NWA or British airways Coach to Europe?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 2nd, 2005, 12:45 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

NWA is about 70$ cheaper than BA but which one has better service, maybe a little bit better seats, entertainment systems ?
I think European airlines probably have better food than American based airlines, what do you think?
Old Feb 2nd, 2005, 12:49 PM

I have flown both to/from Europe in the past year and feel there's no discernable difference in food, entertainment or seats.

BC
Old Feb 2nd, 2005, 12:54 PM
ira

Hi mm,

See www.seatguru.com

It might depend on which equipment you get on NWA.

Old Feb 2nd, 2005, 01:15 PM

We normally fly BA from Detroit to London but we'll be traveling on NW to Gatwick for the first time in a couple of weeks.

I've only ever flown NW domestically, so I'm not sure what to expect on an international flight. We've always been very pleased with the service on BA (as compared to US domestic carriers.) But the price was right on NW this time.

I would imagine if you are traveling coach class, there won't be a whole lot of difference in the seats. BA has the adjustable headrest things and individual seatback monitors and from what I've been able to find out, some of NW international planes have the monitors and some don't. Cheack out seatguru.com for your specific plane.

BA's food has always been better than most airline food but we've noticed the budget cuts over the past few years.

Old Feb 2nd, 2005, 01:48 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I would also put the flights and routing into the equasion when you compare the two. Times, number of transfers, airports you go thru, etc.

I like British Air just fine. Love the little seatback entertainment screens. Food and service is OK. Drinks are free. Plus I prefer the overnight flight, not having to stop in this country but go nonstop to London (flying from the west coast USA).
Old Feb 2nd, 2005, 01:52 PM
jay

It depends on what you are flying on. If out of Dtw it is the new A330, If out of MSP a DC10. I fly NWA or their partners exclusively and I can give you some advice on where to sit. BA may have direct service so that may be a factor.
Old Feb 2nd, 2005, 01:58 PM

Where are you flying from? Out of Seattle I would probably select BA because it goes over the pole instead of through Detroit or another US port which adds hours and hours to the flight.
Old Feb 2nd, 2005, 02:17 PM
KT

I agree with bookchick -- I have not found any discernible difference in long-haul economy. In about 25 RTs to Europe, I've had better and worse flights, but it hasn't seemed to depend on the carrier's nationality.

Is the NW flight on NW metal or is it a KLM codeshare with your connection in Amsterdam? In the latter, you still get the same advantage of flying the northern route without stopping in the US.
Old Feb 2nd, 2005, 03:00 PM

Received 79 Likes on 8 Posts
<i>Out of Seattle I would probably select BA because it goes over the pole instead of through Detroit or another US port which adds hours and hours to the flight.</i>

NW flies nonstop to AMS from SEA, same route as BA.

To me the destination and total travel time would be important. If one is connecting past the first point of entry, then choosing between LGW or AMS (NW/KLM) or LHR (BA) would be a no-brainer to me. I like BA, I do not like Heathrow.

In the OP's question, yes, the airplane makes a big difference. BA in coach would definitely be preferable to NW on a DC-10. If one could raise the ante, you could shoot for World Traveler Plus on BA, which is way more comfortable than WT- or NW/KL coach. About 20% - 25% more in most cases. Maybe a tossup on a 6-7 hr flight, huge difference on 9-11.
Old Feb 2nd, 2005, 03:53 PM
Original Poster

Thank you guys so much !
We have just made our reservations on BA:
DTW-LHR-PRG 4 nights Prague
PRG-LHR 3 nights London
LHR-DTW.

Had we chosen NWA, we would have had to change planes in AMS if wanted to go any where in Europe. We chose London over Amsterdam 'cause we heared that Amsterdam has so much natural beauty that will probably be covered with snow in March, you know the famous dutch rose gardens and all that stuff.

I've never been any where to east of Sweden/France/England in Europe, so I have no idea what Prague is going to be like !

Old Feb 2nd, 2005, 04:10 PM

The BA flight from DTW to LHR is on a 777 - has the seatback monitors and usually arrives at Heathrow a little ahead of schedule. That's the flight we normally take.

Old Feb 2nd, 2005, 04:18 PM
Original Poster

We originally wanted to redeem BA miles for coach seats, but our miles were not enough. But they were enough for an upgrade from coach to business !
We only paid for coach seats, but we're going to travel with people who have paid $7,350 per seat !!!
Old Feb 2nd, 2005, 04:28 PM

How great! I've often looked longingly at those nice business class seats as I trudge back to coach. World Traveller Plus is the best we've ever done.
Old Feb 2nd, 2005, 04:44 PM
Original Poster

Oh kayb tell me about it! this is my first, and probably going to be my last time in business class ! my current frequent flyer miles =3 which is not even enough to get me an extra napkin for dinner lol !!
Old Feb 2nd, 2005, 04:50 PM

Well, in business class, they'll probably bring you an extra napkin for free.
Old Feb 2nd, 2005, 04:57 PM

You will be in New Club World, a very fine ride. Seats that become flat beds, personal TV, amenity kit, champagne, great food. Practice sniffing at the rest of us.
Old Feb 2nd, 2005, 05:33 PM
Original Poster

Are you sure that DTW-LHR business seats become flat beds? 'cause when the (flat-bed at business) service started two years ago, it was only between LHR and JFK/EWR, Chicago and LAX, maybe also SFO too. But not from DTW.
Old Feb 2nd, 2005, 06:00 PM

Pretty sure all the LHR planes are NCW now; only some LGW 777s and LHR 767s are still waiting I think. Call BA if in doubt.
Old Feb 2nd, 2005, 06:16 PM

I've walked past those flat beds in business class on the way back to coach. Yes, the DTW&gt;LHR route has them and they <i>look</i> very comfortable. And First Class looks <i>really, really</i> nice. (sigh!) maybe someday...
Old Feb 3rd, 2005, 05:57 AM
jay

MMHH, be sure to partake in the BA club at heathrow. It is fabulous. I dont know what the story is at dtw or if they even have one there. You will love it. I hope you like champagne.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -