British Airways or Lufthansa

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 13th, 2004, 10:54 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We need to take a flight on British Airways or Lufthansa later this year. I have flown British Airways many times and I have had good and bad flights on them. I have never flown Lufthansa. How do the two airlines compare? Is there a significant difference between the two? Is it true that Lufthansa gives good food and good german beer on inter Europe flights? Thanks for any help.
Old Feb 13th, 2004, 11:04 AM

I've flown both BA and Lufthansa. I don't recall any significant differences between the two. I also don't remember good German beer being served on Lufthansa (maybe I just didn't want to buy any).

I will say that Lufthansa "feels" very professional. The seats are usually leather Ricarro (sp)... which to some people are very comfortable.. but for me NOT quite so much. I'm quite tall for a woman (nearly 6') so I don't feel very comfortable sitting in most of the seats on planes.

As far as food... I don't remember any significant differences there either. Take your pick. Either one would be a good choice. I do notice, though, that BA seems to be the one that cancels flights to the USA due to possible threats. That may mean that they are just a lot more conscientious about studying their passenger lists! Who knows!
Old Feb 13th, 2004, 11:10 AM
yk

SWilliams-
Are you inquiring about inter-Europe flights or trans-atlantic flights?
Old Feb 13th, 2004, 11:15 AM
Original Poster

This question is about inter Europe flights.
Old Feb 13th, 2004, 11:48 AM

I would take British Airways if I were you. As a devoted United Airlines customer, I have to take Lufthansa (unfortunately!) as one of their code share/star alliance partners while in Europe. It is certainly not by choice, believe me, I do not like Lufthansa's service or personnel. The flight experiences have been very inconsistent: luggage lost on one flight, cancelled flights, ticket purchase not applied to future flight, missing flight credit, etc. On the inter-Europe flights, alcoholic and non-alcoholic beverages are served as on any other flights. It seems like ordinary beer to me, I have never heard people raving about it as something particularly special. I usually opt for a soda or apple/orange juice. I have never been served food on the 2 hour inter-Europe flights I have taken -- only a small, packaged snack (nuts, pretzels, etc) similar to snacks served on United. My sister lives in Berlin and has found British Airways to be very reliable and service-oriented. She only takes BA around Europe (England, Spain, Italy, etc) and has never been disappointed with their airline.
Old Feb 13th, 2004, 11:58 AM

My husband flies to Germany from London (far too) often. Hands down- BA over Lufthansa in his opinion. For all its faults, BA is a "better" airline. If you're still not sure check around and see which airline has more flights on your route. If a flight is cancelled or there is a problem, you might get on a different flight faster on one airline v the other.
Old Feb 13th, 2004, 12:00 PM

I flew Lufthansa and were disappointed by the seats (cloth) and seat space on international flights. It was very uncomfortable and I'm pretty short (just over 5ft). I flew inter-Europe, Frankfurt to Rome and got the leather seats with more space and was served breakfast.

I must say that the service was great both times I flew with them. The food was okay. I didn't try the beer, sorry. I think that the planes used on int'l flights just need to be upgraded a bit (seats, tv).

Sorry I couldn't give you a comparison with BA...I've never flown BA.