Thefts at security check points

Old Feb 12th, 2004, 10:39 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thefts at security check points

Just thought I would bring this to your attention in the event people are coming to the US from abroad. They were talking about reports of theft by federal security employees in the NY area. Apparently, they focus on people that are carrying a lot of cash. The report looked at incidents at Lagurdia, JFK and Newark I believe. I thought they said that the port authority had 200 complaints this year or this past year.

I just wanted to point this out because I think many of us feel more secure with federal employees but I think we are facing the same issues. I was once warned by a security employee back in the 90's (JFK)(before federal employees)to be careful that she had seen coworkers walk off with cash when they put the wallet through the x-ray (?) machine. I never had a problem but it is a good idea to keep your eyes open. There were a couple of airport federal workers who were interviewed and said they witnessed regular thefts by some coworkers. One women said she sees coworkers taking thousands of individual passengers. They also said small gadgets like digital cameras, palm pilots etc... were often lifted.

Just a heads up not meant to push anyone away from travel. ...won't stop me.
Old Feb 12th, 2004, 10:40 AM
Original Poster

I was watching a news piece on security check points.
Old Feb 12th, 2004, 11:30 AM

It would be nice if, when an employee saw a theft taking place, they would report it to their supervisor instead of a news reporter!!

There was a big arrest made earlier this week ..sorry can't remember where ..of a big gang of baggage handlers that had stolen millions!
Old Feb 12th, 2004, 11:37 AM
Original Poster

I thought they said they did report it and nothing was done jody.
Old Feb 12th, 2004, 12:56 PM

We try to empty pockets and put small things like cell phones into a bigger thing like backpack, rather than into those little open baskets. That way, no one should be able to 'lift' small items since they have to open the bag in front of you.

No safeguards for checked luggage anymore, I guess...

FYI, my hubby was using the little security pouch that his belt loops through, then it gets pushed down into waist of jeans/slacks. During the security check he had to remove the belt (metal buckle) and forgot about the pouch, which fell off the belt - he almost missed it on the floor. So now, we're trying out the leg safe that goes around your calf - he says it feels very comfortable.

As for cash, mine is either inside my bag/backpack (see above) or inside my moneybelt, which causes no security alarm. Hubby's moneyclip goes into the bag/backpack, not the little basket.

Another ploy we try is to go thru the security check separately, that is, I go thru first and get cleared, while he holds back (lets others go ahead) so I can watch for the bags in case he is getting checked out. This is no joke - in Austin, they couldn't keep up with whose bag was whose, and held one up saying "Who's bag is this?" !!
Old Feb 12th, 2004, 03:12 PM

I saw a news report a while back about some security personnel who were palming jewelry and cash while hand-checking bags; they were slipping the items into the rubber gloves they were wearing.

I put pocket items into a stiff clear ziploc bag for security (a kids pencil bag, actually), and put the ziploc into my carryon. They have no reason to actually put hands on the items themselves, they can just see them through the plastic. (Note that it's very hard to open a ziploc seal while wearing rubber gloves.)
Old Feb 13th, 2004, 08:00 AM
Original Poster

Ryn what a good idea! Now I need an idea about how I can get some of that jewelry and cash?
Old Feb 13th, 2004, 09:35 AM
JonJon

Just because someone works for the Federal Government is no guarantee of honesty or integrit y..c ase in point the current political administration

Old Feb 13th, 2004, 10:42 AM

Case in point, any political administration.
Old Feb 13th, 2004, 11:15 AM

JonJon, are you confused with the administration that stole articles from the White House and trashed the office computers...?
Old Feb 13th, 2004, 11:58 AM

Now, now....that never happened!