The Lakes worthwhile in Nov/Dec??

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 2nd, 2003, 05:49 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband and I are flying into Milan over Thanksgiving -- and are trying to decide between heading east towards Venice/Verona or heading north to Lake Como, etc. We only have 5 days - and don't think we can do both. It is his first time in Italy - and I want to make sure that we don't hit Lake Como and it is completely closed down! Would love some advice! Thank you!!!
Old Nov 2nd, 2003, 06:17 PM

Go to Venice. Lake Como is dreary in December. All the glorious views and scenery that you see in the summertime photos are gray and rainy in the wintertime. Venice, on the other hand, is a city that is fascinating in any weather -- perhaps more so in the winter when the canals are not so aromatic! You're likely to have fog and maybe the famous agua alta (flooding), but the locals sill tell you that November is the most romantic month in Venice.
Old Nov 2nd, 2003, 06:37 PM
JonJon

Some of the hotels, at least those around the mid-lake area of Lake Como, would be closed by that time.
I'm not certain that "dreary weather"
would be confined o Lake Como at that time of year and as beautiful as Venice can be, dreary weather is, well...dreary. But I think for ma short trip you'd find much more to do in Venice, regardless of the weather, than at the lake. And I do agree that part of the lake area's charm probably are the wonderful vistas best seen during warmer weather.

Old Nov 2nd, 2003, 06:48 PM
Original Poster

Thank you both -- you are confirming my doubts. I'm thinking that we will head east through Verona and then to Venice. Are there other towns (that we can get to via train only) that are worth a stop this time of year?
Old Nov 2nd, 2003, 09:53 PM

I totally agree with Athena39. Good choice with Verona and Venice, since you are using the train and have only 5 days you should not add any more stops. There is so much to see and do in Venice..you could spend there 5 days or more...