The World's 50 Best Restaurants 2024

Old Jun 7th, 2024, 01:15 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The World's 50 Best Restaurants 2024

The World's 50 Best Restaurants 2024. Three of the four best restaurants are in Spain.
No.1 Disfrutar, Barcelona
No.2 Asador Etxebarri, Atxondo, Basque Country
No.3 Table by Bruno Verjus, Paris
No.4 DiverXO, Madrid
https://www.theworlds50best.com/stor...-the-list.html

Old Jun 7th, 2024, 01:37 AM

Funny. As a Basque local, I´ve been to Etxebarri 5 times. First one, when it was a "standard" grill restaurant and they served steaks and other local products, with a local clientele. Then, I´ve visited it 4 other times, and I´ve found it good, but not outstanding. Overrated, in my opinion. What´s really amazing is the location of the restaurant and the beautiful valley and mountains behind it. His neighbor, Txispa, also Michelin starred, is a fierce competitor now. Also, Mendi Goikoa, much cheaper, but close in quality.
Old Jun 7th, 2024, 04:32 AM

From my Hungry Onion post: "Etxebarri on Sunday mornings"

Chef Bittor Argonmaniz decided in 2018 to open Extebarri’s usually closed downstairs bar ONLY on Sunday mornings, starting at 11 am (more or less) to show his appreciation to those in the area for their support over the years, starting in 1990, when this simple village “bar de pueblo” turned into an Asador, and subsequently became world famous.

Here on Sunday mornings until about 2 pm, when they run out of dishes, one can feast on a groaning board of elaborate pintxos and cazuelitas (little casseroles dishes), such as migas topped with Gernika peppers or larger dishes like albóndigas (meat balls), callos (tripe), chipirones en su tinta (squid in black ink), mejillones en salsa (spicy mussels).
Prices range from €3 for a pintxo (a gilda, croquette, txistorra), to €7 for a small cazuelita, to €12 for a larger dish.

To accompany these dishes, we ordered a red vermouth, or here called a “marianito”. One can have a pre-lunch here for €15-20, plus drinks.
Although we didn’t have dessert, apparently the same smoked milk ice cream that is served upstairs is also available at the bar (next time…)

This Sunday experience downstairs is so popular that by noon the parking lot is filled as well as other parking in this tiny village. By noon the line to order at the bar reaches out the door. One can sit at high tables that surround the bar or on low tables, or when it becomes extremely crowded, there are spill over benches outside on the Plaza de San Juan in front of the town hall, the frontón and the village church.

So for anyone in this vicinity on a Sunday morning, not having snagged that highly coveted Etxebarri reservation (or it's just beyond the budget), this is a way to sample Bittor’s cooking, created from the leftover ingredients of the week before the Monday closure, at a mere fraction of the price.

I agree with mikelg about the beauty of this valley and also that Mendi Goikoa, where we've stayed, is a lovely place to dine.

Last edited by Maribel; Jun 7th, 2024 at 04:49 AM.