The Netherlands, France and Spain

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 23rd, 2013, 05:39 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I will be going to the above countries over August and September. I would like to know what it would cost me to draw money off either my South African ATM card or my Credit card?

I was pickpocketed in Spain so I don't want to carry too much cash on me, but I don't want to get ripped off by bank charges. Any suggestions on what I should do?
Old May 23rd, 2013, 05:52 AM

The charges will be made by your bank. You won't be charged at an ATM for withdrawals provided it is an official bank ATM not a private one.
You need to ask your bank what they charge for foreign ATM transactions.
Don't use your credit card for cash - it is treated as a loan and accrues interest immediately. USe the credit card for big payments - hotels and the like, and cash for smaller payments.
Old May 23rd, 2013, 05:56 AM

ATM and credit card will differe on the ATM you plan on using. I cannot tell you exactly as to how much it would be, but it is usualy a certain percentage of your withdrawal. What I can recommend is never carrying your purse with you if you feel insecure etc. It's much easier to simply have sufficient cash for the day needed in the front pocket of your trousers. That's also where I have my ID and credit card. If there's one spot I'll always notice that something is going on, it's the front pockets.
Old May 23rd, 2013, 07:38 AM

No one here can tell you what fees your own bank charges. All we can tell you is that ATM machines in Europe do not charge for withdrawals. If you bank with an institution that tacks on fees or adds more than a 1% charge for foreign exchange, then change banks.
Old May 23rd, 2013, 08:54 AM

It's not just your bank - it's your customer status. I know Citibank (our primary) charges some customers for ATM us ein europe - but if you hold a specific status (size and types of accounts) those fees are waived.

So only you can find out. If your bank charges - discuss options with them that would eliminate the charges.
Old May 23rd, 2013, 12:24 PM
Original Poster

Cool!

And thanks for the tip about the front pockets!