Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Things to do in Florence for 2 days if you are not BIG into art?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 3rd, 2007, 05:37 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi

We are spending one week in Italy
3 nights in Rome
2 nights in Florence
2 nights in Venice

We pretty much know what we want to do and see in Rome so that is kind of sorted out

We travel on to Florence on Monday mornign 28th May. We know we want to see The David in Accademia and to see the Duomo but to be honest I am not sure how else to spend out time. We are not art buffs.

I had intended on seeing all the above on the Monday we arrived )but the Accademia is closed on a Monday) and take a day trip to Sienna on the Tuesday but we have to forget that now really I guess?

Any suggestions on how to spend the 2 days . ( We get the train on to Venice on the morning of the 30th )

Thanks so much
Old Apr 3rd, 2007, 05:45 AM

The Museum of Science might appeal to you--lots of old scientific instruments collected and used by Galileo.

Just walking in Florence can be a pleasure, especially once you cross the Ponte Vecchio and reach the Oltrarno--fewer crowds, narrow quiet streets.

You could walk, or take a bus or taxi to Piazzale Michelangelo for a beautiful view of Florence and a feeling of green tuscan hills around you, and then walk back down the hill.

Or take the bus to Fiesole, a small town overlooking Florence--visit the old churches and Roman ruins, have a drink in the piazza and watch the sun set.
Old Apr 3rd, 2007, 05:57 AM
Original Poster

That sounds wonderful

After racing around Rome for 3 days I would like to take it easy in Florence so I like the idea of leisuely strolls and glasses of wine!
Thanks for the tips on the best places to do that....
Old Apr 3rd, 2007, 06:06 AM

We enjoyed a stroll round the Boboli gardens, a lovely place to get away from the crowds and traffic.
Old Apr 3rd, 2007, 07:11 AM

My DW would sum up your options in one word: "shop".
Old Apr 3rd, 2007, 07:21 AM
ira

Hi I,

Siena is only 1:30 hr from Florence by SITA bus. You could see the main sites Monday afternoon.

For Tuesday, this might help you:

A DAY IN FLORENCE:

Train to Florence SMN:
The Luggage Office is to your left as you leave the train.

From Piazza d' Stazione, walk up via Nazionale to via d'Ariento and the Mercato Centrale, wander through.

Take any street going NE to Via Degli Alfani and go right to the Accademia for The David.

Take via Ricasoli SE to the Duomo, the Baptistry and the Opera Museum (Originals of the bronzes on the doors)

From the Campanile, take via Calzaiuoli S (do some window shopping) to the Piazza d' Signoria. Look around, take a break.

Continue S to the Uffizi. Visit.

From the Uffizi, walk W along the Arno River to the Ponte Vecchio.

(You can walk up to the Pitti Palace and the Boboli Gardens if there is time. Great views of Florence from the top of the Gardens)

If you have time, walk E along the S bank of the river to Ponte alle grazie and cross over to visit Santa Croce.

If not, go W along the Arno from Ponte Vecchio to Ponte S. Trinita and go right. Go left on Via d'Spada to via d'Fossi and go right to Santa Maria Novella. Look around.

SMN is across the square from the train station.

Be sure to have lots of gelato (in a cup, not a cone), take some wine breaks and a light lunch.

Train schedules, prices and tickets are at www.trenitalia.com

Bus routes are at http://www.ataf.net/
Buy your ticket before you get on the bus. Stamp it in the yellow box on the bus.

Uffizi and Academia Museum Reservations
The easiest and cheapest way is to call Florence 1016868 (dial around number), 011 (U.S. international access code) 39 (Italy's country code) then 055-294-883 8:30-18:30 M-F and 8:30-12:00 Sat. Florence time. You will get an English speaking operator and in 2-3 minutes YOU CAN RESERVE FOR BOTH. This is through the reservation service at the Uffizi and costs beyond the normal entry fee only about 3 euro for the service. This is MUCH cheaper than the commercial booking services.

You will not be charged for the reservations unless you use them.

Have a nice visit.

Old Apr 3rd, 2007, 07:28 AM

We were in Florence for 3 nights, and visited museums one-a-day rather than trying to compress the whole experience. My wife wanted to have her hair dyed and cut in Italy, and she got a great recommendation for a salon - so, I had a very long afternoon to myself in which I enjoyed the walk described in this wonderful article:
http://www.florencevillas.com/newsle...letter_34.html

The trip across the Arno (sure, take the Ponte Vecchio) up to the Piazzale Michelangelo in the afternoon with stops for wine, food, and soaking up the scene could easily fill the rest of the first day. You'll still have plenty of time to experience the pedestrian shopping route and outdoor market after your visit to the Accademia - I wonder if the Asian woman who was replicating masterpieces in chalk will still be working in the Duomo vicinity. Amazingly detailed stuff!
Old Apr 3rd, 2007, 07:30 AM

Boboli Gardens. The gardens themselves are beautiful, but once you hike to the top you can see the entire city of Florence. It is breathtaking!
Old Apr 3rd, 2007, 07:31 AM
nbujic

We stayed Florence for several days without visiting museums or galleries ( the lines were huge and my DH refused to wait for hours).
Grate place to walk around, shop, and relax. Another vote for Fiesole , Siena and the Gardens .

Old Apr 3rd, 2007, 07:42 AM

I echo Ira and ellenem.....
you get the sense in Rome of hustle and bustle ...Firenze is a relaxed sorta place...If you like to shop....just strolling window shopping or actual purchasing....grabbing gelato.. walking some more ..taking a glass or two of the grape and relax...
I like Art and all but after awhile you sorta get overloaded ya know.
Hit the art highlights and then break away.I happened to be there last year during the grape harvest festivities...
If you like to cook ...take a class..
and oh ...did I say relax?you are on holiday
Old Apr 3rd, 2007, 07:51 AM
Original Poster

Everyone

Thank you so so much for all that advice and wonderful detail - relaxing strolling and shopping sounds wonderful

As a side line - where would you recommed for buying a nice big soft leather shoulder bag ? Rome / Flor or Venice???

Thanks again!

Agree with the other responses

Also www.accidentaltourist.com

Click on my name for my recent trip report (We're Back from..)

I would advise skipping the Uffizi if you aren't huge art buffs.

Leather-- at the San Lorenzo Market in Florence. We bought 3 leather bags there!
Old May 7th, 2007, 03:35 AM

YES!! Shopping in the markets is a definite! I purchased 3 of the most beautiful leather jackets at a very reasonable price.

The guys in the shop know style and what suits people and they are always willing to help you find other bargains in the market place too - they helped me find a beautiful leather handbag, leather belt, and an awesome pair of jeans all for a reasonable price.

Miriam Leather Factory
"Moda In Pelle"
Via dell'Ariento, 35r - 50123 Firenze
Ph. 0039 055 291283

If you are standing in front of San Lorenzo church, there is a street leading away from it called Via dell'Ariento (it will be lined with carts and stalls...) Head toward Mercato Centrale and just after you cross Via S. Antonino, start looking for the address (it will be on your left in between a jewellery store and a fruit store). It's not a cart, it's in one of the buildings on the footpath. Just ask for "Fabio" or "Alex".

Enjoy your visit to Florence!!
Old May 7th, 2007, 03:42 AM

Il Bisonte is a reliable Florentine source for unstructured bags in good leather:

http://www.ilbisonte.net/v2/home.php?newlang=english

I would also recommend a visit to the Santa Maria Novella Farmacia on Via della Scala.

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=34736124

Frankly, just walking around the city will keep you occupied. Just soak up the atmosphere and if you have a spare minute, take a bus to Fiesole and enjoy the view. Or visit an enoteca and sample some wine; ask if you want recommendations.
Old May 7th, 2007, 04:04 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
hi, indecisive,

If you don't fancy the uffuzi as well as the accademia, follow Ira's directions to the accademia [and try to get an early booking slot via the phone no - it's very easy to use] then after your visit, [don't miss the musical instruments!] turn right out of the accademia and carry on up the street to the square [san marco?] where you can catch the bus up to Fiesole. [the stop is the first one you come to after you turn onto the square]

in fiesole, don't miss the walk up to the monastery [turn up the little street opposite the cathedral entrance and keep walking] [there's a restaurant up thre too but don't know what it's like].

when you get to the top, take the time to look around the garden and the brothers' cells, then go inside the church, and walk to the back following signs to the museum [free]. there is a lovely nativity scene, plus exhibits from all over the world collected in the brothers' missionary journeys.

on the way down, follow the path through the gardens and at the bottom, turn right onto a little road - it will bring you to the entrance to the roman amphitheatre & other remains.

With a leisurely lunch, [the restaurant under the trees on the opposite side of the square to the bus stop is very nice] it makes a very nice relaxed day. [NB the buses stop during lunch -time any way, so you might as well stop as well!]

regards, ann