Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Which London Airport is closer to the city?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 19th, 2003, 07:54 AM
Kaneohe

Which of the following airports is closest to the city of London?<BR>Stansted<BR>Lutton<BR>Gatwick<BR>

Old Jan 19th, 2003, 08:24 AM
JMM

Heathrow - which is not on your list is closest. Of the ones on your list, Gatwick is closest.

Old Jan 19th, 2003, 08:25 AM
Keith

In terms of distance there's not a lot in it but access to central London is best (if you are using rail) from Gatwick and second best from Luton. I hear the rail service from Stanstead is not that great but it should have you in London within an hour I would have thought. City Airport is the only airport close to central London.

Old Jan 19th, 2003, 09:05 AM
Frank

London City Airport in the Docklands is, by far, the closest airport to central London. It's easy to get there by car, but it's more difficult to get there by public transport. (DLR+bus when I went there 2 years ago). It has limited service like Westchester Airport in New York.<BR><BR>Stansted is farther than Gatwick or Heathrow. The train goes to Liverpool Street Station, which is a bit out of the way for some people.

Old Jan 20th, 2003, 12:21 PM
Carolina

There is a lot of work being done on the train line from London to Stansted, so this journey takes longer than usual (and will do so for some time). It is easy to get to London from Luton or Gatwick, as stated, Gatwick is the nearest of the three.<BR>Carolina