Good (Holy() Friday in Dublin

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 2nd, 2004, 11:52 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'll be in London during Easter weekend, and thought I'd take a quick/cheap flight to Dublin. I had planned to fly in Friday morning and return on Sat evening to London. I see now that it is Good Friday. Will anything be open? I ask because last year I ended up in Copenhagen on Holy Friday and almost everything was closed (restaurants, shoppes etc)-- same in Helsinki. I was able to get a discounted 'shoppers package' at the Westin Dublin, but if all will be shut down perhaps I'd do better to just stay in London??
Old Mar 2nd, 2004, 01:10 PM

All pubs are closed (by law). Hotel bars are open for guests. Some shops open (larger stores - shorter hours). Most museums closed (incl Guinness Storehouse). It seems that Good Friday isn't a good day to be a tourist.
Old Mar 2nd, 2004, 01:25 PM

It seems as if all of Ireland is in Holyhead Anglesey on Good Friday as its the nearest place where the pubs are open!
Old Mar 3rd, 2004, 06:05 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the 'heads up', perhaps I'll still go, and make plans to eat at my hotel and just window shop.
--As an aside, a friend of mine will be in Amsterdam that same day (Holy Friday)anyone know if that city is 'shut' as well?
Old Mar 3rd, 2004, 07:03 AM
Ardfert

You will find certain places open.Have a look at www.heritageireland.com or www.visitdublin.com for some options

Old Mar 3rd, 2004, 07:16 AM

There are only 2 days of the year that the pub closes, Christmas Day and Good Friday. It is a very quiet day in Dublin and no shops/restaurants are open. The only thing I found open one year on Good Friday was the carpet shop down the road from me. Very Bizzare.

Most people have house parties or in for an evening at home. I would not reccommend it for a day to visit it willbe very boring.