afternoon. Recommend you travel from Piraeus rather than Rafina, as there are afternoon ferries from there to all the islands you are considering.

Your budget of US$100-150/night will be difficult, but not impossible, on Mykonos and Santorini unless you mean per person.

In June this year I stayed in a very nice double room on Mykonos for €50 ($80)/night, and turned down a room at €40. Last year I stayed in a double room in Oia on Santorini in May for €45. Early September will be a little more expensive, but room prices begin to come down at the end of August. You may be able to find a studio with three beds if you wish to save money.

Naxos would be a better choice than Mykonos, in my opinion, and you will have no problem there finding rooms well within your budget. Vacationers leave the island en masse at the end of August, and by Sep 6th it will be quiet.

Santorini will still be fairly busy, so for that reason I would recommend saving it for last.

Old Jul 28th, 2008, 11:42 PM

You will find decent rooms in Mykonos around September 6. The high season is over. Try small hotels like Asteri or Kostas in Ornos or Magas in Mykonos (just outside town). And there are many private rooms. Try the classical combination Mykonos (3 nights), Santorini (3 nights), Athens.
Between 16.00 and 17.00 you have three ferries (catamaran passenger only, catamaran car ferry and a slower car ferry "Aqua Jewel&quot from Rafina to Mykonos on September 6.
G
Old Jul 28th, 2008, 11:52 PM

Should you decide to start with Mykonos, take Gaspard's suggestion to sail out of Rafina.

For Naxos first, there are more ferries from Piraeus, including the 642 passenger Highspeed 2 and 1,450 passenger Blue Star Naxos. There are no ferries to Santorini from Rafina.
Old Jul 29th, 2008, 05:04 AM

Hi MoreTravel, the others have given you some really good advice.

My husband and I took an overnight ferry from Athens to Santorini 2 years ago and then made our way back up to Athens via other islands. We were there in late August - the ferry was EMPTY. We opted to sleep on the deck (not because we don't have any money - I just don't take cabins on ferries, I'm superstitious!) You will be able to get a cabin. It was so much fun, we're doing it again next year. The benefit is that you save money by travelling and sleeping at the same time. However, staying the first night in Athens isn't a bad idea either. Gives you a chance to settle in.
Old Jul 29th, 2008, 05:33 AM

I made my recommendations for a reason -- I checked departure options & trip length of various options on the ferry sites.

ATHENS for NIGHT #1 -- Of course it's nice to "settle in" but people who want to do 2 isles + Athens in less than 8 days don't have the luxury of a leisurely start.

NAXOS FIRST from Piraeus --first possible ferries are a catamaran @5:15pm arrv 9:40 or 5:30 reg ferry, arr 10:45 pm. A LONG day. Rafina arrives 8:35pm with less hanging about in a port.

SANTORINI FIRST via fast-ferry: A good option: at 17:00 (5pm)arrive 20:50 (8:50pm). Expect it to cost a lot tho. Then u ferry to ?Naxos? & ferry

SANTORINI FIRST via O'NITE --Car ferry Marina dep Piraeus 1800 (6pm), arrives Santorini 6:30 am. MoreTrav has given no clue to ages/gender of group - are they up for sleeping on deck???? One can get berths in single-sex cabins for not too much.

RETURN to ATHENS -- if Naxos is the last island, I recommend as a ferry return to Athens the daily 17:15 (5:15pm) car ferry, arrives 9:30pm. This avoids cutting up a precious day with a daytime ferry (10am- 3pm).

Old Jul 29th, 2008, 06:02 AM

Sorry, didn't take in your departure time on September 14. You should leave Athens to the end of your trip. If there are any issues with getting back from the islands, you will be stressed. Stay the day/night before in Athens and see the Acropolis then.
Old Aug 1st, 2008, 06:44 PM
Original Poster

Thank you very much for the good information.
I will digest them and make the final decision. I really don't know what to do without your helps. Who ever invents the Fodor's travel forum must be a "genius"
In the mean time if you could think of any suggestions, please let me know

MoreTravel