Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Want to spend 1 day in London (Approx 12 pm - 12am)

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 17th, 2013, 03:34 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi,
I have a layover in London for around 20 hours. I'll be landing at 12 noon and have a lot of time until the next flight. Can someone suggest me where all can I visit ?

How do I travel from the airport to the city and back ?
Also, will I be able to spend the night at airport or does it shut down?

I would really appreciate all the help.
Old Dec 17th, 2013, 09:39 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Which airport? London has five.
Old Dec 18th, 2013, 12:59 AM

London is a huge city with everything in it - more shops than you can visit, there are museums (of every type science/history/nature), historic buildings ,Churches, Abbeys , Castles , theatres, restaurants , night clubs, street markets, cinemas, tourist attractions (like the London Eye and Madame Tussuad's) ,there is the seat of the UK government , the homes of the royalty (Buckingham palace etc.) , the River Thames with boat trips.
Old Dec 18th, 2013, 01:04 AM

If landing at noon, you have to allow for immigration plus picking up luggage plus travel into the city centre. Then you have to allow for travel back to the airport, plus check-in time as required by your airline. If your scheduled departure is 8am, you will need to be back at the airport for 6am for most flights.

All of these are variables dependent on the airport(s) and airline(s) in question, so it's not easy to advise, beyond saying it won't be anything like 20 hours free to sight-see in London - especially since a large chunk of it will also be the night hours - where/when were you planning to sleep?
Old Dec 18th, 2013, 03:18 AM

Whichever airport you're using:

- Details of how to get into town are on its website

- Your name implies you may have links with South Asia. If that is correct, your list of priorities might put Lord's, or connections with Gandhi or Jinnah, higher up your priority list than Changing the Guard.

A lifetime isn't really enough to see all of London, and any list you get from a stranger is just pointless. You might start off with the London pages on this site - though two nanoseconds anywhere else on the web will be a million times more useful

- It's impossible to stop people sitting up overnight at the airports, but our airports don't encourage it. (see reviews at http://www.sleepinginairports.net/eu...m#.UrGP0fRdUoI)
There are hotels plugged into the terminals at Gatwick, Stansted and Heathrow T5 and T4 (miles from the others). There's a Yotel adjacent to T4 at Heathrow: other hotels are several miles away from the other terminals.

If you're a night owl, it's not too difficult to bop till 3-4, get a bus to LHR, then sleep once you're on the plane. There is early-morning public transport to the other airports Detailed timetables for getting to Heathrow, Gatwick, City and Stansted airports at the journey planner at http://www.tfl.gov.uk/. This gives limited information for Luton, since it omits direct buses for which you need to go to the airport website
Old Dec 18th, 2013, 03:19 AM

Sorry

The sleeping reviews are at:

http://www.sleepinginairports.net/eu...m#.UrGP0fRdUoI