Things to do/Where to stay Ireland Dec.26-Jan.2

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 30th, 2010, 04:57 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So I think I went against the opinion of a few to travel on our first trip to Ireland when we are, but it works best for us to be in Ireland from Dec. 26-Jan.2. With that said plane tickets are purchased, Woohoo!! We understand that many things will be closed during this week. What are some suggestions for things to do and cities to stay at? Will there at least be some shops and restaurants/pubs open in the places I have listed below? I am thinking that since many things will be closed that we will be able to immerse ourselves in with the locals more while out and about in the towns (hopefully you understand what I mean and I understand that sounds contradictory). Please suggest any helpful tips, holiday events/traditions to participate in, and advice. What types of places are open/closed and how long? Here is what our itinerary looks like as of now:

Dec. 26-Arrive in Shannon
-Drive to County Clare
-Cliffs of Moher and either exploring county or Aran Islands (depending on time and energy)
-Sleep in a County Clare B&B

Dec 27-County Clare
-Burren
-Explores county (and wifes heritage if possible)
-Sleep in a County Clare B&B

Dec.28-Leave around 8-9am to either Dingle or Kenmare
-Explore the city/region
-Sleep in a Dingle/Kenmare B&B

Dec. 29 (my birthday)-Dingle or Kenmare
-Explore city/region
-Sleep in a Dingle/Kenmare B&B

Dec. 30-Leave around 8am for Dublin
-Lunch and very little exploring in Kilkenny
-Night in Dublin

Dec. 31-Dublin
-Explore city
-Sleep in a Dublin hotel

Jan. 1- Dublin
-Explore city/area
-Sleep in a Dublin hotel

Jan. 2-Leave Dublin for home

Thanks in advance for all the helpful hints!!!
Old Aug 31st, 2010, 04:16 AM

Dec 26
The Cliffs of Moher visitors centre seems to be open every day of the year.
http://www.cliffsofmoher.ie/GenericPage.aspx?rowid=6726
But I would call ahead or email and ask if you plan to visit during the holiday season.
Since you asked about holiday traditions: St Stephen's Day should be spent in a pub.

Dec 27
Since St Stephen's Day is on a sunday, I'm not sure if Dec 27 will be effected by closures. But the Irish folks here can probably clarify that. The Burren, of course, is "open" all the time. You could combine a trip through the Burren with visiting Galway, if you like.

Dec 30
If you have not seen it before, you could think about visiting the Rock of Cashel (instead of or in addition to Kilkenny) on your way to Dublin. Seems to be open except for Dec 24-26
http://www.heritageireland.ie/en/Sou.../RockofCashel/

Dec 30-Jan 2
You can check the OPW's website for info on possible sights in Dublin and the area that may interest you and opening hours:
http://www.heritageireland.ie/en/
In Dublin, I like the National Museum (the branch on Kildare St) with the exhibits on prehistoric Irish gold, the Viking age etc. very much (and it's not too big or too much that you needed all day).
www.museum.ie

Even though most major sights only shut down for the days of Dec 24-26 or only parts thereof, it does not hurt to call or mail ahead to check if opening hours given on the web are correct during the holiday season.

Shops should be no problem (again, with the exception of Dec 25+26, and maybe 27). There are usually lots of sales going on between Christmas and NYE. And many people cash in their gift vouchers. So the city centres will be far from being deserted. It's actually a time when many stores have extra long hours to accomodate all the shoppers. Not necessarily the little country store in the middle of nowhere, though.
Old Sep 1st, 2010, 12:01 AM

As Cowboy mentioned..spending a little time in a pub on St Stephen's Day is as good a place as any! The Monday after will be back to normal business hours for most all retail shops and restaurants.
Old Sep 1st, 2010, 02:43 AM
Original Poster

I'm feeling better about my decision already. Like I said I know things will be closed but some made it seem like Ireland would be a ghost town. Thanks for the input gablues and cowboy!
Old Sep 1st, 2010, 08:35 AM

On your other post, I mentioned my family and I are going over that same week to visit family. Our plan is flying into shannon the 26th - we are going to do the cliffs in the morning, b/c it is my 16 year old brother's first trip over and he has to do some obligatory things. Then, we are headed to the relatives in Roscommon. Stephen's night is an obligatory pub night, obviously.

We are spending the majority of time in Roscommon, with day trips to Sligo/Donegal. We are also goin to spend a night in Westport, then drive down the coast road to Galway and spend a night in Galway. Other than that, no set plans but a good time. Don't worry - Christmas time will be a blast regardless.
Old Sep 2nd, 2010, 03:05 AM

As Christmas is on a Saturday and St. Stephen's day is a Sunday this year - in Ireland, Monday the 27th and Tuesday the 28th will be public holidays in lieu of the two festival dates being on a weekend. This will mean in smaller towns and villages expect businesses to be closed on Monday and Tuesday after Christmas. In larger towns and cities businesses will probably be open as normal. Public transport normally operates on these sort of occassions as Sunday services - so expect that on the Monday and Tuesday after Christmas.
Old Sep 2nd, 2010, 11:26 PM

Christmas Day and St Stephen's falling at the weekend does not mean that the Monday and Tuesday after are considered public holidays. Employees might not appreciate that...but that is how it goes.

Quoted from Citizens Information

Public holidays falling on a weekend

Where a public holiday falls on a weekend, you do not have any automatic legal entitlement to have the next working day off work.
Old Sep 3rd, 2010, 07:29 AM

In your planning be aware that you will be there on some of the shortest days of the year. Sun up near nine and sundown by fourish. And on gray rainy days, the daylight will appear even shorter. check one of the weather websites for exact sunrise/sundown info.
Old Sep 3rd, 2010, 07:52 AM

Just went to check on daylight for you. On December 26, sunrise in Galway is 8:51 and sunset is 4:16. But cheer up, the days get a minute or two longer each day of your trip. And you will have a fantastic trip in any event. Also if you like to take pictures of lit up buildings, you won't have to stay up late or interrupt supper!
Old Sep 27th, 2010, 08:29 PM

I would not bother going to Ireland that time of year. Its cold and damp as well the day are very short. Wait until May you will enjoy yourself so much more. I speak from experience.
Old Sep 28th, 2010, 06:06 AM

I disagree with Erov. We had a great time over Christmas one year (Westport) and New Years another year (Ballyvaughn). A lot fewer tourists are around so even if some things are closed, the lack of crowds more than makes up for it.

Cold is relative. We're from Vermont so thought it quite warm!