The seats in London's theatres are too small for Americans

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 7th, 2003, 01:45 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

An article in today's SF paper &quot;American Rears Too Wide For Brit Theater&quot;. They are going to make their seats wider to accomodate overweight americans. Wow! Should we laugh or feel ashamed?<BR><BR>http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/articl...06/MNbutts.DTL <BR>
Old Feb 7th, 2003, 01:59 PM

Actually, we should do both. I'll laugh, and you can feel ashamed for (1) being unable to comprehend that the article simply doesn't say what you claim, or (2) not bothering to actually read it in the first place.
Old Feb 7th, 2003, 02:07 PM

We should be ashamed that we embrace the &quot;super sizing&quot; mentality when it comes to our eating habits. However to be fair, the Brits' bums are getting just as big and those old theatre seats were designed to accomodate a &quot;Victorian&quot; figure (small butts). Perhaps the British are using the American ass as a scapegoat to meet the wide seating needs of their own.
Old Feb 7th, 2003, 02:08 PM
Art

The first paragraph clearly states that the seats are to narrow for American behinds.
Old Feb 7th, 2003, 02:09 PM

I've been watching a lot of BBC lately. It sure seems to me like there are as many large Brits as Yanks.
Old Feb 7th, 2003, 02:17 PM

That's right, Art - and the second paragraph clearly states that it's the opinion of a single person, which last time I checked doesn't make it a fact. More importantly, nowhere does the article say that the theaters are going to &quot;make their seats wider to accomodate overweight americans&quot; (sic), which was what Faina claimed and what I was commenting upon.
Old Feb 7th, 2003, 02:24 PM

I suspect this article may have picked up on various pieces in the London press about how many of the West End theatres are in dire need of some major re-vamping, given that so many were built so many years ago, and that attitudes, tastes and expectations have changed. Not to mention that quite a few really haven't had that much solid investment in upgrading over the decades.
Old Feb 7th, 2003, 02:28 PM

I would more about the old theatres being fire traps than having cramped chairs, but now that it has been mentioned, the seats are awfully cramped and I have an average size rear. <BR><BR>The knee room is cramped too, does that mean that Americans have big knees? <BR><BR>I have seen many plump Brits from the rear and don't think the pot should call the kettle overweight, or whatever.
Old Feb 7th, 2003, 03:30 PM

Received 79 Likes on 8 Posts
At least on Southwest Airlines if you have to buy two seats to fit your moneymaker, you get double rations of peanuts. <BR>
Old Feb 7th, 2003, 03:40 PM

huh... well I work in Public Health, including keeping up on international comparative health systems and health delivery, and I know that WHO's report on worldwide obesity ranks the US and UK at about the same place, actually.<BR><BR>I went to several London theatre productions last August and in at least two of them the seats were excruciatingly small and I am avg. size, also. It wasn't the seat so much for me (although they weren't big), but that there was almost no knee room or space between the rows. It was worse than any airline, and those are getting pretty bad (espec. BA now that I think of it). At least I'm only 5'6&quot;, I can't imagine some poor guy 6'+ having to deal with it. Well, part of the problem was indeed that there was a gentleman next to me, and he was taller of course, so he just kind of stuck his legs into my space, which limited my space even further. It wasn't comfortable at all. One was that theater next to the Leiceister Sq metro stop where Vincent at Brixton was playing.
Old Feb 10th, 2003, 06:47 AM

I sat in 4 different London theaters in 2002. I weight 250lbs and was not uncomfortable in any of the seats.<BR><BR>Can't say the same for my British Airways flight to the Channel Islands. Even the tiny people were crampted there.<BR><BR> Keith
Old Feb 10th, 2003, 07:28 PM
lynlor

It is not that the seats are so small, but that the rows are so incredibly close together . There is no room for your legs.

Old Feb 10th, 2003, 07:51 PM

Is anyone disturbed by the fact that the British government is going to spend their taxpayers dollars to widen seats in privately owned theaters?
Old Feb 10th, 2003, 07:59 PM

Well, at first glance that does seem strange, but then it's no doubt that the West End theatre scene is a huge draw to London and is a gigantic boom not only to tourism but the entire economy. So I suppose it is not much different than the US government pouring tax dollars into such things as privately owned airlines.
Old Feb 11th, 2003, 10:55 AM

I read an article today about how the rest of the world is catching up to the US in terms of obesity. Sad.<BR><BR>As lynlor says, the width of the seat isn't the problem--it's the space between the rows of seats. When I go to football matches in England, my knees usually are hitting the back of the person in front of me, and I'm only 5'6&quot;!
Old Feb 11th, 2003, 01:04 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I am almost nine feet tall and wiegh over 600lbs, I have never had a problem fitting into a London theater seat. Getting out of the seat has been, at times, difficult.
Old Feb 11th, 2003, 01:11 PM

Hi, Logandog, remember me? I think you and your twin sat on each side of me on my last flight to Europe. How are you guys doing?
Old Feb 11th, 2003, 01:53 PM

Seets fit me just fine.
Old Feb 11th, 2003, 04:59 PM

Hi Logandog.<BR>You don't happen to have an 'Afro' hairstyle do you?<BR><BR>If so I think I was in the row behind you at 'Cats'.
Old Feb 11th, 2003, 05:08 PM

The &quot;butt's to big&quot; has been a problem in New York for years. I dare a group of average sized Americans to attempt to utilize every seat in one of the Japanese built subway cars that have been in the city fleet for years. <BR><BR>

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -