THINGS TO CARRY ON A TRANSATLANTIC FLIGHT

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 4th, 2007, 08:39 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Carry-on bag that will hold all, including purse, laptop, etc. EU only allows one carry-on Total,

Toothpaste & toothbrush, it’s an overnight flight.

Ipod and/or MP3, or, just the earphones to mute cabin noise

Ear-Phones (plugs to ensure that your ears don’t pop. Available at drugstores)

An orange, you’ll dehydrate on the long flight. Especially if you drink alcohol.

Crackers or nibbles. Food stinks and there’s not much of it

Book, NY Times Crossword, something to pass the time

Any and all medications

All jewelry, remember the suitcase you checked isn’t locked!

I'm sure there's more for this list that I've forgotten.
Old Mar 4th, 2007, 08:49 AM

Your ticket and passport?
A pen so you can fill out those forms before landing?
Any important tickets, vouchers, and confirmations just in case your luggage goes astray.
Old Mar 4th, 2007, 08:52 AM

of course make sure your toothpaste, shaving gels, other "liquids" are in containers no larger than 3oz each and in a ziplock bag.

Don't forget a book!
Old Mar 4th, 2007, 08:54 AM

We also have maps, guidebook and language books as well. Hit the ground running...
Old Mar 4th, 2007, 08:56 AM

contact solution, glasses, sunglasses

camera, cell phone + assorted chargers

chapstick, lotion

clean shirt (also good in case of spills), and change of clothes if luggage goes astray
Old Mar 4th, 2007, 09:00 AM

Sleep mask, perhaps one of those blow up pillow/neck supports everyone is using, thick socksto keep your feet warm should you want to take off your shoes and wiggle your toes during the flight, chapstick, deodorant (can't tell you how many times I remember to put it in the suitcase, but not a small travel size one!!) eyedrops if you were contacts- the stale air will get to your eyes!, change of clothes/underwear, etc. in case your luggage is delayed, comb and brush, hotel info!
Old Mar 4th, 2007, 10:29 AM

I sure do agree with the chapstick people!!! I also need my little bottle of antibacterial hand wash.
Old Mar 4th, 2007, 10:30 AM

I always lock my suitcase, always. And I have only had the lock popped once. Found the lock lying inside the suitcase on top of everything. Nothing was missing. No way am I making the ability to go through my things easier, especially when a friend had all her underwear stolen out of her bag. That's it, only the undies - creepy.
Old Mar 4th, 2007, 12:52 PM
Original Poster

Oops! It's Ear planes, not ear phones.
Old Mar 4th, 2007, 12:53 PM

Beaupeep, if you're in the US get the TSA locks. You can now get the keyed kind rather than the combination lock.

I always bring dental floss because I can't stay away from the nuts they serve & it drives me crazy to have them stuck in my teeth.
Old Mar 4th, 2007, 01:12 PM

Change of clothes

Medications

Toiletries and make up

Extra glasses

Saline spray and eye drops

Camera and accessories

Any confirmations and documents

They supply beverages and I can go 8 hours without snacks

Ear plugs

Ballpoint pen

Can’t read on the plane, they have plenty of music channels, I don’t play computer games.. I drink, eat and sleep
And arrive

Old Mar 4th, 2007, 01:16 PM

I'm adding hand sanitizer since I'm a germaphobe and hand cream since that can dry your hands out. Also, as much water as you can buy after you cross the security gate. I've heard too many sketch stories of the water not being clean in the plane bathrooms. If you're on the plane a long time, you may want to brush your teeth and I would NOT suggest using the water from the sink.
Old Mar 4th, 2007, 02:31 PM

Get up walk, to the service area ,and ask for a bottle of water. No need to carry any and no need to use the water dispensers...I could not even tell you if they still had those.

I'm sure you go at least 8 hours at home without brushing..wait until you get to your hotel or use the water the FA supplies
Old Mar 4th, 2007, 02:57 PM

within the US you do not HAVE to leave your checked bag unlocked. TSA would PREFER that, but it is not a requirement. The special locks are a courtesy to the TSA. If they want to open your bag, they will either break or otherwise compromise a standard lock, and that way you KNOW they've been in your case.
Old Mar 4th, 2007, 03:01 PM

Pashmina to wrap around your shoulders when it gets chilly in the plane...(blankets provided are best around your legs).
Old Mar 4th, 2007, 04:13 PM

Beaupeep, underwear only -- that's what happened to me when I checked a bag Maui to Los Angeles a couple of months ago. I used a TSA approved lock. When I got home and opened the bag they had added a note saying they had gone through my things. The only things missing were two pairs of underpants.
Old Mar 4th, 2007, 05:41 PM

Interesting: somebody with a fetish for panties in Airport Security...
Old Mar 4th, 2007, 05:48 PM

On the issue of teeth brushing, I always brush mine before trying to nap. I also wash and moisturize my face. It helps me relax and get my mind in sleep mode. I also brush my teeth and wash my face when I wake up - either before landing or just hit the nearest bathroom in the terminal. I never thought about the germs in the water, but whatever. I guess it just helps create more antibodies to illness I don't think about the germs in hotel room blankets, floors, etc. and I don't give much thought to the germs on public buses and trains.
Old Mar 4th, 2007, 05:50 PM

We are planning to take a package of "airborne gummy bears" as well as regular Airborne to ward of colds from being in the cabin. In the past I have also used the pillows and blankets provided, but now wonder how clean they are, so a wrap should so the trick. A frind of mine swears that gargling several times with Listerine helps too....can't hurt.

Old Mar 4th, 2007, 05:56 PM

Jody, I guess it depends on what you're doing as soon as you land. You might be headed straight to a business meeting. You might be smooching someone you haven't seen in a while Never know when that toothbrush might come in handy!

And of course, how could I forget the Airborne! (smacking my forehead)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -