The Topic of American Bashing

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 26th, 2006, 03:43 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

While I certainly did not vote for Bush, and definately could be considered a liberal, I want to pose this question...

We are on a forum discussing the beauty of other lands and cultures and places we all like to travel to and from. The essence of travel is learning and seeing new people, places, and lands, right?

Does anyone else find it a bit offensive when, even in fun, entire cultures, lands, and peoples are made fun of? Wouldn't that be a sort of issue with stereotypes?

For one, as an American of many different ethnic backgrounds, I realize that NOT all Americans are the same. I have made, thankfully, many friends from London and other parts of Europe who were shocked when they learned more about me and my beliefs and they realized I did not fit their stereotype of a typical "American".

I agree that when in Rome, one should do as the Romans do to the best of their ability. But I also realize that it takes a while to change old habits, and some things that are comfortable and ok in one culture and land, may be very uncomfortable and not ok in another.

I know many on here are just making jokes, but I find it a bit depressing that so many think that making jokes on stereotypes is ok. I think that many would find it offensive or at the least ignorance on the part of the jokester if the comments were made about their culture or land of origin.
Old Feb 26th, 2006, 04:01 PM

what?
Old Feb 26th, 2006, 04:02 PM

nearly all of the "american bashing" on this board comes from american europhiles who are ashamed. wouldn't you agree? i'm not sure if this is a matter of stereotyping...more like just a weird, self conscious view of oneself as a nation.

it's not very clear in your post what your problem is. your subject is american bashing but i'm not sure how this relates to your post. sorry, i don't get it.
Old Feb 26th, 2006, 04:06 PM
Original Poster

My point was that those who bash any culture are missing the joys and beauty of traveling.

From the numerous posts that bashed not only Americans, both other Nationalities as well, I found it disturbing that people made the actions of a select few representative of entire nations and cultures.
Old Feb 26th, 2006, 04:14 PM
P_M

Anyone who is even halfway familiar with this board knows that threads like this do nothing but stir up trouble. This thread will get ugly and it will be deleted by the editors. So what's the point?

Old Feb 26th, 2006, 04:19 PM

I did not vote for Bush. I have never been bashed traveling outside the United States. The closest thing to "American Bashing" I've experienced on this board was the discussions of creme, afternoon, and high teas with the point being High tea is not posh but a working class version of dinner (or supper depending on your origin in the US).

So, I suppose the answer to your question (?) is "no".

The rest of the post is just too hard to follow.
Original Poster

I am sorry. I do not mean to stir up any problems. I was just disappointed by some of the generalizations I saw on a recent post.

I love this forum for all that I have learned about travel, and from all of the advice I have received.

I was simply trying to say, that even though some things are said in fun and in jest and not meant to be harmful, that I felt that making comments or generalizations about entire cultures or nationalities was a bit offensive, even if those are made by people from that group.
ira

Dear M,

Your are arguing against a trait that is common to all humans.

I don't know how many times I have heard Europeans say, "Well, you know how the xxx are".

It is also why we have statistical analysis; so that we don't substitute anecdotes for evidence.

Don't let it worry you.

Quite frankly, I wonder why all you bleeding-heart, knee-jerk liberals are always going on about "stereotypes".

I don't thnk I really have to put a smiley face, do I?
Old Feb 26th, 2006, 04:22 PM
Original Poster

I know you are right...I also get upset when some Americans say things about the French. Some of the things are based upon silly stereotypes. I just don't like it in general when people say things about an entire group of people.

Yes, sigh, I am one of those liberals. Ha!!

I
Old Feb 26th, 2006, 04:24 PM
P_M

If you say you were not looking to stir up trouble, then I will take you at your word. But stereotyping of all nationalities occurs everywhere, and most everyone will fall victim to it at some time or another. It can't be avoided. Like others on this board, I have never felt bashed for being American. People treat me the way I treat them and they judge me for the person I am.
Old Feb 26th, 2006, 04:30 PM
Original Poster

Yes, I was not stiring up trouble. And I also acknowledged that it was not just Americans that negative comments were made about. Thankfully, other posters on here as well did not care for a certain post and pointed out how offensive it was to mention and label an action by the nationality of the person(s) who supposedly committed the "offensive" action.

I am for everyone learning about all people and cultures and hey, if a person is rude or gets too much at a buffet or scratches an important monument, then THAT person is rude, and their nationality has nothing to do with it.

I find it odd that though I am arguing for more....understanding of different cultures and more cultural sensitivity, I am somehow being labeled negatively? Interesting.
Old Feb 26th, 2006, 04:31 PM

The way I see it, "bleeding heart Lieberal" is a complement. There is just too much in this world to make our hearts bleed, and if bleeding from the heart for the sorrows of mankind is bad, then I must be horribly rotten.

However, there is nothing knee-jerk about me. I don't just react as a Liberal; I consider every situation on its own, and find myself taking positions that a liberal platform would not include.

And if there are knee-jerk liberals, I'm absolutely certain that there are knee-jerk conservatives, too.
Old Feb 26th, 2006, 04:32 PM

ps. Lieberal was a totally innocent typo.
Old Feb 26th, 2006, 04:34 PM
ira

I guess I did have to put a smiley face.
Old Feb 26th, 2006, 04:36 PM
Original Poster

No, you didnt have to put a smiley face. I knew you were coming from a good place and I liked your post! I think your post was very cool!

You totally rock!
Old Feb 26th, 2006, 04:39 PM

Dear Ira,

Nah, my brain just processes information much more slowly than I type.

But maybe some knee jerk Conservatives will read it anyway, and stop using that stupid phrase.

Sorry about that,
Debbie (my only excuse is a brain injury; I'll never be as sharp as I once was)
Old Feb 26th, 2006, 04:39 PM
ira

Thank you, M.

Old Feb 26th, 2006, 04:43 PM

here's a question to test your tendency to use stereotypes.

Describe a Mormon or a JW
Old Feb 26th, 2006, 04:44 PM

that wasn;t really a question, was it?
Old Feb 26th, 2006, 04:47 PM
Original Poster

what? Sorry, I am missing the point you are making. Please explain.

I could only discuss WHAT a Mormon or Jehovah's Witness believes religous wise according to their respective religious tennants....I would not be able to say what they or their group is like personality or action wise.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -