Things to do in London?

Old May 10th, 2001, 09:07 AM
jeff

Things to do in London?

What are some of the most worthwhile things to do in London? Any advice?

Old May 10th, 2001, 10:49 AM
Linda

I alway urge people to take a bus tour the first thing. It is relaxing when you are jet lagged, and gives you a good overview of the city so you can plan the rest of your sightseeing more efficiently. You also get to see the outsides of sights that you would only want to see the outside of, like Big Ben, so you can cross quite a few things off your list right away. Plus, you can get off and back on at any sight you want to see right then. To me, it is good value for the money you spend.

Old May 10th, 2001, 10:57 AM
Jill

Are you serious? London -- worthwhile things? You have to be kidding. If you honestly have no idea of worthwhile things in London you are in serious trouble. Go to the library, get out some guide books (read them), get some videos (watch them). I sincerely hope this is just a troll question.

Old May 10th, 2001, 02:21 PM
mari

that was a great suggestion re the bus tour! we'll arrive at 7:30 a.m. after a grueling honolulu-lax-dulles-heathrow flight and i was wondering how to spend a first groggy day w/o being on our feet so much. any tips for a good tour you've tried?

Old May 10th, 2001, 05:23 PM
Linda

I always use the Big Bus tours and get on at Trafalgar Square. But I've heard they are all good.

Old May 10th, 2001, 05:29 PM
Hallie

Go to a play at the Globe. Spend the afternoon at the British Museum. Tour the Tower of London then take a ferry to Greenwitch. Walk through Hyde Park. Tour Westminster Abbey. Take a day trip to Windsor Castle.

Old May 10th, 2001, 09:58 PM
Philip

The bus tour is a good thing to do. I have enjoyed the Big Bus tours. Their website is www.bigbus.co.uk. I would study the map and begin the tour at point 1 because sometimes if you start the tour in the middle, you have to change buses when it comes around to point 1 and on the new bus you may not be able to sit where you like or with the people you are with. <BR> <BR>The Tower of London is always a great idea. Definitely see the Crown Jewels (but don't try to take pictures of them). <BR> <BR>Walk around the inside of Westminster Abbey. There is some wonderful history there. <BR> <BR>The Cabinet War Rooms are interesting. Winston Churchill ran WW2 from these underground offices. <BR> <BR>If you are there on a Sunday morning, get some free entertainment at Speaker's Corner in Hyde Park. Anyone can stand up and say whatever they want (as long as it's not against the Queen).

Old May 15th, 2001, 04:13 PM
Alfred Hitchcock

Leaning tower of Pizza!!! Always a good thing to see, no?

Old May 15th, 2001, 05:06 PM
JOdy

Just buy a trvelcard, zone 1 and 2 for the number of days you will be there, hop to the top of any doubledecker and don't bother with the tourists buses. You will see parts of the city the BigBus will NEVER hit!

Old May 15th, 2001, 05:17 PM
seamus

That would be Greenwich.Don't think there are a lot of witches there. Jeff, you need to buy a basic guide book, read it and then come back with specific questions. We can't do it all for you.

Old May 15th, 2001, 08:45 PM
xxxxx

I think I smell a Troll!!!!!!!!

Old May 17th, 2001, 02:39 PM
what

What is a troll?

Old May 19th, 2001, 04:06 PM
Todd Prong

Jeff, there is a website: <BR> <BR>http://www.spartacus.schoolnet.co.uk/London.htm <BR> <BR>It will teach you all about what you need to know about London. After reading this, you should have a good understanding of London! <BR>Good luck, man <BR>Todd <BR>

Old May 20th, 2001, 08:38 AM
Joel

Jeff, <BR> <BR>I live in London. London sucks. It's dirty, crowded and full of fumes, doggy do, pickpockets and tramps. You wanna get out of central London. <BR> <BR>Yes, take the Big Bus tour for the main sights and an overview, but at some point, head for Hampton Court Palace - the Versailles of England - especially if the weather is nice: <BR> <BR>Take the tube/underground - what you call a "subway" - (Victoria Line) to Vauxhall station, then go to Platform 8 and get on a train bound for Hampton Court. When you get there, the Palace is just a short walk from the train station, across the Thames. <BR> <BR>You will be in suburban London, but the place is huge and entry to the gardens is free and they're very beautiful. You'll feel like you're in a rural environment. <BR> <BR>The palace is mostly unfurnished now, so paying to see its interior is of dubious value. (Some people love it, though.) <BR> <BR>You can take a boat trip up the Thames from there, back into London, if you want; but check their departure times when you first get to the Palace. <BR> <BR>Yes, you can get day trips by bus ("coach") from Victoria Station to Windsor Castle, but it's in a busy urban area, too, and usually crowded. (Although there _is_ a Baskin Robbins there!) <BR> <BR>Leeds castle is much more unusual (not to mention prettier) and in a rural setting, and it's not much further. Again, a day trip there by coach is available from Victoria Station. <BR>