Things to do in Italy

Old Oct 24th, 2001, 02:20 PM
Cara

Things to do in Italy

I am planning a trip to Flor,Ven&Rome. It seems like the thing to do is go to museums. I'm not that into museums. Is Italy the wrong vacation for me?

Old Oct 24th, 2001, 02:34 PM
Capo

Hi Cara. For some people, museums are the thing to do in Italy. For others it's food, or something else. Everyone's priorities are different. You can still have a wonderful time in Italy even if you don't set foot inside a single museum. To me, just being in those three cities is like being in living open-air museums.

Old Oct 24th, 2001, 03:08 PM
BuyaBook

You're either a troll or someone who has not opened up a book to read about Italy. If you are serious in planning a trip, start your research with a travel guidebook (such as Fodors or Frommers) and learn what each place has to offer and find out what interests you. You obviously don't know a thing about Italy and I think for you to say "the only thing to do is go to museums" makes me think your're a troll. One can't help you if you don't have some input of your own.

Old Oct 24th, 2001, 03:11 PM
cara

nice response. i didn't say i thought it was the only thing to do. what i was saying was --- i was getting the impression that it was the main attraction--that's all. sorry, you didn't uncover a troll.

Old Oct 24th, 2001, 03:16 PM
Book Chick

Cara,
Capo is right. All three cities have gorgeous buildings, cafes & shops to entertain you. Florence & Rome (not so much Venice, due to the water canals throughout the town) also have some lovely parks & all 3 have bridges with scenic views. It is incredibly relaxing just to take a leisurely stroll down a cobblestoned side street. I would say give it a try, you might be surprised at how much you enjoy it. Also, I am not a religious person, but the churches (inside & out) are incredibly beautiful & peaceful.
Best Wishes,
BC

Old Oct 24th, 2001, 07:19 PM
Vita

Cara, I just got back from Rome and Florence. Yes, the museums were nice, but that wasn't the best part about the trip. The best part was just walking around and people watching. In Rome, lose yourself in the small side streets and cross the river and go the Gianicolo and Castello Sant'Angelo for wonderful views of Rome. At night, take a walk along the river and go to Piazza Navona. In Florence, see the Boboli Gardens, sit at one of the piazze and just watch the world go by, take walk along the Arno, have a drink and watch the view from Piazzale Michelangelo.

Have a blast!

Old Oct 24th, 2001, 07:27 PM
grasshopper

Cara,

You can do almost anything you would ever want to do in Italy: Hike, bike, walk, swim, eat, drink, wine taste, hang out in cafes and watch the world go by, meet genuinely nice people, see incredible antiquities, shop in world class high fashion botiques,visit famous old cathedrals, see amazing sculptures, see movies, windsurf, snorkle, sail, taking cooking classes.............and go to museums. What's missing from your favorite things to do on vacation?

Old Oct 24th, 2001, 08:22 PM
Laura

Two words: Bacci Gelatto.

There is a little ice cream shop at the Trevi Fountain that serves Bacci Ice Cream. That's the only reason you need to go honey!!

Old Oct 25th, 2001, 11:14 AM
Paolo

Just returned from Italy, never set foot in a museum and had the time of my life. I'm an artist by the way. Castles, cathedrals, countryside, piazzas, people and food, food, food.

Old Oct 25th, 2001, 11:37 AM
m

I think the best part about those cities is just walking around and exploring. there so much to see without setting foot in a museum. I took my kids there and they are not crazy about art museums but, sometimes there's an exception. While there, if have some free time, go on a quick museum tour, or rent a headset and go at your on pace, skipping areas you're not at all interested in. My kids were impressed with doges palace (venice), and the history behind it all is quite interesting. I loved the borghese gallery (rome), it's small and takes about an hour (more if your a real 'art' appreciater). In Venice there's the History of Science Museum that's quite fascinating if you're a science buff. In any case, you should find plenty to do (and eat!).

Old Oct 25th, 2001, 12:11 PM
Surlok

Cara,

You don't have to visit museums, or even a church, if you don't feel like, to enjoy Italy.

As another poster said, just strolling by the piazzas (Navonna, Colonna, di Spagna, Fontana di Trevi) and Trastevere in Rome, the Borghese Gardens, and the Spanish steps will make a trip worth, not mentioning the pasta, pizza, wine and gelatto, and the handsome Italian men.

In Florence, a stroll along the Arno and Ponte Vecchio, by Piazza della Signoria and Republica, the Boboli Gardens, and the market behind the Duomo will again fit your bill, if you don't want to do museums, not to mention side trips to Fiesole, S. Gemignano and Siena.

Venice is the strollers paradise, every alley is delightful, even the dead ends. A vaporetto ride, or a gindola, if it fits your budget, , crossing the Rialto Bridge, a glass of Prosecco sipped while sited at a cafe in San Marco piazetta, what else one needs to enjoy Venice...?? If you feel like visiting the interior of the Cathedral, and also the Doges Palace, great, but if not, just watching them from the outside would be enough to enjoy the atmosphere.

Besides, Cara (Mia), with this name --Cara (Mia)= (my) dear or darling, in Italian-- how can Italy not being worth for you?

Go, and enjoy your trip,

Surlok

Old Oct 25th, 2001, 05:56 PM
Cheryl Z.

I loved Surlok's last comment! And yes, Cara, you will adore Italy and find much to do, see, admire, respect and enjoy. Actually, when I first saw the title of your post, my first thought was "eat!" Anyway, I'm not a "museum person" either, and Italy is one of my favorite countries - as most everyone else has mentioned, there's something for everyone. Have a wonderful trip.

Old Oct 25th, 2001, 06:44 PM
Jim Tardio

I'm not a museum person either. Italy is wonderful even if you're lost.

I just returned myself and have posted a bunch of new pictures if you'd like to have a look.

http://www.jimtardio.com/italy.html

Old Oct 25th, 2001, 06:54 PM
KATHY L

CARA,
WE WENT TO ROME IN 1997. MY HUSBANDS COMPANY GAVE US THE TRIP. IT WAS THEIR WAY OF THANKING FOR WORKING HARD.HE DID NOT WANT TO GO AND THIS MAN LOVES HISTORY. AND ROME IS FULL OF IT. HE WENT SCREAMING THAT HE DID NOT WANT TO GO UP TO THE DAY WE LEFT.HE HAD NEVER BEEN OUT OF THE US BEFORE. BUT LET ME TELL YOU HE LOVED AND WANTS TO GO BACK. THE VATICAN WAS WORTH THE TRIP AND I'M NOT CATHOLIC, BUT IT WAS BEAUTIFUL. IWE JUST HAD FUN EXPLORING AND PEOPLE WATCHING. I TELL PEOPLE I MEET IF THEY NEVER HAVE BEEN THEY NEED DO THEM SELF A FAVOR AND GO. YOU WILL LOVE. THIS MARCH WE ARE GOING TO LONDON. HAVE A BLAST.IF YOU HAVE ANY QUESTIONS E-MAIL ME. KATHY

Old Oct 25th, 2001, 09:33 PM
Amore

Hi! I identify greatly with the last post. My husband and I celebrated our 25th anniversary a couple of years ago. He had never been to Italy and is a Hawaiian beach type of guy. The idea of driving with those crazy Italians and seeing boring old buildings was the last thing he wanted to do....but, he loves me, right? I figured we'd come back and enter the divorce court! I planned our 10 day adventure well in advance, and about dropped to the ground when he asked (during a dinner in San Gimignano) how I would feel about spending a month in Tuscany after we retire!!!! We had a marvelous and romantic 10 day visit and will be returning next summer with friends! Italy is hard to beat!

Old Oct 26th, 2001, 08:29 AM
Vita

Here's something else. When I went to Piazzale Michelangelo in Florence, I visited San Miniato, an old church at the top of the hill. I'm not a very religious person, but the church was beautiful as were many of the churches around Florence. The cool thing was that, as I was leaving, I heard this beautiful chanting like gregorian monks. I turned around and there were monks chanting in the altar. It was beautiful and everyone started gathering to listen. I'm not sure how often this happens, but it was my first night in Florence, a Sunday, probably around 6:00, close to sundown.

Old Oct 29th, 2001, 04:36 PM
Barb

I enjoyed seeing all the museums and churches, but the best part of Italy to me was exploring streets in Venice, people watching from a cafe on the Piazza Navona in Rome, sitting on the Campo in Siena and watching the crazy guy in the red hat doing his act, eating wonderful food, drinking great wine, and just soaking up this wonderful country.