Reload this Page >

TheTraveler is Back--2

Search

TheTraveler is Back--2

Search this Thread

Old Jul 25th, 2002, 06:32 PM
TheTraveler

TheTraveler is Back--2

Part 2: From Portovenere, we drove further into Tuscany via Pisa and San G. We spent a little time in each place and then settled into our farm/B&B Santo Pietro just outside of Pienza. This was in the Karen Brown B&B listing as well as recommended here. We loved it! The 11 rooms were simple but clean. The highlight here was Guila's cooking. We had 5 course gourmet dinners in the courtyard each evening as we drank Felice's wine. Neither Felice nor Guila speak any English, but the waiter, Uma was great! This was at a cost (for half board) or 62 Euros per person!<BR><BR>We spent 3 nights here and visited Montalcinio, the San Antimo Abbey (gorgeous site--and the monks chanting!), Pienza, and we took a day trip into Florence. We drove everywhere and had no difficulty driving into Florence and parking.<BR><BR>From Pienza, we drove north for 2 nights in Venice. La Calcina, highly recommended to us, was wonderful. It was easy to find, close to sites, and our room overlooked the canal with 4 windows! We had them open all night and felt as tho we were sleeping under the stars! The staff was wonderful and breakfast outside on the canal--great. We did all the normal sightseeing, found a church festival at San Pietro, and visited Burano and Murano.<BR><BR>On July 2, we drove to St. Gilgen, Austria via Cortina and the Grossglockner Pass. The day was cloudy, and I was disappointed that the others could not get the full effect of the Dolomites. I have seen them before. The Grossglockner was still a wonder to see, and we felt the $26 toll was worth it.<BR><BR>St. Gilgens is marvelous, and thanks again, Bob the Nav, for the great hotel rec. The Kendler was clean and spacious and in the center of town. From here, day trips to Salzburg and Hallstatt were easy. We spent a full day in Salzburg absorbing all the sites. We are now experts on Mozart! Our travel companions wanted to see a salt mine, so we did the one near Hallstatt spending the remainder of the day near Hallstatt.<BR><BR>On July 5, we drove to Hohenfurch, Germany via Chiemisee and Ludwig's castle. The small inn in Hohenfurch was recommended by Wes Fowler, and we found it and the village very charming. Wes' itinerary was in our hands as we explored the region. For 55 Euros per night/per room including breakfast, this adorable inn was a steal! The food and staff were wonderful.<BR><BR>On the first evening, we discovered a street festival in nearby Schongau. We ate traditional German food with the German crowd. The German family at our table was a delight, and we conversed with them as we ate, drank, and danced to a big band orchestra under the stars. They played lots of American big band music. It was quite a sight as we danced to "New York, New York" under the German stars.<BR><BR>The following day was a full one, as we stopped by Wierkirsch (children's mass in progress) and Ettal (in midst of a wedding). We made brief stops at Oberammergau, Mittenwald and Innsbruck.<BR><BR>As we headed for our final night in Dielsdorf, Switzerland, we stopped in Munich center and the Olympic Park and spent the evening in nearby Regensberg, Switz. We had a wonderful dinner atop this medieval village at the Bellevue and headed home from Zurich the following day.<BR><BR>We found the crowds to be smaller than in previous visits and did not see many Americans. Everyone told us that tourism was down....a good time to travel!<BR><BR>Thank you all once again...I am counting the minutes until I can begin planning another European adventure, and I will be back for all of your expert advice! Mille, mille grazie! TheTraveler.

Old Jul 25th, 2002, 08:23 PM
perhaps

Perhaps if you used a 'handle' somewhat less presumptious than 'The Traveler' You would receive more responses. After all, you are the one less travelled.

Old Jul 26th, 2002, 04:12 AM
jw

Whoaa, Perhaps, snipe-snipe.<BR><BR>Traveler (I have no problem whatsoever w/your name -- if you like Switzerland, you're ok avec moi)(and how's that for pretension -- slipping in the only French words I know whenever possible?)<BR><BR>I degress: Traveler, the Lowen in Dielsdorf has been on my to-do list for awhile as it was recommended in the Karen Brown book, and I've passed its name along here as a possible last-night location for anyone who'd like to take a look at Regensberg. So, even though I reserved at the Zum Goldenen Kopf in Bulach for my most recent departure, I took a quick busride from Bulach to Dielsdorf and then to Regensberg that afternoon. Unfortunately it was during the heatwave and it felt like 95 up on top of that hill. I walked to the Lowen while waiting for my ride back to Bulach, and had a Ramseier on their little terrace. Sooooo my question is would you recommend it as a last-night place to stay? Affectionately, J.

Old Jul 26th, 2002, 06:16 AM
BOB THE NAVIGATOR

Buon giorno Traveler, Now that is one great trip. Thanks for the report. It is always gratifying to hear back from people who enjoy these destinations as much as we do. I am glad the Kendler worked out for you--I had a recent client that was not so happy with it.<BR>Where to next year ??

Old Jul 26th, 2002, 06:23 AM
adam hayden

Dont tell him, mate, he'll try an' sell you an itinerary.

Old Jul 26th, 2002, 11:21 AM
Connie

What is the name of the Inn in Hohenfurch? It sounds charming. I have been following some of Wes' suggestions as I plan a 2 week trip in the autumn. Reading about yours is getting me very enthusiastic!

Old Jul 26th, 2002, 06:25 PM
Connie

What is the name of the Inn in Hohenfurch? It sounds charming. I have been following some of Wes' suggestions as I plan a 2 week trip in the autumn. Reading about yours is getting me very enthusiastic!

Old Jul 26th, 2002, 07:24 PM
TheTraveler

Hi All, Glad to see some of you are managing to view my trip reports---There is always at least one in every group--right? Perhaps "Perhaps" is envious????? I don't believe he/she knows me or how travelled I am...One is never too travelled to learn something new from someone, right??<BR><BR>jw: We thought the Loewen was a great place for a last night stay near Zurich and Regensberg. We didn't get to absorb too much of the inn, as we didn't spend a lot of time there. We checked in and left for Regensberg. It was an easy and short drive to the Zurich airport.<BR><BR>Bob the Nav: Hope you saw part 1 of my report...Stella d'italia was also your rec, and we loved it. I have 2 more offers to go back to Italy--with my Dad and a cousin. That's hard to resist, but I need to spread my wings. We shall see.<BR><BR>Colleen: The inn in Hohenfurch was called Landgasthof U Cafe Schonach-Hof. There is no website, and they do not take credit cards. The phone number is 08861-4108. I have the fax # somewhere and will pass it on if I can. They speak no English, but there was an employee who spoke a little when we were there. I used a reservation form written in German.<BR><BR>Thanks again, all. TheTraveler!!!!<BR><BR>

Old Jul 27th, 2002, 04:33 AM
jw

Hi. Trav, maybe you can write just a bit more about Regensberg? As I mentioned, the heatwave was at its worst the afternoon that I visited, and I was not able to do justice to that little place. Oh well, something for next time. Thanks. J.

Old Jul 27th, 2002, 07:48 AM
TheTraveler

Hey Bob the Nav,<BR>I was just curious as to why a recent client of yours did not like the Kendler? We enjoyed St. Gilgen, and the Kendler was in the center--great locaton. The room was very large and clean, we ate one meal which was alright, and the staff was accomodating. At 80 Euros per night, it was great. What kind of problem did they have?? TheTraveler.