COVID-19 Travel Advisory: Stay up to date with the latest on the coronavirus pandemic.   Learn More >

things to do in Rome on Sundays

Old Oct 5th, 2009, 06:22 AM
Original Poster

things to do in Rome on Sundays

I am travelling to Rome from Florence for a weekend in October with my 21 yr. old daughter and my best friend and staying by the Spanish Steps. We have tours planned for Friday and Saturday to see the Vatican and the Collesium. I am looking for suggestions of things to do in Rome on a Sunday. Walking is tough for me as I have a handicap and my legs aren't good. I can walk but not far distances nor over difficult terrain. We all love to shop and see beautiful sights. I appreciate any help I can get here on this forum.
Old Oct 5th, 2009, 06:39 AM

Borghese Gallery? Take a taxi if you can't walk. You can get a taxi in front of the Hassler Hotel at the top of the Spanish Steps. Make reservations now for the museum.

Thin
Old Oct 5th, 2009, 06:47 AM

Things to do on Sunday in Rome

well go to church - and i'm not being faceteous either - some of my best memories are going to one of the basilicas or major churches and take in the services and the often beautiful music and song in a serene setting
Old Oct 5th, 2009, 06:52 AM

I don't think going to church on a Sunday in Rome is a good idea unless you are visiting after ALL the masses are over.

You just can't wander around whilst a mass is going on.

Thin
Old Oct 5th, 2009, 07:17 AM
Original Poster

thank you for the quick reply - will do!
Old Oct 5th, 2009, 08:25 AM

No not wander but take in the Mass and wondrous music in sublime settings - not sightseeing at that time
Old Oct 5th, 2009, 08:43 AM

hi pal,

we are hoping to be in Rome in Feb and will be at a loose end on sunday morning. are there any churches could you recommmend for their music convenient for the area between the campo dei fiori and piazza del popolo?

regards, ann
Old Oct 5th, 2009, 09:04 AM

I was not aware that the newspaper stands which sell tickets for the train and underground system are not generally open on a Sunday. If you are not staying in the centre or if you want to buy a ticket when not near one of the main stations you are stuck! I couldn't understand why I had not read about this anywhere (before the Sunday!)
Old Oct 5th, 2009, 09:24 AM

frances,

on another thread someone referred to this website which you might find useful:

www.roninrome.com.

he's got a whole section on buying transport tickets.

you can buy them in the metros themselves, i think he says.

regards, ann
Old Oct 5th, 2009, 09:53 AM

Yes, you can buy metro tickets at the metro stations.

And you can buy tickets at Termini from the machines at the front of the building.

Thin
Old Oct 5th, 2009, 12:38 PM

I was caught one Sunday at a remote Metro station and needed to buy a ticket from a machine - the machine incredibly to me only took exact change - you could not put in more and just not want your change - but it took exact change, which i did not have. No manual window so at some less busy stations you may need exact change.

Annhig - not really - i do remember like in Naples recently one Sunday morning popping into several churches and lovingly hearing the choirs, etc. and i remember fondly at the Lateran Basilica hearing the most wondrous rendition of Silen Night (or whatever it is called in Catholicism) - even had the atheist me looking to the heavens.

I even enjoy hearing the sing-song drone of the priests, etc. even though i do not understand Latin nor Italian. But for the experience.
Old Oct 5th, 2009, 02:03 PM

pal - I'll have to do bit of research then!
Old Oct 5th, 2009, 02:36 PM

You could go to the Sunday Blessing at the Vatican to see the Pope (if he's in town).

The Borghese requires reservations.
Old Oct 5th, 2009, 03:44 PM

not far from the Spanish steps area is Palazzo Doria Pamphilj on Via del Corso-lovely building with a wonderful gallery-easy viewing with a wonderful art collection and stories by the owner on audio of growing up in the palazzo.Some wide steps for entrance to collection -not sure about lifts though.A hidden jewel.
Old Oct 5th, 2009, 07:23 PM

Most likely there is great sunday music at the Chiesa Nuova - headquarters of the Orotarians, founded by St Philip Neri
http://www.vallicella.org/
as I recall there is a cool Borromini cupola on one of the buildings in the complex too.
Old Oct 6th, 2009, 06:04 AM

Thanks for the information as to purchase of tickets.
In my original post I meant to say "bus and underground tickets" (not train) as it was on the bus that we had the problem. We had been to the Villa Borghese and on the way back to our hotel noticed that every possible ticket selling outlet was closed. We were a long way from an underground station and only used the bus to get to and from our hotel and the centre.
Old Oct 6th, 2009, 07:16 AM

Re: The Doria-Pamphilij Gallery

Whilst I agree that there are some wonderful paintings (a knock-your-socks-off St. John the Baptist by Caravaggio and, of course, the show-stopping Pope Innocent X by Velasquez), they are horribly displayed. (I work at a major American auction house.)

Surprise. This is Italy. Do they know how to hang or light a painting?

I couldn't believe all the paintings thrown chock-a-block onto the walls, one on top of another. Not the best way to show off some great works of art, sweetie darling, not to mention the neck strain of looking up at paintings hung within inches of the ceiling. A Bruegel needs your full attention; it doesn't need to be fighting with the painting hanging above and below it.

And one could almost miss the Velasquez Pope (the Francis Bacon Pope Innocent is in the Vatican Museum; what a coup it would be to have these two paintings juxtaposed at an exhibition. Someone should consider it.) because it is an alcove by itself. I almost walked right by it.

It is a marvelous museum, and I think that is certainly worth a trip, but if I had to choose between the Doria-Pamphilij and the Borghese Gallery, I would go with the Borghese.

Thin
Old Oct 6th, 2009, 08:44 AM

I remember sitting and listening to beautiful music in Santa Maria in Trastevere one morning. The church is incredibly beautiful, as is the church itself. It wasn't until we left that we realized we were enjoying a funeral!

Tracy
Old Oct 6th, 2009, 02:43 PM

Most likely there is great sunday music at the Chiesa Nuova - headquarters of the Orotarians, founded by St Philip Neri
http://www.vallicella.org >>

jjkbrook - i had a look at the website, and as well as mass four times on sundays, presumably with music, there are regualr concerts by an early music group. Better still there is one the day after we get there, and they're free.

so I've put that on our itinerary. thanks for posting the deetails.

tcreath - when we were in Rome the first time, we kept coming across choirs rehearsing, which certainly enhanced the atmosphere of many of the churches we visited. and funeral music can also be beautiful.

northie - I'll look out for the Doria-Pamphilij, if we have time.
Old Oct 6th, 2009, 03:07 PM

if you want to go to a mass in english go to the church of santa susanna

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

FODOR'S VIDEO