Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Santorini to Naxos or Mykonos and Patmos?

Apr 11th, 2019, 06:35 AM
Original Poster

My husband and I are flying to Santorini in early June and I have booked four nights in Santorini two nights in Fira and two nights in Oia. We have never been to Santorini and arrive late on our first night. We want to spend some time in Patmos (I have been there before and loved it) but it looks like the first ferry out of either Naxos or Mykonos is on Tuesday evening, the 11th of June. So we have four nights between Santorini and arrival in Patmos. Should we take the ferry to Naxos and spend a couple of nights there and then ferry to Mykonos for a two night stay there? Or are there other islands we should consider? We plan to spend from Wednesday morning arrival in Patmos to Sunday evening in Patmos. It looks like the ferry from Patmos to Athens departs late on Sunday for arrival in Athens Monday morning. We depart Athens on Wednesday afternoon. Just wondering what your thoughts are on the itinerary. Can I rely on the current Blue Star ferry schedules for June? Naxos or Mykonos or both? We enjoy the beach, views, walking around and exploring on our own, and good food/cocktails/music.
Apr 11th, 2019, 08:45 AM

If either Rhodes or Kos interests you there is a Blue Star ferry from Santorini to both these islands twice weekly, Mondays and Wednesdays, leaving Santorini around 1:00am and arriving at Kos at 5:45am and Rhodes 9am or 10am depending on the day. You can reach Patmos by ferry from either of these islands.
Apr 11th, 2019, 07:24 PM
kja

I loved Naxos and think it would fit your time frame nicely, though of course you have many options. You might find some useful information in my trip report; the section on Naxos begins with post # 109. (Santorini is earlier in the trip, Athens at the end.)
With Gratitude for a Glorious Solo Month in Greece
Apr 11th, 2019, 08:50 PM

I flew to Santorini, spent several days, then on by ferry to Nazos. I loved Naxos, much more than Santorini which I found to be one of those "is that all there is?" places, while Naxos seemed calmer & friendlier and somewhere I could have tucked in and stayed a long time. I'd recommend you spend your post-Santorini time on Naxos, don't bother moving around. I have not, however, been to either Rhodes or Kos, suggested by brotherleelove.
Apr 12th, 2019, 03:23 AM

Two nights on an island equals only one full day, so you are wasting a lot of vacation time by such short stays. With brotherleelove’s suggestion you could take a ferry from Santorini to Kos, transferring to another ferry to Patmos the same day. That would give you more time on Santorini if you wish, or an opportunity to stay on Kos for a few days or arrive on Patmos earlier. Near Kos is the island of Nisyros, which has a better volcano caldera than Santorini, and in fact was used for an early James Bond film. It gets lots of day trippers from Kos, but is peaceful after they leave.
Apr 12th, 2019, 09:09 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for your replies! I looked into Kos or Rhodes but I couldn’t make the ferry connections work. We’re planning to go to Naxos and may just stay a night in Mykonos in order to catch the Tuesday evening ferry to Patmos.