Theatre Confusion!!Mousetrap or ???

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 25th, 2005, 07:29 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Need suggestions for theatre choices for a family with teenagers ages 13-17 travelling to London in July. We are a mix of girls and boys and my son is not too keen on musicals. Would Mousetrap or "tourist trap" as it is often called here, be a mistake? Is it boring? We were looking for a comedy or mystery venue. If we had to choose a musical would you recommend the Lion King or Chitty Chitty Bang Bang? Thanks so much. I've been reading these posts for quite awhile, and am leaning towards Mousetrap if it's not a bore. Thanks!
Old Apr 25th, 2005, 08:11 AM

Mousetrap is not a bore, and my 13-year-old daughter and I enjoyed it a lot. She just happens to love old-fashioned, British, Agatha Christie-style mysteries. But depending on your teens' preferences, they *might* find it a bit stodgy. If you're looking for other non-musical options, The Woman in Black is supposed to be truly scary and History Boys is supposed to be great (it wasn't playing on nights we had free).

I don't have any first hand experience with Lion King or Chitty Chitty Bang Bang, but our friends who saw CCBB thought it was great. Our favorite musicals are The Producers, Chicago, Les Mis and Phantom.
Old Apr 25th, 2005, 08:33 AM

The Mousetrap would be fine - not the greatest theatre experience of all time or anything - but a decent diversion for a family w/ kids. But you will probably have to pay full price for the tix since the Mousetrap does not release tickets to the TKTS 1/2 price booth.
Old Apr 25th, 2005, 09:40 AM

"The Mousetrap" has been running for HOW many years now???? You could always take them to "Jerry Springer."
Old Apr 25th, 2005, 09:46 AM

The Mousetrap is a classic. Anyone who says it is a tourist trap is nuts.
I have seen it twice, separated by 30 years and enjoyed it both times.

The acting both times was superb. Remember, these are real people doing with no chance to stop, cut, and edit the tape.

I think you will enjoy it and be ready for the ending. And no, I will not tell you who did it. The audience is bound to secrecy.
Old Apr 25th, 2005, 10:23 AM
oldie

How about Blthe Spirit?
It's funny but won't bring a blush to the cheek of Aunt Edna or a young teenager

Old Apr 25th, 2005, 11:15 AM

Our entire family saw Mousetrap a few years ago, kids ranging from 11 to 16. The youngest fell asleep because he was bored. We all LOVED Chitty Chitty Bang Bang, and disliked Lion King when we saw it a few years ago in New York. (Other than the costumes, which were magnificent, the acting was poor and I personally am just about sick of the whole "circle of life" nonsense. The acting in London may be much better.) Actually, we--especially the teens--enjoyed My Fair Lady best of all. That show is closed now, but I mention it to make the point that a "tried and true" show like Phantom or Les Mis might be a good bet.
More recently we saw Mama Mia, a musical but a comedy, too. A tad bit off color but not too much so for 13+.
Old Apr 25th, 2005, 11:43 AM
mjs

I have probably seen over 100 productions in London over the years but never Mousetrap until I took my teenagers to london 2 years ago. Mousetrap is old fashioned but both my children enjoyed it as did their parents. The kids thought Lion king was Ok but both parents hated it. We all loved My Fair Lady. Phantom and Les Mis were enjoyed by all. You might also look to see if there are any Shakespeare comedies playing. My children have found that they do like Shakespeare after all after seeing Twelfth Night and As you like it.
Old Apr 25th, 2005, 12:31 PM

Hi.

At age 16 I gave what I believe was the definitive Giles Ralson interpretation which left the audience gasping in astonishment. Critics could not find the words to describe what they had seen. Thank you. Thank you very much.

Inasmuch as your kids missed my inimitable display of the thespian arts, the London stage would be a decent substitute, albeit pale by comparison.

"The Mousetrap" is a grand old chestnut which should not be missed.

B.V.
Old Apr 25th, 2005, 02:22 PM

My family (including two children ages 11 and 14) really enjoyed Mousetrap. There is a reason it has become a British institution-- it's well-done and enjoyed by all ages. When in London...
Old Apr 28th, 2005, 09:18 AM

Mousetrap is sort of "old-hat"...but suitable for your mixed group. Have you considered "The Complete Works of William Shakespeare, Abridged" (or anything by the Reduced Shakespeare Company)? My teenagers thought it was a riot (they had been *force-fed* some Shakespeare in school).
Old Apr 28th, 2005, 09:25 AM

We were in London two weeks ago and saw Lion King and CC-BB. They were both outstanding and you and your kids would love them both. I think we enjoyed CC-BB more and to top it off we got half-price tickets at the TKTS in Leichester Square so it was cheap. We paid full price for Lion King.

I don't know how old your "non-mucial" son is but I would bet he would enjoy Chitty Chitty Bang Bang.
Old Apr 28th, 2005, 09:36 AM

KidsToLondon: I would have usually recommended The Complete Works too.. Teenagers usually LOVE it. But I thought they were on hiatus or on tour. I do know that other shows are scheduled at the Criterion through July.
Old May 2nd, 2005, 07:21 AM

Janus,

Reduced Shakespeare Company returns to the Criterion on May 31, I believe

Dave
Old May 2nd, 2005, 07:27 AM

...OR, Maybe not....that's a shame