The "three lions" are total losers! Why?

Aug 22nd, 2007, 05:49 PM
Original Poster

The "three lions" are total losers! Why?

Why?
Aug 22nd, 2007, 08:13 PM

HUH?
Aug 22nd, 2007, 10:11 PM

England 1, Germany 2 - thus they become the last foreign side to win at the old Wembley and the 1st foreign side to win at the new Wembley
Aug 22nd, 2007, 10:38 PM

Never mind boyzzz...
It was just a 'friendly' !!

With the endless resources they have, England will do ok. They will make the quarter finals then go out on pens..lol

At least Wales beat Bulgaria... We won't qualify (again) but to quote evry manager in the past 20yrs, " we can build on this" lol

Muck
Cymru Am Byth!!

Aug 22nd, 2007, 10:41 PM

Because the English game has become driven by money. It is not in the best interests of the clubs and the players to see our national team be succesful.
The only thing that will help to make the England team a force again, will be a shorter domestic season and the FA enforcing the message that the national team is importnat to the fans.
The FA won't do that because they pander to the clubs. A shorter season will cost them money and we can't have that can we?
The England team is a sad reflection of how English football is no longer interested in the supporters.
I'll stick to watching Harlow Town. It doesn't cost me £45 to get in and the players look like they are making an effort.
Should I have put this on the Friday rant?
Aug 22nd, 2007, 10:44 PM

It's only a game chaps.....she says ducking.
Aug 22nd, 2007, 11:11 PM

Did anyone indulge in all this nonsense when Germany got hammered 5-1 at home by England six years ago - when the seasons were just as long and when the players were almost as scandalously overpaid?

It's just a bloody game.
Aug 22nd, 2007, 11:58 PM

Well it might be because nearly all the team are injured, recovering after injury, returning after injury or suspended.
They'll soon have to let the mascots play.
Aug 23rd, 2007, 12:02 AM

Don't forget the OP is German and so unlikely to have posted something similar 5 years ago. Even I enjoyed that match - we listened to it whilst driving from Derby to York, one family reunion to anther. Made a nice change from family
Aug 23rd, 2007, 02:32 AM

in the words of the song..."two world wars and one world cup, doo dah doo dah"

It was a bit pants wasn't it? And that gold star on our shirts is simply sad.

Give the job to Big Martin Jol.
Aug 23rd, 2007, 02:54 AM

I somehow cannot imagine anyone over there actually saying, much less singing, "doo dah doo dah."
Aug 23rd, 2007, 03:05 AM

But we do. Along with "Ten German Bombers", The Dambusters March (together with goggle actions), "you only sing when you're marching" and other childish delights.

The Germans sing a song about mad cow disease - but we can't understand a word of it as it's in German. Needless to say - they understand the songs in English. Last night I thought it was funny when the Germans started singing "football's coming home"

Football grounds are not for the sensitive.

Aug 23rd, 2007, 03:10 AM

Dukey

Try Sting for the doo dah business. (For the life of me, I can't remember the song, something about 'that's all I want to say to you.....')
Aug 23rd, 2007, 03:17 AM

Di doo doo doo, di dah dah dah....
Aug 23rd, 2007, 03:28 AM

What I don't understand is why the red tops want us to dislike the Germans (article in UK press this month with photos of inflatable spitfires on centre page) ghastley
Aug 23rd, 2007, 03:29 AM

Well thanks for that feedback <G>!!!

I, for one, do not necessarily think the people in Britain, at least the ones I have had a chance to meet, are necessarily all that "reserved" and so forth..and I am very glad of it.

I've never been to a football match (if that is correct term) but I suspect in some ways the whole "football mania" thing isn't necessarily that much different over there than it is for football "games" over here.

I know, different sports entirely, but with organized athletics comes the usual fan activity regardless of where it is located.
Aug 23rd, 2007, 03:57 AM

The big difference between football matches in europe and sports events in the USA is the presence of large numbers of away fans - who will try and out-sing the home fans.

Just don't expect hymns! (although you get hymns at rugby - together with a lot of other unacceptable behaviour)