The Rain in Spain

Oct 4th, 2010, 07:23 AM
Original Poster

The Rain in Spain

I have a few questions about fall weather in Spain, primarily rain. Is this some kind of rainy season where it rains every day? Is it even possibly to rain every day for 10-11 days? Do we just have bad luck? (ha)

I know it's a bit far in advance to be checking the weather, but we arrive in Spain (Malaga) early Thursday morning and stay through the following Sunday. According to weather.com, we should expect rain EVERY DAY in the city we will be in that day. I'm hoping that it's still a little early and it can't possibly rain every day of our trip, but is this normal for Spain? I know rain in Florida comes and goes and it can easily rain a bit every day for weeks...

With this kind of forecast, would you pack rainboots? I find them to be a huge waste of space and dont particularly like wearing them, but maybe they will be needed?
Oct 4th, 2010, 07:32 AM

Yesterday, I looked at the weather forecast for the next few days ( where we live). Today , they changed the forecast 180 degrees.
As most will tell you...who knows!
Oct 4th, 2010, 10:12 AM

The weather forecast is not too pessimistic, about 50% chance of rain, and that may be at night. Higher probability on sunday. It's rained a little last night, though in Estepona was pouring. Definitely dont pack rainboots, or heavy clothes either, we are still in summer garbs, though temps are beginning to go down, especially at night.
Oct 4th, 2010, 10:13 AM

Forgot to mention I write from and refer to Malaga.
Oct 4th, 2010, 11:03 AM

One year we were headed to Amsterdam - the weather forecast the day before we left was for rain everyday - we had record breaking warm, beautiful weather! Also rmember that even if the forecast is for rain, that probably will not be for all day long. So theoretically you could have 100% rainy days but still have plenty of pleasant interludes!
Oct 4th, 2010, 11:26 AM
Original Poster

thank you! We will be going to Malaga (1 night), Granada (2 nights), Seville (4 nights with a day trip to Cordoba), and Madrid (3 nights with a day trip to Toledo) and it lists RAIN for each city for the day we will be there!

I guess I'll just hope for the best and consider shifting some of our indoor plans around depending on the weather.

Glad to hear you wouldn't recommend rain boots. I'd hate to bring them.
Oct 4th, 2010, 11:28 AM

We are in the same boat (hopefully not literally) with a trip to Portugal (arriving this Friday)!
Oct 4th, 2010, 11:43 AM

One never knows with the weather. We went to Northern Spain this past May and had quite a lot of rain. Some days just lots of showers on and off and other days pouring rain and very cool temps. While I didn't take boots and don't recommend that u do, be sure to have shoes that can withstand getting wet, should u encounter rain.

Last time we were in Amsterdam we had a similar experience to sue -- weather forecast showed rain every day and we had blue skies and sunny days.
Oct 4th, 2010, 11:48 AM

We are in the same boat, too! We arrive in Barcelona this Saturday, & weather.com shows rain for EVERY DAY we are in Barcelona! Some days, heavey rain!!! It ruined my day! I was thinking of buying rainboots but after what Josele said, I won't. My daughter suggested buying rain boots but I will tell her not to. As long as it doesn't rain all day long, that is fine with me. I plan on bringing a light weight jacket & umbrellas, of course. Should we pack rain ponchos?
Oct 4th, 2010, 11:51 AM

Yestravel, where in Northern Spain were you? Barcelona? San Sebastian? I know that SS is cool & rainy in October but I assumed it would be sunny in Barcelona because it's on the Mediterranean side.
Oct 4th, 2010, 12:03 PM

Last November I went to Barcelona. The weather forecast before we left said rain every day. Each day the weather forecast still said rain. It never rained! It was sunny and the 60-70s every day. Lets hope we're all lucky this time around.
Oct 4th, 2010, 01:19 PM

I often don't get the long range forecast - you look at different sources and the forecast varies greatly!
I was in Barcelona for 5 days last Match with a friend. When I returned,
my husband said something like "Too bad you did not have nice wether" ( according to what he saw on weather sites).
We had lovely, sunny days and not a drop of rain!
Good luck!
Oct 4th, 2010, 01:20 PM

sorry..March
Oct 4th, 2010, 01:32 PM
Original Poster

Hopefully we all get a bit of sunshine in there My biggest concern is actually for my husband's camera. We usually leave it at home on a rainy day but it would be a shame not to take it around with us on our first visit to Spain. That, and the sky being overcast and ugly every day.

Well, it's out of our control. We'll buy an umbrella there if we need to and I'll make sure to pack some shoes and purses I wont mind getting wet.
Oct 4th, 2010, 01:33 PM

I drove from Madrid to Somo -- went East as far as Picos Europa and then West towards San Sebastian. It was pretty much that entire portion of the Coast. Bilbao had the worse weather. After about a week, we had sunny, warmer weather as we drove thru France and down towards Barcelona. Barcleona was at the end of May and it was beautiful there.
Oct 4th, 2010, 01:56 PM

For the camera, maybe you can get one of the special underwater pouches if you are worried about it getting wet. I have one, that I use when I take the camera to the beach.